GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Golf R engine failure

Golf R 7811

Car(s)
2017 Golf R MK7
Unfortunately my engine failed a few days ago. Mechanics have told me connecting rods failed in two of the cylinders. There may be a hole in the block, but that's not confirmed yet.
Prior to the engine failure it had about 420+ hp- it's my daily driver. Intake, full exhaust, ECU tune, stock turbo, IE intercooler, racing clutch, limited slip on the front, short shifter, upgraded sway bars- suffice it to say the warranty on the engine is void.

I absolutely love this car- it's everything I want in a car. What do I do? Rebuild it w/ sweet internals? Replace the engine? I'd rather turn it into something sweet rather than put a stock engine in. I'd also like some reliability as a daily driver. Perhaps with new high quality internals and the same setup otherwise it would be legit? What are the best rebuild kits?

I'm open to any mechanics in the Billings, MT area- I'm looking for super high quality/ attention to detail work.

I appreciate any ideas, thanks!

Attachments

• VW in shop.jpg
    VW in shop.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Just the thought of rebuilding w/ IE parts makes me feel stoked!
Yeah don't use IE parts. They are overpriced for rebranded stuff. There's a handful of us with built motors on this forum. Just head over to the "Member Car Journals" to see what some of us are using for internals.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Sorry to hear that man. How many miles?

I’ve thought about it over and over what I’d do if/when I pop the motor. If it were me, I would most likely go back with a stock motor and stay in the mid 400whp range.

For me I don’t think the price tag of a built motor and all the extra trimmings is worth it for only 5-600whp. Considering you’re still on the stock turbo and fuel system, you would have to spend considerably more money in addition to the motor build to take advantage of it. If you’re comfortable with that then go for it, but it is expensive. Good luck.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Tragic. I’d be devastated. I’m honestly surprised that a UM tune did this as well. This is why I’m afraid to tune.

What speed were you going / what were the conditions when the event happened? In my experience, I’ve seen more more small turbo engines pop at low RPM with only part throttle due to LSPI than when beating on the car. It was how my Focus ST motor went.

I’ve seen 600+ WHP Golf R builds on stock internals that are still going. I believe Urotuning has a shop car that’s making over 600.

Golf R 7811

Car(s)
2017 Golf R MK7
Sorry to hear that man. How many miles?

I’ve thought about it over and over what I’d do if/when I pop the motor. If it were me, I would most likely go back with a stock motor and stay in the mid 400whp range.

For me I don’t think the price tag of a built motor and all the extra trimmings is worth it for only 5-600whp. Considering you’re still on the stock turbo and fuel system, you would have to spend considerably more money in addition to the motor build to take advantage of it. If you’re comfortable with that then go for it, but it is expensive. Good luck.
Thanks, it has about 50,000 miles. I'm thinking that with rebuilt higher quality internals the engine will last longer with about the same hp... I don't really need any more power, it was pretty fast already. I hear you about the cost.. it's just that my heart sings to the sound of forged rods, what can I say

Golf R 7811

Car(s)
2017 Golf R MK7
Tragic. I’d be devastated. I’m honestly surprised that a UM tune did this as well. This is why I’m afraid to tune.

What speed were you going / what were the conditions when the event happened? In my experience, I’ve seen more more small turbo engines pop at low RPM with only part throttle due to LSPI than when beating on the car. It was how my Focus ST motor went.

I’ve seen 600+ WHP Golf R builds on stock internals that are still going. I believe Urotuning has a shop car that’s making over 600.
I started noticed a subtle knocking sound about a month ago- it sounds like some metal rubbing against something- like exhaust on the driveshaft. The shop I usually take it too was about 2 months out so I tried to live with it. But it seemed to be getting worse so I took into another well-respected shop in town. The engine actually failed when their mechanic took it for a test drive- their computer noticed 'elevated knock sensor voltages when the engine shut off. Upon further inspection found connecting rods to cylinders 3 & 4 have failed.' Upon inspecting it, it looks like a freeze plug on the bottom of the block blew out- I'm not really sure, a friend suggested that's what happened.

Attachments

• VW 1.jpg
    VW 1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 174
  • VW 2.jpg
    VW 2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 164
  • VW 3.jpg
    VW 3.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 178

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
This is fairly uncommon.

Sorry to see that you're having to deal with this. Better than the DSG going out. That's a 12k dollar job. Do you have any estimates on the engine rebuild?