GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

245/40/18 tire frame clearance on golf R

martinm0

hey. thanks for the info!
and ty to other responders too!!
Just bought my '19R a week ago (with only 7k miles. wtf??). Its great to find such a helpful community online!!
Welcome! If it helps, I'm at only 14k miles on my 2019 (bought new July 2019). Work from home, multiple vehicles, no real commuting. I often just make it a point to go for a drive simply to get out of the house and enjoy the car lol.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Welcome to the forum!

I ran this setup on my 17 gti the only issue I had was a rubbing on the fuel filler neck. But since your a r I believe the fuel filler neck is moved slightly so shouldn’t be any issues. I was also running Michelin ps4s which are know for wider shoulders compared to other brands so what tire you plan to run is another consideration.
That isn’t an issue on golf r. However. On large bumps without doing the screw trick you will rub on the outer fender on front.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Question for you golf r people how is the fuel filler neck different/ modified compared to the gti? I've seen were it's mentioned there is a mod to do for the gti to get it like the r but not what is actually needed. Thanks

19'R

Car(s)
golf r
Welcome! If it helps, I'm at only 14k miles on my 2019 (bought new July 2019). Work from home, multiple vehicles, no real commuting. I often just make it a point to go for a drive simply to get out of the house and enjoy the car lol

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Question for you golf r people how is the fuel filler neck different/ modified compared to the gti? I've seen were it's mentioned there is a mod to do for the gti to get it like the r but not what is actually needed. Thanks
That's interesting. Didn't know you could modify it

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
When I was looking for ways to run this setup and not rub without running spacers I came across it on the apex website talking about how they were going to to a write up on it but that never happened and it was the first time I had heard of it too.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Hi, mine is a GTI but I currently run that exact wheel spec with extreme contact tires at a 225 width. I can go up to a 235 (which I will soon), but 245's rub at the fender screw without camber dialed in. I am lowered pretty low on BC Coilovers. No rub anywhere with 225/40 and I expect the 235's to be ok too.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Sounds like you can loosen the straps and slide the tank over slightly and tighten the straps back.

The R has a different shaped tank and the filler comes at it from a different angle that doesn’t interfere with wider wheels/tires.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Sounds like you can loosen the straps and slide the tank over slightly and tighten the straps back.

The R has a different shaped tank and the filler comes at it from a different angle that doesn’t interfere with wider wheels/tires.
Interesting have to look into this more.
Thanks for the info.

Mooseman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 TT RS
I had this combination with 18x8 42 wheels and I had to do the fender screw mod to get it not to rub on big dips.
I think that with the combination of wider wheel and higher offset that you should be fine.