GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 FORMULA 1 SEASON

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Soooo, Ricciardo to Renault?
I don't fanatically follow F1 news but I didn't see that one coming...

I mean I guess he could be worried about the Red Bull switch to Honda,
or maybe he hates Max haha,
or maybe he just knows something we don't and feel is like it is the right move.

Regardless I think he will still be around for a while and as long as he performs well top teams will definitely still have an interest in him.
I wouldn't mind seeing him take Kimi's place eventually...
He's doing what Hamilton did. Leave the champs (McLaren) to go to the upstart (Mercedes). At least that's how everyone is viewing it.

Plus we all know Max is faster than Ric in the RB

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
Soooo, Ricciardo to Renault?
I don't fanatically follow F1 news but I didn't see that one coming...

I mean I guess he could be worried about the Red Bull switch to Honda,
or maybe he hates Max haha,
or maybe he just knows something we don't and feel is like it is the right move.

Regardless I think he will still be around for a while and as long as he performs well top teams will definitely still have an interest in him.
I wouldn't mind seeing him take Kimi's place eventually...

I wonder how Vettel would feel about that move since Ricciardo was out outperforming Seb right before he left Red Bull and went to Ferrari. Also isn't Leclerc the likely next driver for Ferrari?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I think it’s a bit of Honda fear, getting away from Max and being in a true works team that has an engine that’s at least won a race in the Hybrid Turbo era. Honda isn’t even close to being there as a motor, though RB will definitely have a better chassis than Renault.

I feel for Sainz if the McLaren rumours are true.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
Good luck, Fernando! May the triple crown be your next major victory!

I think this was the most expected bit of news. And that the next announcement will be the details surrounding his seat in Indy Car, whether it is from McLaren or an already established team.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Oh definitely not surprised. I once thought Ricciardo’s Renault switch gave the Alonso a chance at a top 3 team at which point Horner shot down.

Haven’t followed Indy/CART since the Vancouver GP (or when Paul Tracy was still a thing lol) vanished, but does Macca have a presence in Indy? I’d assume he would still be with a McLaren-supported team as Alonso did say he’s with the team for the long term.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Good luck, Carlos. May you invoke shades of Fernando when your car is only as fast as a GP2 in the straights.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Perhaps.
I honestly don't feel like he has been given the capability to truly perform.
The popular opinion is that ALO is still one of the best drivers on the grid yet he has not been able to break out of the top 10 (in drivers standings) until this year so far where he is 9th.
If McLaren can get it together, maybe we can see his true potential.
I would not blame him entirely.
But I could also care less if he gets dropped lol.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It’s unfortunate that some drivers stuck in the midfield probably have the talent but weren’t lucky enough to land a top drive. Though an argument can be made for drivers like Ocon, Leclerc and maybe Perez who obviously have the speed and talent despite their midfield cars.

But teams are businesses and want to see results, so I understand. Alo’s race craft is undeniable if only he had a car that could race. Haas should honestly drop Grosjean and give Vandoorne a chance LOL.