GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I did my first oil change after 5000 miles over the weekend using LM top tec 6200 and have been seeing a decrease in average oil temps of about ~10° F. I guess that's a good thing?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I did my first oil change after 5000 miles over the weekend using LM top tec 6200 and have been seeing a decrease in average oil temps of about ~10° F. I guess that's a good thing?
That’s expected. Little by little as your oil oxidizes more and more you’ll gain those 10 degrees back.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
That’s expected. Little by little as your oil oxidizes more and more you’ll gain those 10 degrees back.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
While that technically may be true, a 10-degree difference? Never seen such a thing.
I had two wrx’s up until I had to stop tracking due to leg and back issues. Recently I sold both and went with a dsg gti. This was two weeks ago

Anyways. The track car, after a track day. It’s oil will get up to temp way faster than the wrx I daily drove. I once cold started both at the same time. Track car with old oil was at 180f while the daily was a bit over 150f. The daily around town last month hovered around 190-210f. The track car with older oil last month I remember seeing it at 220-230f.

But after an oil change. They were at identical temps. And operated in the same ranges.

My brother has an 86 and brz. He tracks the 86 and has seen the same exact thing too.

It’s a thing man.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I track my. 19 on 5w-40. The engine melted. Just kidding, it's fine. This is all much adu about nothing. They added a tooth to the oil pump. It's going to be ok, no matter what you use. If you don't track, just use the factory recommended oil. If you track, do what you think is best. I track in Florida,, so I think 5w-40 is the smart choice for me. I change oil after every track day too.

I also know most spec Miata teams use 0w-20 to gain an extra couple of hp, which is important in a racing series with low hp cars. They also don't have to contend with our blow by issues, so take it for what it is.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I track my. 19 on 5w-40. The engine melted. Just kidding, it's fine. This is all much adu about nothing. They added a tooth to the oil pump. It's going to be ok, no matter what you use. If you don't track, just use the factory recommended oil. If you track, do what you think is best. I track in Florida,, so I think 5w-40 is the smart choice for me. I change oil after every track day too.

I also know most spec Miata teams use 0w-20 to gain an extra couple of hp, which is important in a racing series with low hp cars. They also don't have to contend with our blow by issues, so take it for what it is.
Fucking miatas man. I once had a fleet of old 90hp miatas pass me in the canyons LOL

The oil thing. It’s something I’ve been seriously thinking about. For the sake of oil temps and pressure running 0w20 scares me and makes me consider vw502 (or is it 503?) 5w40. At least for track days.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I love all the references to vw engineers knowing what they're doing. Sure they do, but you don't know their goals or parameters for the change were, so I highly doubt the goal was to make changes to allow the car to be tracked with 0w-20.

We can guess that their goal was an 8hp increase, without increasing emissions and increasing gas mileage, or at least not decreasing it with the hp bump. But at the end of the day, we don't know what goals and parameters they were told to meet.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I love all the references to vw engineers knowing what they're doing. Sure they do, but you don't know their goals or parameters for the change were, so I highly doubt the goal was to make changes to allow the car to be tracked with 0w-20.

We can guess that their goal was an 8hp increase, without increasing emissions and increasing gas mileage, or at least not decreasing it with the hp bump. But at the end of the day, we don't know what goals and parameters they were told to meet.
Frankly it’s pretty obvious it was for emissions imo

Finding oil that meets vw’s newer certification isn’t easy. Well. I mean. Variety. Can’t find choices at thicker weights.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Oil talk is great.
The weight of a lubricant isn’t the “et al” for protection. It is the quantity of modifiers that it has chemically engineered into it. Oil is a fluid that is not very well affected by pressure as much as the properties within it that thermally break down.
When oil temps are registering on your gauge(s), that is only sump temperature not the more intense heat that is flowing nearer the exhaust points or through the turbo.
For Example:
An Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 outperforms any other grade/weight on the open market regardless of it’s intended use.
Albeit, if an engine calls for a particular grade/weight, just choose the best version of it when you want to play harder.