GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Oil talk is great.
The weight of a lubricant isn’t the “et al” for protection. It is the quantity of modifiers that it has chemically engineered into it. Oil is a fluid that is not very well affected by pressure as much as the properties within it that thermally break down.
When oil temps are registering on your gauge(s), that is only sump temperature not the more intense heat that is flowing nearer the exhaust points or through the turbo.
For Example:
An Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 outperforms any other grade/weight on the open market regardless of it’s intended use.
Albeit, if an engine calls for a particular grade/weight, just choose the best version of it when you want to play harder.
I agree with you but for the sake of consistent pressure, no 0w20 will hold up on a track. My brother tried on his 86. He set up oil pressure and temp gauges and 0w20 hits 260f real quick. And pressures nose dive fast. He tried a bunch of different group 3, 4, and 5 oils. Including amsoil

Frankly amsoil is the worse choice for track duties unless your made of money.

In June I tracked 5 whole days. Drove 300 miles. But did 5 oil changes. One after each session. If I were to use amsoil it would be way too expensive

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Several WRC rally teams use Amsoil signature series and swear by it. Every analysis I've seen for it shows it's one of, if not the best oil out there. I still wouldn't use their 0w-20 in a tracked GTI with even a stg 1 tune.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Several WRC rally teams use Amsoil signature series and swear by it. Every analysis I've seen for it shows it's one of, if not the best oil out there. I still wouldn't use their 0w-20 in a tracked GTI with even a stg 1 tune.
Oh I don’t doubt it. But I’m not made of money. Jesus imagine 5 amsoil oil changes in a month LOL

I’ve seen the data. Amsoil is an amazing group5 oil. No doubt. Shit I feel more comfortable taking it to 10k miles vs the dealer oil. But I can’t track with it due to costs.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI

But this is what is frustrating with all these euro manufacturer specs...

Amsoil 0w-20 signature series is great, but it's also not VW 508 spec. Is it because it's not dyed green? Is it the additive pack? Did Amsoil not want to pay for the label? Is it some other reason entirely?

So can someone run it?

To be clear, I'm not overly concerned by the precise scenario I laid out. I would run it or not run it and get the same amount of sleep. But a lot of people would stress over these facts.

My real question is - should you run vw 508 0w-20 while on stock tune and then switch once tuned? Or can you keep running the same oil if you're not going to see the tracl? I've read that diesel truck truck oils would be better once tuned. I ran Rotella 5w-40 in my last tuned, turbo'd car with great success. But it wasn't german and it wasn't picky.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
But this is what is frustrating with all these euro manufacturer specs...

Amsoil 0w-20 signature series is great, but it's also not VW 508 spec. Is it because it's not dyed green? Is it the additive pack? Did Amsoil not want to pay for the label? Is it some other reason entirely?

So can someone run it?

To be clear, I'm not overly concerned by the precise scenario I laid out. I would run it or not run it and get the same amount of sleep. But a lot of people would stress over these facts.

My real question is - should you run vw 508 0w-20 while on stock tune and then switch once tuned? Or can you keep running the same oil if you're not going to see the tracl? I've read that diesel truck truck oils would be better once tuned. I ran Rotella 5w-40 in my last tuned, turbo'd car with great success. But it wasn't german and it wasn't picky.
The additive and wear package in amsoil is superior to just about everything else on the market. It met api sn plus certification before it even existed.

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Speaking to Ezekiel’s question...I changed oil on my 19 GTI At 2500 miles and stayed with oem 508 spec 0w-20.

Then went with EQT stage 1 93. I want to follow tuner’s recommendation so I bought Motul Sport 5w-40. Yesterday, in talking to with a knowledgeable sounding rep at ecstuning, I am told Motul does not meet 508 specs. I am going to switch to the Sport 5w-40 even he said VW has in the post denied some claims due to oil not meeting specs.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I think Amsoil just recently says it's european 0w20 is engineered for cars calling for 508/509. Not sure weather it is green or not though. Their website used to not list any of their oils for the 2019 GTI but now. it does. I am an Amsoil fan so i will use it next oil change.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Speaking to Ezekiel’s question...I changed oil on my 19 GTI At 2500 miles and stayed with oem 508 spec 0w-20.

Then went with EQT stage 1 93. I want to follow tuner’s recommendation so I bought Motul Sport 5w-40. Yesterday, in talking to with a knowledgeable sounding rep at ecstuning, I am told Motul does not meet 508 specs. I am going to switch to the Sport 5w-40 even he said VW has in the post denied some claims due to oil not meeting specs.

Not a single bit of credible evidence VW has denied claims due to oil specs and your tune is what's going to get your claims denied. That ship sailed the second you flashed that tune, so run the oil you feel is most appropriate for your car.

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
GTIfan99 wrote, "That ship sailed the second you flashed that tune, so run the oil you feel is most appropriate for your car."

Yes, and that is why I bought the Motul Sport 5w-40...I'm going to stick with the tuner's advice. I must say that reading your post reinforced for me that I've not fully swallowed the red pill of having tuned my car. That is, I carry some angst about having done so, some residual worry regarding the warranty, and that I need to let it go and enjoy the car for as you said, "That ship sailed..." Greg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
GTIfan99 wrote, "That ship sailed the second you flashed that tune, so run the oil you feel is most appropriate for your car."

Yes, and that is why I bought the Motul Sport 5w-40...I'm going to stick with the tuner's advice. I must say that reading your post reinforced for me that I've not fully swallowed the red pill of having tuned my car. That is, I carry some angst about having done so, some residual worry regarding the warranty, and that I need to let it go and enjoy the car for as you said, "That ship sailed..." Greg
No one here pays your car note or insurance. Your a full grown person. Do whatever the fuck u want but do it without fear of being criticized bro

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
I had my first oil change done at the dealership...Invoice states 052-167-S0 engine oil, which someone correct me if I am wrong is Castrol 5W-40...They advertise that they use Valvoline...This is a 2019 GLI. I have no idea what oil they put in there 😆. Let you know if I come across any issues. BTW is a high volume dealership that sells tons of GTI/GLI/R cars.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Well they either put the wrong spec oil in or the wrong number on the invoice. First is worse

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Just use maple syrup

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Well they either put the wrong spec oil in or the wrong number on the invoice. First is worse

Ton of folks use 5W-40 in their 2019's up and without issues. In fact, I wanted to ask if they can fill it with 5W-30/40 if that was an option but I forgot. Hoping it is in fact 5w-40 but it is probably just an outdated number on the invoice.