GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Autobahn with DAP and Lighting package. Are there no avenues to upgrade headlights?

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
I love the look of the double U's and the absence of the orange inserts. But I can't find any way to upgrade my headlights. Mostly I see folks who have the Halogens upgrading. I've tried searching but I guess I suck at it. Any ideas?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Depends on what you consider to be an "upgrade". You could buy inferior Chinese knockoffs and get the double U's, but that's a REALLY lousy compromise, given that you already have OEM xenons.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What is your reason for wanting to upgrade? What about the LP do you find lacking? Osram makes replacement headlights that are all LED... but lack the leveling and turn assistance (what ever it's called) of the LP. They would be a side-grade I think, and not plug and play coming from a LP vehicle.

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
Depends on what you consider to be an "upgrade". You could buy inferior Chinese knockoffs and get the double U's, but that's a REALLY lousy compromise, given that you already have OEM xenons.
What is your reason for wanting to upgrade? What about the LP do you find lacking? Osram makes replacement headlights that are all LED... but lack the leveling and turn assistance (what ever it's called) of the LP. They would be a side-grade I think, and not plug and play coming from a LP vehicle.

Honestly it’s just the way they look. Mainly the amber insert drives me nuts. I remember when I had my Audi’s I could actually drill it out and reseal the lights. But I’m too old for that crap now. Not a fan of the cheap knock offs.

sigh sorry just venting. the OEM xenons are really nice though.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like you have a few options. Lighting package makes it very difficult/near impossible to use the cheap reps that the non-LP folks use.
Easiest (0-$) to Hardest ($$-$$$$) solutions.:
  • Do nothing. 🤷
  • Tint-vinyl for the ambers. There are sellers who make precuts out there.
  • Hacking some reps to use on your LP setup. ($$ and you will lose features such as the curve assist, auto-level and need new bulbs and ballasts)
  • Euro-spec GTI headlamps. Plug and play. No ambers. ($$$)
  • Euro-spec Golf R lamps not quite plug and play, but close. ($$$$)

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like you have a few options. Lighting package makes it very difficult/near impossible to use the cheap reps that the non-LP folks use.
Easiest (0-$) to Hardest ($$-$$$$) solutions.:
  • Do nothing. 🤷
  • Tint-vinyl for the ambers. There are sellers who make precuts out there.
  • Hacking some reps to use on your LP setup. ($$ and you will lose features such as the curve assist, auto-level and need new bulbs and ballasts)
  • Euro-spec GTI headlamps. Plug and play. No ambers. ($$$)
  • Euro-spec Golf R lamps not quite plug and play, but close. ($$$$)
Yeah that's a very succinct list of options. Thanks! I'll follow up on the Euro spec stuff to see how much $$ and weight the cost.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ does that list kind of include just buying american golf R oem headlights? Then worst case scenario you could peel off the lenses to tint the sidemarkers, if present.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Honestly it’s just the way they look. Mainly the amber insert drives me nuts. I remember when I had my Audi’s I could actually drill it out and reseal the lights. But I’m too old for that crap now. Not a fan of the cheap knock offs.

sigh sorry just venting. the OEM xenons are really nice though.
all the aftermarket options are "cheap knockoffs" (except for Osram). OEM lighting package lights are the best you can get.

^ does that list kind of include just buying american golf R oem headlights? Then worst case scenario you could peel off the lenses to tint the sidemarkers, if present.
If that works it is probably the best option, I doubt they are plug and play though, and probably would cost close to $1000.

Not the same, but @George Ab retro'd non-LP to OEM LP headlights. Take a peak at the DIY to see how "easy" it was.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ighting-package-afs-bi-xenon-retrofit.341350/

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
ftr too, i had decided to simply put some tint vynil over the amber marker portion of my lights, on the outside. For what it's worth, it definately darked them up to not be nearly as noticable and looks pretty good IMO. One of those really subtle things that makes a good difference.

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
ftr too, i had decided to simply put some tint vynil over the amber marker portion of my lights, on the outside. For what it's worth, it definately darked them up to not be nearly as noticable and looks pretty good IMO. One of those really subtle things that makes a good difference.

Got any pics?

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
If you're spending $$$ for the Euro option, you should go all out and get the Mk7 R set with DLA (Dynamic Light Assist) which is the fully loaded version of our basic AFS only sets here in NAR.

On sale right now for only 1.999,00 € plus shipping. 😁

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tun...r-head-lights-genuine-volkswagen-with-dla.htm

Then you would have the coolest headlights on the block for sure.

At that point I’ll just get a damn R! Such a slippery slope. Haha

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
all the aftermarket options are "cheap knockoffs" (except for Osram). OEM lighting package lights are the best you can get.

If that works it is probably the best option, I doubt they are plug and play though, and probably would cost close to $1000.

Not the same, but @George Ab retro'd non-LP to OEM LP headlights. Take a peak at the DIY to see how "easy" it was.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ighting-package-afs-bi-xenon-retrofit.341350/
Yeah that’s so not worth it.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Went the Osram-way on my NA LP for registration in Germany last summer, and would do it again. Don‘t miss the AFS bending on slower speeds at all. Auto leveling works if you downgrade the leveling ecu and wiring to the non-AFS Xenon variant in Europe.