GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Rabbit GTI Review (Fletchers Couch)

F1fletch1

...ok technically I am not writing this review from Fletcher's couch but I could be. :)

Before I start the review just a quick shout out to Oakland VW who treated us great and although my trade in was far from ideal, they did their best.

Brownie Pts - Talao Sadler (Sales Manager) and his team..

GENERAL DISCLAIMER;
I have been been away from VW since 2009 ish (Owned 5 previous..incl Rabbit GTI).

*Let me qualify my statements in that, I am basing my review on several things including 24+ cars bought sold/tuned/modified AND the fact that I am an unsolicited car lover and reviewer. (Fiesta to Ferrari) and I love all cars and I am not a snob. I cannot comment about my wife though :p

My last two reviews were A Ferrari 488 Spyder and a McLaren 570S Spyder.

1. The Rabbit Edition truly feels a drivers car
2. The quality, fit and finish far surpass a 31k car
3. The styling is very understated but has nice details
4. The perfect enthusiast option, where the goal is to smoke mere mortals while flying under the radar

I have owned many new cars over the years and in recent memory I do not remember being this impressed overall. The interior is comfortable, quiet and roomy. I wish the seats were a bit more bolstered and the steering wheel a bit fatter but overall an A-. The stereo sounds reasonable but an upgrade would do nicely, and the aftermarket will help there by integrating with the stock head unit B-.

The ride and handling was surprisingly good and the front LS really offers some confidence that otherwise would result in meaningless front scrub B+. With the proper wheel/tire combo the grip could be seriously good.The steering is light but in sport mode feels pretty spot on to me, with a nice feel that doesn't feel disconnected B+.

The brakes work quite well and I can't imagine needing more than a brake pad/fluid upgrade for additional and repeated caning A-. A set of gyrodisc rotors sure would be sweet though!

The piped in sound I don't really care for...I am really Old School when it comes to artificial sounds...even though I know most car makers do it these days C+.

All in all just a great experience and fantastic new project. I expect many miles of fun and tuning not to mention Wabbit hunting season gone full circle...

Attachments

• IMG_6005 (1).jpg
    IMG_6005 (1).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
High praise indeed considering your history. Thanks for sharing.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
No one here would complain if you copy/pasted your 570 review, unless of course sans pics.
Your friend rick

F1fletch1

The 570S is my favorite sports car (Supercar) that is still almost real world..... as in obtainable. I was never a McLaren fan outside of F1 and now its my favorite supercar marque. I would own one over a Ferrari and Lamborghini any day. I will post pics when I get them off my other phone. My wife and I both agreed that while beautiful the 488 is not as easy driving or confidence inspiring for mere mortals (the engine and tranny are without fault though). All in all I am more than happy to be driving a GTI again......in sleeper murano gray! Lol