GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf R came with 30 pin MDI adapter - solution?

Guisslapp

I was surprised to see that a 2015 car was equipped with 30 pin (iPhone 4 and earlier) MDI adapter instead of the 8 pin "lightning" adapter.

Is this what everyone got?

What is the best solution for adapters for iPhone 5 and newer without losing functionality with MDI?

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Yes that's the Media-in Ipod cable; you should have a lightning cable thrown in the glove box as well; my car came with both...dunno if this applies for US though.

mchan1

Try swapping the older MDI cable for the newer MDI cable with Lightning adapter at the dealership since the cable is relatively new.

Otherwise, contact VWoA and tell them you just bought a new VW and want the newer adapter.
I did just that and waiting for it to arrive.

The nice customer service rep emailed me the case number in case I don't receive it within 2 weeks of our contact.

sheeno

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I spoke with VWOA online chat and they sent me the iphone 6 cable for free. It came via UPS 2 day air too.

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
My dealer diddnt wanna play ball. Got one off ebay for like 30 bucks. Works fine.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I had to order my cable from the VW Parts Center, $60 + tax and shipping/handling.

The dealer said they didn't have any and didn't know when they would get more. Of course they are readily available if you want to pay for the cable out of your own pocket. Cheap bastards! :mad:

INoahGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
I hooked up an adapter to 30pin and converted it to USB and then used Apple Lightning Cable. Took about 2 seconds to hook up and costs $4.50

Amazon CY Black Iphone Ipad Docking 30pin Female to USB 2.0 Female Data Charge Cable 10cm $4.50.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LGHJYQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did this for my android in MK5. I found that the power supply was almost non existent and ended up just using the 12v. Any idea what the max power to the MDI is?

mckersive

My first post! I found that the apple solution (30 pin to lightning adopter) left a lot to be desired. I'm assuming the same issues might crop up if I had a dedicated VW lightning cable because the apple adopter shouldn't by itself add to the issues.

The issues I'm seeing are the lack of correct syncing of the information that's on my phone (ie which song is playing) and what's displayed in my car. Also the current that flows through the VW system must be very low as it takes forever (and a day) to charge the phone. Given the robust Bluetooth system, I prefer to connect the phone to a high 2.1 amp current cigarette plug USB port and just rely on Bluetooth. Also I purchased a nice black cable so it blends in better.