GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

B5AudiS4

The cluster has been one of the things believed to be holding the Rs in port.
Interesting, I could see that if they have a recall and don’t want to extend to a whole other model. That would make sense as to why the GTI is out but not the R (only Golf model with digital cockpit) but I’d question whether they’re planning on swapping out clusters before delivery and why Canada got them? I’d think they’d want to make a sale and then replace if needed down the road (great reason to have a 6 year warranty).

Where did you hear this information?

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Agree with above post. Since VW is keeping things secret even from their dealers, all we have here is speculation. The digital cluster has been out for months in the US with the Tiguan and Atlas, and I think the top line GTI (Autobahn).

davewg

Ready to race!
Interesting, I could see that if they have a recall and don’t want to extend to a whole other model. That would make sense as to why the GTI is out but not the R (only Golf model with digital cockpit) but I’d question whether they’re planning on swapping out clusters before delivery and why Canada got them? I’d think they’d want to make a sale and then replace if needed down the road (great reason to have a 6 year warranty).

Where did you hear this information?

Agree with above post. Since VW is keeping things secret even from their dealers, all we have here is speculation. The digital cluster has been out for months in the US with the Tiguan and Atlas, and I think the top line GTI (Autobahn).

The digital cockpit is not an option on any trim of the GTI.

We assume with some reasonable assurance that the digital cockpit in the Atlas/Tiguan is the same as that in the R.

There is currently a production hold (apparently) on SEL Premium Atlas models due to issues with the cluster. It seems to only impact that model. No one really knows.

It's true that the R is on sale in Canada. I haven't seen any bitching about problems with the virtual cockpit in that market, except for an issue with the digital and analog versions of the speedometer being out of sync when switched between kmh and mph (when switching to kmh on the analog dial the digital readout remains mph). That could be a reason for a hold in the US .

It could be related to EPA certification of emissions. Remember the EPA doesn't do the actual testing. They rely on makers to do the test and certify to the EPA that they're in compliance. Given the diesel issues the EPA could be forcing another look.

I've been told on separate occasions that it has to do with VWs vehicle release time line. There's a lot of new product for them in 2018. That release looked like this:

Atlas/Tiguan
GTI
Alltrack
Golf
Golf R
'19 Jetta
'19 Arteon.

Makes sense if you think about it.

VW needed to get SUVs on the market - get those out first.
Then the GTI - important small/sporty model the brand is known for.
Then the Alltrack - competes against Subaru
Then the Golf - the inexpensive car
Golf R - the limited production one most people don't know or care about

Then focus on the new '19 models....

If the cluster does need to be replaced it's much easier, cheaper and logistically less of a nightmare if they do it in port. If it's a recall, voluntary or otherwise, then NHSTA gets involved....

Pick a reason. Any or all of them could be valid.

Duhg

The digital cockpit is not an option on any trim of the GTI.

We assume with some reasonable assurance that the digital cockpit in the Atlas/Tiguan is the same as that in the R.

There is currently a production hold (apparently) on SEL Premium Atlas models due to issues with the cluster. It seems to only impact that model. No one really knows.

It's true that the R is on sale in Canada. I haven't seen any bitching about problems with the virtual cockpit in that market, except for an issue with the digital and analog versions of the speedometer being out of sync when switched between kmh and mph (when switching to kmh on the analog dial the digital readout remains mph). That could be a reason for a hold in the US .

It could be related to EPA certification of emissions. Remember the EPA doesn't do the actual testing. They rely on makers to do the test and certify to the EPA that they're in compliance. Given the diesel issues the EPA could be forcing another look.

I've been told on separate occasions that it has to do with VWs vehicle release time line. There's a lot of new product for them in 2018. That release looked like this:

Atlas/Tiguan
GTI
Alltrack
Golf
Golf R
'19 Jetta
'19 Arteon.

Makes sense if you think about it.

VW needed to get SUVs on the market - get those out first.
Then the GTI - important small/sporty model the brand is known for.
Then the Alltrack - competes against Subaru
Then the Golf - the inexpensive car
Golf R - the limited production one most people don't know or care about

Then focus on the new '19 models....

If the cluster does need to be replaced it's much easier, cheaper and logistically less of a nightmare if they do it in port. If it's a recall, voluntary or otherwise, then NHSTA gets involved....

Pick a reason. Any or all of them could be valid.
Gaaaahhhh! Stop using logic and reason! I need to be irrationally upset here!
;)

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
My dealer told me it’s a paint issue.

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe I am feeling pessimistic today but it seems that there must be several pretty serious issues going on that have kept these cars in port for this long, and without any guidance from VW. That suggests to me a very uncertain situation from their corporate standpoint (I'm sure they'd love to sell the cars and get them off the books). I suspect it is time to more seriously cross-shop (STI, S3, CPO Macan S, etc.) and move on. I hope I am wrong but it may be time to be more realistic.

davewg

Ready to race!
I don't think its more than one thing holding them in port. None of us should expect and guidance or communication from VW as to the reason.

It's one of three things
1. EPA
2. Digital cockpit
3. Internal sales release plan

Summons

Not to get political, but there is a bit of a trade war quietly being fought by the US government with the rest of the world...
Given the Dieselgate history, and the protectionist views of the current administration, holding a few high end cars in port for whatever reason seems as valid a conspiracy theory as any! ��
E

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Not to get political, but there is a bit of a trade war quietly being fought by the US government with the rest of the world...
Given the Dieselgate history, and the protectionist views of the current administration, holding a few high end cars in port for whatever reason seems as valid a conspiracy theory as any! ��
E
High end cars? Yes because the R is a high end car.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KlipZ

Ready to race!
High end cars? Yes because the R is a high end car.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

$40k certainly isn't a Chevy Cruz. But I get your point.