GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 golf 1.4 6mt: Is stock flywheel dual or single mass?

Rasmus

Car(s)
2021 Golf Tsi manual
VW mechanic explained the clicks and clanks (during shifts and clutch engagement) of my transmission as a symptom of Volkswagen reverting back to single Mass flywheels the last few years.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
VW mechanic explained the clicks and clanks (during shifts and clutch engagement) of my transmission as a symptom of Volkswagen reverting back to single Mass flywheels the last few years.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

that mechanic is incorrect. It’s a DMF.

Rasmus

Car(s)
2021 Golf Tsi manual
VW service department completely removed my manual transmission, and still claim it's a single mass flywheel.

I can find literally nothing online to support this claim, and 100% of all humans I have asked agree that it's dual mass. Doesn't really instill confidence in the service department.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
VW service department completely removed my manual transmission, and still claim it's a single mass flywheel.

I can find literally nothing online to support this claim, and 100% of all humans I have asked agree that it's dual mass. Doesn't really instill confidence in the service department.
The techs are easily confused by parts that aren't oil filters and will probably be replaced by robots in a year or two.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
In Europe, 1.4TSI with manual tranny are fitted with normal single mass. However, 1.4 engines are already discontinued for years, only version with hybrid are being made.

With manual tranny, you should have a single mass 03C105269P fitted from the factory, dual mass 04E105266 is for automatic tranny (among others).

Clicking of the clutch and shifting mechanism is pretty normal for those engines, especially in hot weather when the car stands still for a while and when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Experinaced this on dozens of such cars, both with smaller MQ200 tranny and larger MQ250. The sound is a tiny bit more pronounced on Škoda cars that have a bit worse sound insulation.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Give me the gearbox code...& I'll be able to tell you..

Rasmus

Car(s)
2021 Golf Tsi manual
In Europe, 1.4TSI with manual tranny are fitted with normal single mass. However, 1.4 engines are already discontinued for years, only version with hybrid are being made.

With manual tranny, you should have a single mass 03C105269P fitted from the factory, dual mass 04E105266 is for automatic tranny (among others).

Clicking of the clutch and shifting mechanism is pretty normal for those engines, especially in hot weather when the car stands still for a while and when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Experinaced this on dozens of such cars, both with smaller MQ200 tranny and larger MQ250. The sound is a tiny bit more pronounced on Škoda cars that have a bit worse sound insulation.
Thanks for your thoughts - I'm in the US. It's a '21 golf with 2 thousand miles on her. It is my understanding that SMF are noisier when shifting/engaging the clutch, so finding out for certain my vehicle came stock with a SMF would help alleviate my concern. It has been nothing but hot here since I got the car. You are the first person other than the tech at my dealership to claim it's a SMF. I've never experienced such sloppy/loose/metallic sounding shifts on a new vehicle (I've had several new manuals this century).

The car has cost cutting measures here and there compared to the '17 golf Automatic I had, maybe because it's now discontinued in the states (only mk8 GTI/R here now for '22 and beyond).

The EPC light was on as well which was caused by the lack of hood (bonnet) insulation (more cost cutting?) causing higher temps in the engine bay and thus throwing the code. I'm wondering if the added insulation might dampen the shifting noises as little. I get the vehicle back on Monday.

Thanks for chiming in,

John

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Well the shifting mechanism is not the best but doesn’t towers from usual feeling from low-med specs of VAG petrol cars. I have Golf Mk1 with rods instead of wire linkages and it is also a bit noisy but the car is pretty old. Similar mechanism and alike tranny was on Mk4 that I owned and it had serious issues to fit gears from time to time. My previous Mk6 had a bit smaller tranny but similar mechanism like my recent Mk7.5 (and yours I suppose) and the felling was the same. All-in-all, it is not very well vs. some manufacturers like BMW, Mazda (try manual in Peugeot, Hyundai etc. and you would love yours in VW) but in line what is pretty much the normal for VAG cars. I have the cars from very begging and the noise is still the same.

Single mass has one advantage – far less prone to be broken that the dual one. So good for you (and me). Manufacturers usually ads the dual to less cultivated cars (diesel, 3cylinder) and automatic trannies.

Yes, facelifted Golfs have some minor cost cutting like missing covers/compartments here and there and no exhaust tips but have some ultimate advantages – LED headlights, MIB 2.5 infotaiment

I have hood insulation from the factory on my 1.4TSI. It is there for the purpose of sound insulation, not to regulate level of heat. It can vary depending on region. On the contrary, no insulation means more heat out thus less prone to overheating (that’s why I haven’t added any to my Mk1 which emits hell of the heat). I even added two layers of insulation under the original carpet and haven’t realized any changes to engine temperature (only after I added full scale under cover instead of short one from the factory and oil temp went up by ca. 2-3°C on highway) and only marginal reduction of noise – I don’t like the sound of the hi-pressure pump and it is still there.

Last edited:

nonoabby123

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
I've got the 02Q 6mt transmission on my 4motion sportwagen.

Changing gears was much quieter after changing to a different manual transmission fluid vs the oem fluid

Rasmus

Car(s)
2021 Golf Tsi manual
Yes, the thought occurred to me that adding the insulation would actually increase heat retention - but it is the fix according to a technical service bulletin so I'm just going to roll with it.

I just want my car back, noisy shifts and all!

I do not have led headlights - I prefer it that way. But they look strange a top the row of LED Jewel DRL's. The turn signal stalk, HVAC controls and console cup holders are laughably brittle plastic on the '21 compared to my 2017.

I traded in a 2019 Jetta r line for this vehicle. While being a perfectly competent vehicle, I just found it boring to drive, laden with annoying features, and it felt very American - whereas the golf feels more like a proper Volkswagen to me. Not a huge deal but the Jetta had the worst stereo of any vehicle I've ever had (I'm a picky audio engineer).

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
FWD will likely by fitted with 02S family of gearbox, RSW is quite frequent one

Rasmus

Car(s)
2021 Golf Tsi manual
The techs are easily confused by parts that aren't oil filters and will probably be replaced by robots in a year or two.
So are you of the opinion that my vehicle came with a dual mass?

Despite the opinions I've received on this thread (which are most appreciated) I'm still looking at a 50/50 split and don't know what to believe.

A VW tech and many folks online insist DMF, another vw tech and someone here claim SMF.

The joy of internet research.