GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI S vs. 2017 GTI Sport

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm considering selling my 17 GTI Sport MT to one of my kids and replacing it with a comparable new GTI. It appears that the "S" trim is very close to matching my current ride.
What are the differences? I know the Mk. 7.5 has the VAQ differential & PP brakes, just like my current ride.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
But you'll lose keyless entry, cooled glove box, Sirius XM and lighted overhead buttons among other things. But you're right, you'll still have differential and PP brakes.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I'm not super familiar with 2017 models, but hopefully this offers some information:

2020 GTI S DSG is a 7-speed compared to the 6-speed in the 2017. Manual transmission I believe would be the same.
You lose out on the lighting package if you get the S trim. With the S trim you also get a different infotainment system that is self-contained behind the screen (no CD player in the glovebox, no Sirius XM) but does have Android Auto/Apple Carplay. GTI S trim also does not have push-button start but DOES include Car-Net (ability to unlock/lock doors on your phone, anywhere in the world. Also provides alerts if you leave windows down and there is rain in the forecast). No cooled/carpeted glovebox and no more carpet in the trunk for 2020 models.
As you said, all 2020 models also have the performance package. 2020 GTI S models also have some driver-assistance features as standard such as forward collision avoidance and blind spot monitoring.

Reyes351

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
I'm not familiar with the S trim for 2020, but I think the comparable and upgraded trim would be the Rabbit. I would pick one in blue if I were buying today.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
I'm not super familiar with 2017 models, but hopefully this offers some information:

2020 GTI S DSG is a 7-speed compared to the 6-speed in the 2017. Manual transmission I believe would be the same.
You lose out on the lighting package if you get the S trim. With the S trim you also get a different infotainment system that is self-contained behind the screen (no CD player in the glovebox, no Sirius XM) but does have Android Auto/Apple Carplay. GTI S trim also does not have push-button start but DOES include Car-Net (ability to unlock/lock doors on your phone, anywhere in the world. Also provides alerts if you leave windows down and there is rain in the forecast). No cooled/carpeted glovebox and no more carpet in the trunk for 2020 models.
As you said, all 2020 models also have the performance package. 2020 GTI S models also have some driver-assistance features as standard such as forward collision avoidance and blind spot monitoring.
VW got rid of the felt/carpeted liners? Trying to save money? 😔. Those are the small details that make the car special in the segment for fit and finish.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
All MK 7.5s have ~8 HP than a 7 with PP (220 vs 228) probably barely noticeable.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
VW got rid of the felt/carpeted liners? Trying to save money? 😔. Those are the small details that make the car special in the segment for fit and finish.

Yeppp. No more trunk liner, no liner underneath the hood, no more lined/cooled glovebox, oh and also no more storage underneath the driver seat.
But, you get standard performance package and standard driver-assistance tech. So IMO, mehh. All that stuff is easy enough to get back. Trunk liner and hood liner off ebay, older style glovebox fits right in as well (and supposedly the car has a block off plate you can remove to hook up the vent inside the glovebox). I'm not sure about the storage under the seat, but I wouldn't be surprised if it bolted right in as well.
Thankfully all that stuff is easy/cheap to add back in. But the PP and the driver assistance features are not so I feel like it makes up for it

@theDoktor I think your best bet would be to find a Rabbit trim 2019 instead of a 2020. As @Reyes351 said, it's probably the closest to the trim you have now with the lighting package and performance pack and all that.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the info, guys. It looks like the SE is what I need to be looking at. Can't say I'm thrilled with the standard leather seats- I prefer the cloth. One of my needs is that it be (potentially) a nationals-level autocrosser. And I know, the Civic SI has taken that possibility away from the GTI. I just wish Honda offered it in a 5-door hatch configuration- I'd be all over it. The sedan doesn't work for my other needs. About to take a quick look down the road from me at a Veloster N with the Performance Package. I know it isn't up to the GTI's on the road level of comfort, performance and luxury, but, we'll see.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Does anyone actually ever use the cooled glove box?

The sedan doesn't work for my other needs. About to take a quick look down the road from me at a Veloster N with the Performance Package. I know it isn't up to the GTI's on the road level of comfort, performance and luxury, but, we'll see.
If it was available when I bought my GTI there's a good chance I would've chosen the N instead. Stock vs stock it outperforms the GTI in handling and power. The exhaust valves are a nice touch too. But then again the GTI is more refined, comfortable, tuneable, and has a sunroof + better sound system... just not as fun from the factory

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for the info, guys. It looks like the SE is what I need to be looking at. Can't say I'm thrilled with the standard leather seats- I prefer the cloth. One of my needs is that it be (potentially) a nationals-level autocrosser. And I know, the Civic SI has taken that possibility away from the GTI. I just wish Honda offered it in a 5-door hatch configuration- I'd be all over it. The sedan doesn't work for my other needs. About to take a quick look down the road from me at a Veloster N with the Performance Package. I know it isn't up to the GTI's on the road level of comfort, performance and luxury, but, we'll see.

The Veloster N exceeds the performance of the GTI and isn't too far from the R.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
But Hyundai. (n)