GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 GTI w/ APR Stg1 L.O. Tune - what to look out for and a few q's

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Hey everyone! :)

After lots of looking around I just scored a 2015 GTI SE (no performance package) on Saturday! Had 8000 miles and is mint*!

And yesterday I went right ahead to an APR dealer and had the low output stage 1 tune flashed on! Well that escalated quickly lol!

She runs great and seems to handle the boost just fine, which i believe is supposed to be around 23 psi vs the stock 13...14 psi i think?

Anyway - I know the earlier gtis/r's yo uhad to watch out for things like water pumps, cam followers, etc. Anything for this edition to look for?

Longevity wise I'm not too worried about this car. I don't launch it and will try not to floor it below 3000 rpms to keep that clutch and trans liking me. Haha.

ALSO: Will be in the market before too long for the best OEM style LED headlights and an intake, just to hear the turbo a bit (ricer mods, I know). APR does seem to make an awesome intake but what else is out there and tried & proven?

Thanks!

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
well okay a little light duty research seems to say a neuspeed intake may suit me just fine. kinda want the apr and to dip it black to keep a clean oem look though

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Well so far there isn't anything we need to look out for. The early 2015 cars had turbo issues but have been since fixed and now it looks like we have a rock solid car. Check out the ED Replica headlights w/ HID's. They are probably your best bet for the OEM lighting package/R look. Also intakes are just a cone on a stick, so don't worry about one being tried and proven since they all work. Main thing you should worry about is closed vs. open filter and filter quality.

DuckKnuckles

Ready to race!
Well so far there isn't anything we need to look out for. The early 2015 cars had turbo issues but have been since fixed and now it looks like we have a rock solid car. Check out the ED Replica headlights w/ HID's. They are probably your best bet for the OEM lighting package/R look. Also intakes are just a cone on a stick, so don't worry about one being tried and proven since they all work. Main thing you should worry about is closed vs. open filter and filter quality.

Going, what is the consensus regarding oiled v. non-oiled filters? Since we have direct injection I was curious if oiled filters would contribute to carbon buildup on the valves.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Going, what is the consensus regarding oiled v. non-oiled filters? Since we have direct injection I was curious if oiled filters would contribute to carbon buildup on the valves.

Honestly I don't think there is a consensus. What we do know is that oiled filters will trap slightly less contaminants and therefore flow slightly better airflow while Dry filters will trap slightly more contaminants, but flow slightly worse. When I say slightly I mean I'm talking like within 1%. That being said I don't think there will be any negligible difference in carbon build-up between the two. I expect we will start to see posts about carbon build-up fairly soon as it takes a lot of miles to accumulate. Luckily where as the MK6/MK5 cars would take about 8 hours to clean the valves, these cars can be done start to finish in less than two hours. As for the filter Id say grab whatever's the best deal you can get. Obviously with oiled you will have to oil it every once and a while.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Yeah seems like an intake isn't a purchase for a trip to 'gain city' but my main reason for wanting one is to be able to actually hear the turbo :D

Not a complete newb btw, I built my late Cobalt SS to 380whp on a supercharger if that helps haha :D

Mk7VW

Banned

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I was against aftermarket intakes, but couldn't pass up one I got at cost. I like it because it keeps the stock look with just a little bit more sound and quite a bit more surface area.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Honestly I don't think there is a consensus. What we do know is that oiled filters will trap slightly less contaminants and therefore flow slightly better airflow while Dry filters will trap slightly more contaminants, but flow slightly worse. When I say slightly I mean I'm talking like within 1%. That being said I don't think there will be any negligible difference in carbon build-up between the two. I expect we will start to see posts about carbon build-up fairly soon as it takes a lot of miles to accumulate. Luckily where as the MK6/MK5 cars would take about 8 hours to clean the valves, these cars can be done start to finish in less than two hours. As for the filter Id say grab whatever's the best deal you can get. Obviously with oiled you will have to oil it every once and a while.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
How can I get that intake at cost?
Get a ton of other stuff installed at the same time. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Yeah I think I'm gonna go the R600 route :) real nice looking OEM piece without too much sound, but some. Perfect :)

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Get a ton of other stuff installed at the same time. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

^^^ Nearly everything done to the engine (bleeder block, short shifter - are some cheap ones) require removing the air box, so replacing it then would be no added work.