GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 US GTI Order Guide

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
Has anyone seen it yet? A few disappointing things IMO like no cloth option for the SE (damn), no 8" touchscreen for the S/Rabbit. But some good things IMO like the DSG going to 7-speed, no sunroof for the Rabbit, and Fender and DCC options for the SE. I can't post the pdf here it is too big and I am too old to figure it out but here is a link for it: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01774523866922133868

Juggar

Ready to race!
What is it about VW USA that they won't allow us to spec a higher trim with cloth??

Cloth is base/poverty trim, I would NEVER accept that on a 25K+ car.

I hate that stupid ass plaid pattern anyway. But yeah, ill take the real leather over the el cheapo plaid cloth.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

I hate that stupid ass plaid pattern anyway. But yeah, ill take the real leather over the el cheapo plaid cloth.

1) Many, many GTI owners would take a fully loaded GTI with cloth over leather. It's unique. To your own point, just about any/every car above 25k comes with p/leather interior. Nothing special. Plaid tough? Even amidst cheap cloth cars, that's unique. I guess you don't like flannel though. Tons of people have remarked positively on my seats, which never happened in my previous, leather MK7. Nothing different/noteworthy about the typical black leather seats, unlike the plaid cloth ones.

2) It's fake leather, lol. Also the hip bolsters on the leather seats are super weak and wear quickly. My 2015 S model's cloth side bolsters are stiff and look the way they did when the car was new. My previous, 2015 SE with leather looked so bad after 3 years of ownership.

Juggar

Ready to race!
1) Many, many GTI owners would take a fully loaded GTI with cloth over leather. It's unique. To your own point, just about any/every car above 25k comes with p/leather interior. Nothing special. Plaid tough? Even amidst cheap cloth cars, that's unique. I guess you don't like flannel though. Tons of people have remarked positively on my seats, which never happened in my previous, leather MK7. Nothing different/noteworthy about the typical black leather seats, unlike the plaid cloth ones.

2) It's fake leather, lol. Also the hip bolsters on the leather seats are super weak and wear quickly. My 2015 S model's cloth side bolsters are stiff and look the way they did when the car was new. My previous, 2015 SE with leather looked so bad after 3 years of ownership.

Nah man, its real leather on the GTI's. Its not V-Tex Leatherette like you think. Its not mercedes quality or anything like that but it IS real leather, at least the seating surfaces are.

https://www.newcenturyvw.com/blog/vw-cloth-vs-v-tex-leatherette-vs-leather-seating/

DAS_STIG

Banned

Thanks for providing your opinion. It's a personal preference and does not apply to everyone.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Nah man, its real leather on the GTI's. Its not V-Tex Leatherette like you think. Its not mercedes quality or anything like that but it IS real leather, at least the seating surfaces are.

https://www.newcenturyvw.com/blog/vw-cloth-vs-v-tex-leatherette-vs-leather-seating/

V-Tex is better than real leather, and definitely better than the low quality leather you get in these cars. it doesn't degrade over time, and cleans better, and doesn't require upkeep/conditioning.

My mom's 09 CC has V-Tex leatherette and it is still in very good condition. I'd love to see ANY 09 car with real leather and compare the quality 9 years later.

Anyway, you like what you like. But nobody's ever going to be like "Wow! these boring black leather seats are ~so nice~ !!!"

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
V-Tex is better than real leather, and definitely better than the low quality leather you get in these cars. it doesn't degrade over time, and cleans better, and doesn't require upkeep/conditioning.

I agree. V-Tex is some quality stuff, and wears like iron. Our 80k-mile Jetta V's seats still looked like new when it was traded in. Meanwhile, we only get one leather option here in the states - the lowest-grade "Vienna" leather (meanwhile Nappa leather is an available upgrade in other markets). Vienna is pure crapola - compare it to Nappa and you won't be happy if you have Vienna. I'd take V-Tex over it any day and twice on Sundays.

It is a shame that cloth isn't an option, right up through the highest trim levels. But apparently VW feels that (enough) people don't want it, so they roll with leather only. Unfortunate.

Juggar

Ready to race!

My mom's 09 CC has V-Tex leatherette and it is still in very good condition. I'd love to see ANY 09 car with real leather and compare the quality 9 years later.

Anyway, you like what you like. But nobody's ever going to be like "Wow! these boring black leather seats are ~so nice~ !!!"

I was simply pointing out that it is the "better" option (per VW) being real leather. I dont plan to keep the car 9 years though..... so it will be fine for me.

I also had V-Tex in my Jetta and yes, it was pretty damn good. Either one of those (VTex or Leather) is better than the cloth.

If im jonesing for that rustic cloth feel ill go sit in my Jeep.:D

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Clark cloth option is available on high spec GTIs in Canada.

VW US has not been generous with options in our market but lot of people might prefer cloth seats on SE and AB if it was available. IMO, clark cloth option does not look cheap but makes the vehicle more unique. Also considering Mid west winter conditions, i prefer cloth seats over leather.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn

My favorite part of the black leather is the red contrast stitching. I've actually received several compliments on that.