GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

245/40/18 tire frame clearance on golf R

19'R

Car(s)
golf r
Was considering putting 245/40/18 tires on 18x8.5 +45mm wheels, on my 2019
Golf R (with stock suspension).
Does anyone have experience with this size tire to know if tire rub/contact with R frame is a possibility going over bumps?
thanks!

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Welcome to the forum!

I ran this setup on my 17 gti the only issue I had was a rubbing on the fuel filler neck. But since your a r I believe the fuel filler neck is moved slightly so shouldn’t be any issues. I was also running Michelin ps4s which are know for wider shoulders compared to other brands so what tire you plan to run is another consideration.

19'R

Car(s)
golf r
Thanks for the response!
I was planning on using conti extremecontact. would feel better knowing for certain on fuel neck etc on R.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Thanks for the response!
I was planning on using conti extremecontact. would feel better knowing for certain on fuel neck etc on R.
Before I went to the ps4s I did have the extreme contact for a time and they rubbed too it’s a very slight rub on the fuel filler neck just kinda made the neck shiny but I ended up getting 10mm spacers just for a peace of mind.
With the r having a saddle gas tank I believe the filler neck got moved in an bit so you shouldn’t have an issue with rubbing.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
2019 R with mostly stock suspension but do have front and rear sway bars.
18x8.0" 45 offset with 245/40R18 PS4S.

I haven't had any rub but I also haven't pushed the car super hard on the street.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Does anyone have experience with this size tire to know if tire rub/contact with R frame is a possibility going over bumps?
thanks!

Ran this exact setup with MPSS tires on my '18 R. I experienced minor rubbing on the front fenders during heavy compression. Did the fender screw mod and that fixed it.

19'R

Car(s)
golf r
Hi. thanks for your reply!!
Im thinking that if i went narrower (235/40/18), that I can avoid that fender screw removal. The oem tire (235/35/19) diameter is .08 inches BIGGER than that.
Would you agree that would avoid fender screw?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Im thinking that if i went narrower (235/40/18), that I can avoid that fender screw removal. The oem tire (235/35/19) diameter is .08 inches BIGGER than that.
It’s likely you’ll be fine, that’s really not that aggressive of a setup.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Welcome to the forum. Can't speak on whether or not that tire will work for you but I can speak on the screw mod. It takes all of 5 minutes. You don't need to jack up the car. Only turn the wheels out of the way while doing it. You got this!

19'R

Car(s)
golf r
Welcome to the forum. Can't speak on whether or not that tire will work for you but I can speak on the screw mod. It takes all of 5 minutes. You don't need to jack up the car. Only turn the wheels out of the way while doing it. You got this!
ha. thanks. I saw the removal on youtube.

martinm0

thanks!
You'll be fine. I moved to 18x8.5 ET 45 with 245/40/18 PS4S tires this summer and no issues on stock suspension. I'm even planning on installing Bilstein B6 DCC with Eibach Pro springs and don't expect any real issues with that mild drop as well.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
You'll be fine. I moved to 18x8.5 ET 45 with 245/40/18 PS4S tires this summer and no issues on stock suspension. I'm even planning on installing Bilstein B6 DCC with Eibach Pro springs and don't expect any real issues with that mild drop as well.
My race tires are 255/40/18, same wheel size and offset, and I have no issues anywhere after the screw-mod.

19'R

Car(s)
golf r
hey. thanks for the info!
and ty to other responders too!!
Just bought my '19R a week ago (with only 7k miles. wtf??). Its great to find such a helpful community online!!