GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI S vs. 2017 GTI Sport

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
A quick up-close look at the Hyundai took it off my consideration list- it has no where near the functional space and utility of the GTI. As one of the 3 local VW dealers was literally across the street from the Hyundai dealer, I did a quick drive thru their lot to see what they had. No GTI's, one or two Golfs, a handful of regular Jettas and not much else. Just like when I was looking for my current ride a couple of years ago... The second dealer's lot was just as bare of new VW's as the first one. Time to start some internet searching.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Grab an SE if you can. The adaptive headlights and DCC are worth it
Not sure about the adaptive headlights, but the DCC is only available on the Autobahn package per the GTI configurator. Too much additional fat on that package for my needs.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeppp. No more trunk liner, no liner underneath the hood, no more lined/cooled glovebox, oh and also no more storage underneath the driver seat.
But, you get standard performance package and standard driver-assistance tech. So IMO, mehh. All that stuff is easy enough to get back. Trunk liner and hood liner off ebay, older style glovebox fits right in as well (and supposedly the car has a block off plate you can remove to hook up the vent inside the glovebox). I'm not sure about the storage under the seat, but I wouldn't be surprised if it bolted right in as well.
Thankfully all that stuff is easy/cheap to add back in. But the PP and the driver assistance features are not so I feel like it makes up for it

@theDoktor I think your best bet would be to find a Rabbit trim 2019 instead of a 2020. As @Reyes351 said, it's probably the closest to the trim you have now with the lighting package and performance pack and all that.

Great suggestion on the Rabbit trim, but not available as a new car. And I'm not going to consider a VW CPO after my last experience with that mess.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Not sure about the adaptive headlights, but the DCC is only available on the Autobahn package per the GTI configurator. Too much additional fat on that package for my needs.

Thats odd. I have a ‘19 SE with the “Experience” package which includes DCC and Fender audio.

But checking the configurator myself... you appear to be correct. But the adaptive headlights are listed as standard. Lame that they messed with the trims.

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Looks like they changed things slightly between the 19's and the 20's. Any mod limits for your intended AutoX class?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hyundai, like it’s sister Kia, will always be quickly dismissed. They make a shit car, always have.

I've had two Hyundais. 2011 Accent that I put 250, 000 miles on in 5 years and it was extremely reliable. And a 2016 Veloster Turbo that I hopped up and drove for 150,000 miles with no problems.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Looks like they changed things slightly between the 19's and the 20's. Any mod limits for your intended AutoX class?
Wheel diameter- 1"+ or -; struts (no coil-overs), 200 wear rating tires, one sway bar change-out- either front or rear, adjustable OK. Already have 17 rims with RE71's mounted. Need to replace rear bar, install adjustable struts eventually. I've got a bigger, adjustable front bar, endlinks & hardware, but that's a mod of last resort, given that I have to drop the front subframe to install it.

Last edited:

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thats odd. I have a ‘19 SE with the “Experience” package which includes DCC and Fender audio.

But checking the configurator myself... you appear to be correct. But the adaptive headlights are listed as standard. Lame that they messed with the trims.
I just realized that the sunroof is standard, damnit. Too much weight up high, loss of headroom when wearing a helmet, on top of the terrible reliability I've had with multiple Euro manufacturer's sunroofs, including VW.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I just realized that the sunroof is standard, damnit. Too much weight up high, loss of headroom when wearing a helmet, on top of the terrible reliability I've had with multiple Euro manufacturer's sunroofs, including VW.

Yeppp, that (and the plaid seats) were why I sought out a S model. No option to get rid of the sunroof on the SE and Autobahn.

On an unrelated note, I test drove a Veloster N before settling on the GTI. The performance was definitely up there with some of the best FWD cars, but fit and finish/interior quality/and ease of use with the 4 doors was better IMO on the GTI. GTI has better tunability and much better aftermarket support at the moment. But as far as reliability, I have no doubts that stock for stock, the Veloster would probably have the upper hand.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hyundai, like it’s sister Kia, will always be quickly dismissed. They make a shit car, always have.

Hyundai/Kia haven't made shit cars in over a decade. They just can't get rid of the stigma.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI

Just grab a new GTI S. I believe they still have 0 percent APR and you can get a great deal because of COVID. Only downside are the headlights but that is an easy fix with aftermarket, if that is going to bother you.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Hyundai/Kia have made shit cars within the decade. Every owner I know, albeit it’s not many, have had catastrophic issues with them in recent years. From Kia eating a quart of oil every tank, a known issue, to Hyundai’s electrical issues that make VW’s seem flawless in that department.

and trust me, I know my VW is a ticking time bomb, but it’s fun to drive and doesn’t look like shit some Subaru-bro dreamed up in 10th grade.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just grab a new GTI S. I believe they still have 0 percent APR and you can get a great deal because of COVID. Only downside are the headlights but that is an easy fix with aftermarket, if that is going to bother you.
Just did an inventory search with a 125 mile radius. Only a handful of MT cars out there and most of them are SE's, not S's.