GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Solo Nationals

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Right now I start at 32 f 31 r. I maintain that pressure differential and those pressures every run.

Pressure differential is a great tuning tool for autocross. Just setting a starting pressure and letting pressures increase or decrease on their own just doesn't work with how sensitive cars are to tire pressure.

Was that video your fast run when the car felt loose? From the video, it didn't look loose at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yea the Yoko in ST classes was definitely the hot ticket, not as much in Street but it works when it works(winning FS car was on Yokos and it was the only car for both days). I was surprised Ryan Otis wasn't able to do better and he had Yokos but he think his tires are past their prime already(~40 runs) and the one that corded had less than that on. So not great....One Civic Type R was on Yokos and he wasn't sure if they are quite good for the car(they only make 245s in 19 so quite a bit narrower than other CTR running BFG or Bridgestones).

I am kinda disappointed in the GTI showing in GS. Especially considering my old car was actually in the field(66/166, Shaun Bailey bought my car). Considering FoST are still deep in the trophies, no reason GTI isn't still competitive. And I don't consider myself being particularly good at the driving part. Maybe people are just not really that prepared.

Civic is probably an easier package to get right. Its a lighter car, with wider wheels, and lighter, and no special trim level to get. Its also cheap. Lots of really good drivers bought the car so not surprising they are doing well.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Right now I start at 32 f 31 r. I maintain that pressure differential and those pressures every run.

Pressure differential is a great uning tool for autocross. Just setting a starting pressure and letting pressures increase or decrease on their own just doesn't work with how sensitive cars are to tire pressure.

Was that video your fast run when the car felt loose? From the video, it didn't look loose at all.

RE71Rs are fairly pressure agnostic, but I have not had much time with the car in its current setup, so I didn’t have time to test tire pressures. I was more concerned with balance and camber/toe settings.

The video is actually run 2, because the sun washed out the video for run 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE71Rs are fairly pressure agnostic, but I have not had much time with the car in its current setup, so I didn’t have time to test tire pressures. I was more concerned with balance and camber/toe settings.

The video is actually run 2, because the sun washed out the video for run 1.

From 26 to 32 they are very pressure agnostic, but using a pressure differential still changes the slip angle, i.e. the amount the tire deflects before gripping, as does toe. So by adjusting toe while giving pressures free reign, you're working against yourself.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think 2-3 PSI difference front to rear produces a noticeable change in balance. I don't know if they make a big enough impact on ultimate grip. We ran 35 when we ran to save the shoulder a bit more vs 32.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I’ll swallow my pride on this one and try higher and more controlled PSI, at my last event in two weeks. It’s two days so I should have plenty of runs/data.

My head is still thinking S2000 setup where low 30s high 28s was normal.

Obviously there is more weight over the front tires that I need to account for.

Dude, no pride involved, we're all just chasing cones. I've learned that I'm a whole lot better at car setup than driver over 35 years of doing this and I'm a second slower than the fast guys, even in my own car. My codrive is an alien and I've been trying to catch him with little success. Lol. I helped last year's HS national champ with car setup last year. Unfortunately, none of these aliens abilities have rubbed off on me yet, but I keep trying.

34 or 35 is better on higher grip surfaces if you're watching wear, but our main site is an old gravely air strip, so 32 doesn't really have much affect on tire wear, but we do go higher at places with more grip. You being on a 265/35 18 I assume, the higher pressure makes sense.

I'm happy to help you out and get you're car handing well, as I want to move to STH after next season. I'm going to give nationals a shot in GS, but will move to STH because I want to set the car up better for track days and TT, as I've found it's like slow motion autocross at double the speed. You have so much time.

Last edited:

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
You guys are getting me all worked up! I used to autocross in the '90's basically ending in 2000. Used to run a '91 Integra and '97 ITR, made it to 2nd place SCCA GS with the ITR in CENDiV...doesn't exist anymore. Then I moved on to lapping events, and the such until I had a child, then stopped. But I digress, for autocross I used to run higher tire pressures in the rear for better rotation...I never understood lower pressures in the back, it would never be a smooth transition from understeer to oversteer as the car rotated; first you have turn-in, then the sidewall flex, which by now you have a slip angle spike, lose grip and snap oversteer...but you can capture it back a little easier with lower pressure rear tires.
With high pressures you have turn-in, grip, progressive loss of grip. I found it much easier to pivot on low speed turns and control on long sweepers. But I ran in stock class and there wasn't much we could do. Anyway, have fun out there! Maybe some day I'll take my R out...

You guys are getting me all worked up! I used to autocross in the '90's basically ending in 2000. Used to run a '91 Integra and '97 ITR, made it to 2nd place SCCA GS with the ITR in CENDiV...doesn't exist anymore. Then I moved on to lapping events, and the such until I had a child, then stopped. But I digress, for autocross I used to run higher tire pressures in the rear for better rotation...I never understood lower pressures in the back, it would never be a smooth transition from understeer to oversteer as the car rotated; first you have turn-in, then the sidewall flex, which by now you have a slip angle spike, lose grip and snap oversteer...but you can capture it back a little easier with lower pressure rear tires.
With high pressures you have turn-in, grip, progressive loss of grip. I found it much easier to pivot on low speed turns and control on long sweepers. But I ran in stock class and there wasn't much we could do. Anyway, have fun out there! Maybe some day I'll take my R out...
I'd love to fiddle with an R and prep for DS or STU. (I think STU is where mk7 R lives for ST classes)

Where are you located now? I'm down in north Florida.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I'd love to fiddle with an R and prep for DS or STU. (I think STU is where mk7 R lives for ST classes)

Where are you located now? I'm down in north Florida.

Still in Michigan.