GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 GTI takes 87 octane gas?

Internexus

Ready to race!
People really need to stop going on about damage to the engine from using 87. The car can run on it all day long.
And to the snobs going on about it's just a couple bucks each fill up.
That's still not good value is it? Over and over again it has been shown in videos and test that premium fuel makes like 2-7bhp difference. You cannot fell that. What you feel I'd a placebo effect. You want to believe you have more power. Only a dyno or on track driving will tell.

Here is another video done in the UK to using 95ron up to 98ron.
https://youtu.be/hpZ76nrYW7A

I agree with most of the things you say except for the part where you state that you can't "feel" the difference between using premium and regular. I definitely "feel" my wallet still being nice and heavy by using 87 octane compared to when I use 91...

Where I am, if I want ethanol-free gas, I have to get Shell 91. Call me a snob for wanting to prolong the life of my engine but I'd prefer to pay a few bucks more each fill up than deal with the ramifications ten years down the line.

How many cars have you owned for ten years?

Becks

Ready to race!
Where I am, if I want ethanol-free gas, I have to get Shell 91. Call me a snob for wanting to prolong the life of my engine but I'd prefer to pay a few bucks more each fill up than deal with the ramifications ten years down the line.

This is pure unadulterated BS.

Nothing wrong with being a snob. Don't confuse being a snob with spreading rumors though.

There is nothing wrong with only using the 91 octane if you want that. But, to state that using a lower octane will cause your engine life to be shortened is just not true. VW states that a lower octane that is a min. of 87 isfine to use if you choose to.

codespyder

Ready to race!
You want to use 10% or 15% Ethanol gas in your GTI? Be my guest. I never said lower octane gas would reduce my engine life. The misunderstanding between us is that the ramifications I'm referring to are with regards to the ethanol in my engine over 10 years.

How many cars have you owned for ten years?

In my family, we have a 99 RX300 and 00 Honda Accord. We like to keep our cars going as long as possible. Besides, with the real estate prices what they are in Toronto, it's unlikely I'll be able to afford a mortgage and a new car every couple of years so yeah I'm looking to prolong my investment.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Internexus

Ready to race!
You want to use 10% or 15% Ethanol gas in your GTI? Be my guest. I never said lower octane gas would reduce my engine life. The misunderstanding between us is that the ramifications I'm referring to are with regards to the ethanol in my engine over 10 years.

In my family, we have a 99 RX300 and 00 Honda Accord. We like to keep our cars going as long as possible. Besides, with the real estate prices what they are in Toronto, it's unlikely I'll be able to afford a mortgage and a new car every couple of years so yeah I'm looking to prolong my investment.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Your concerns over ethanol are unwarranted fears over the unknown. I specifically asked how many cars you yourself have owned 10 years because the number is likely nil. It's to prove a point. The bulk of the members here don't actually own these cars, you're borrowing it from a bank and the average ownership in the United States alone isn't quite up to 6 years yet meaning chances are slim.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Jersey prices. If I didn't feel the way I do about getting premium, I could get regular at the citgo next to my house for 1.73. Or premium for 2.28

Jersey prices are awesome, every time you go there its mandatory to fill up your tank but those tolls to go back to NYC really kill the fun in it :mad: $14.00 Just to cross the Bridge if you don't use EZ pass!!!! sucks

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Jersey prices are awesome, every time you go there its mandatory to fill up your tank but those tolls to go back to NYC really kill the fun in it :mad: $14.00 Just to cross the Bridge if you don't use EZ pass!!!! sucks

Yeah, I remember that about New York. You start off with a wallet full of cash and run out before you get to your last toll booth and then think oh great, now what.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
If you drive a forced air induction engine and believe that a fuel with less than ideal resistance to ignition predetonation is a brilliant idea, we can start with that point.

To counter the octane sensor argument; they say ur car compensates for it. Which is the problem: it adjusts piston position firing angle and fuel mix weaker which actually results on more direct pressure into a harsher angle directly into the piston, arm, camshaft and camshaft housing. Over time this causes an expedited widening of piston arm link gaps and valve lifter link gaps and tend to lead to problems in the engine block (frailty and unexpected breaks) and the under the valve cover (lifters or valves burning or breaking from increased heat by increased friction by increased play (multiplied by faster buildup)).

Then I'd refer to the actual chemical differences between low and high octane, and how one 93 may not be the same package as another 93, and dangerous to use in the long run (if your expensive investment is something you think worth maintaining like an expensive investment).

The way manufacturers increase octane to 93 is by taking the same chemical base as 87's base and distilling it longer (money) or isomerizimg (applying more hydrogen molecules forcefully, money). These are the "tier 1" gasolines which are most expensive. They not only perform these two correct method, but they play the angle and add high quality anticarbonate solvents which dramatically reduce carbon buildup on valves of direct injection engines which lack the traditional injection bath which cleans components (so all DI engines). The science has your investment in mind. The solvents will naturally increase octane as well and are quality hydrogen rich cleaners for a strong detonation as close to or more than the ignition reward than pure gasoline.

The other cheap methods of increasing octane basically falls down to adding low energy chemicals which have octane increasing knock reducing PROPERTIES which are cheap, leave lots of engine killing buildup and are particularly worse by design for direct injection engines.

Like ethanol.

Use 93, you'll be glad in 5+years.

Or just say I'm full of s*** and move on, its your choice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk