GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

39 psi ?

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
Is anyone putting 39 pounds of air into their tires as is stated on the door jamb as a minimum?

Seems kind of high to me

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I use 40 psi warm when I have my tires checked. With the short sidewall I want the extra pressure. I have never had issues with tire wear. But I also dont slow down cornering. :)

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Just remember all of these pressures are meant to be measured cold. Also, tire pressure depends heavily on how you drive and the tires you are using.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I run 30 PSI for extra grip

9 psi below recommended pressure?

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
9 psi below recommended pressure?

Yeah for track and drag use and launch control and cornering it works great, rides nicer too. Blew the motor in my APR Stage 2+ 2018 DSG Golf R yesterday so now I'm going to have my motor fully built, put in a big turbo, and go full send mode for next year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Yeah for track and drag use and launch control and cornering it works great, rides nicer too. Blew the motor in my APR Stage 2+ 2018 DSG Golf R yesterday so now I'm going to have my motor fully built, put in a big turbo, and go full send mode for next year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'd like to know more details about how and what failed . What oil were you using? And how long did you go between oil changes?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Is anyone putting 39 pounds of air into their tires as is stated on the door jamb as a minimum?

Seems kind of high to me
Yeah it does seem high. I actually had mine around 32psi for a long time until I realized they were that low. Apparently the dealer set them at that pressure and reset the TPMS to match so I didn't know they were that low.

Changed oil a month or so ago and checked tire pressure by referring to the door placard. I found out they were not what the manufacturer recommended so I raised them up and have not really noticed much of a difference.

During that long period of underinflation, the tires are not showing any uneven wear you would expect for underinflated tires.

Mk7sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 golf R
You do not get extra grip running 9 under. I assume you r thinking the tires will build 9 psi?
Use chalk on the edges of the tires to measure how much they roll over.
Unless u r running soft track tires and measuring temps? Even then you will not set them all at the same pressure.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Found it.

Here's the thread for anyone interested in seeing what happened...
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9336503-2018-MK7-5-DSG-Golf-R-Blown-motor

Great link. At the risk of hijacking this thread, I often wonder how many people who do a high-torque Stage 2 tune really comprehend the added stresses that the increased thermal energy in the combustion chambers does to an engine, with regards to compressive strain on the rods and increased thermal loads on the piston, valves, and head. Near 200 HP/Liter was a mark only met by highly tuned race engines (that were rebuilt regularly) not that many years ago. Not that every Stage 2 EA888 engine winds up in the scrap bin, but one ought not at all be surprised when they do.