GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

235 Width Tires on stock 18x7.5" Wheels?

spessx

Ready to race!
I've got a Golf R that's going to need tires pretty soon. I want to go with Michelin PSS in 235 (225 is stock).

What are the pros and cons of putting a 235 series tire on a 7.5" wheel?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The stock wheels are officially advertised as 7.5 but they're like 7.75... there really arent cons to going 235 on stock wheels.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I was planning on doing 235/40/18 myself soon. Not sure which tire, but for sure I want to go a bit wider I don't see the issue and were not the first.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Except for the fact that 225s will handle better on a 7.5in rim than will 235s.

in what way? the extra 1/8 inch per side is almost a non factor.. in the real world no one but a pro on a track would no the difference..

beers

Obakong

Ready to race!
I just want to highlight what a good reference this link is. Everyone should read it.

Interesting disclaimer at the end of the article, lol.

"Disclaimer: The information above is a recommendation for OFF ROAD USE only. Please consult and follow your owner’s manual when sizing tires for street use, otherwise follow the above advice at your own risk."

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
I've got a Golf R that's going to need tires pretty soon. I want to go with Michelin PSS in 235 (225 is stock).

What are the pros and cons of putting a 235 series tire on a 7.5" wheel?

Would look meaty and the handling might suffer.

AR11

Ready to race!
+1

And I highly doubt you need extra grip with the Golf R. I could see running wider tires and lower PSI for drag racing on a FWD car though.

We'll I don't do any drag racing but on a road course the R can certainly benefit from some more grip -- the question is whether the trade off is worth it and at what point you reach an equilibrium.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
in what way? the extra 1/8 inch per side is almost a non factor.. in the real world no one but a pro on a track would no the difference..

beers

In real world the 235/40 rides noticeably better than the 225/40 due to extra sidewall.

I just went 235/40 and I love them, I now would never go back to 225/40.