GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I didn’t think they’d discount these, since my buddy who works for Continental told me it’s the only tire he can’t use his discount on.
yes i have a buy3get1 code on those, should be good through December 1st. I have 3(?) track events on them, a few autocrosses, and a few thousand street miles. no signs of delamination and im very happy with how they have help up compared to the RT660s i was running.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
yes i have a buy3get1 code on those, should be good through December 1st. I have 3(?) track events on them, a few autocrosses, and a few thousand street miles. no signs of delamination and im very happy with how they have help up compared to the RT660s i was running.
I'm super annoyed with my 660's. They all have a huge crack in them, making me not want to drive them at 150mph. I think I liked the V730's better, even though 660's are likely faster.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm super annoyed with my 660's. They all have a huge crack in them, making me not want to drive them at 150mph. I think I liked the V730's better, even though 660's are likely faster.
And the V730 feel like they are getting faster and faster as I run more events

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I've been running the Continental ECFs on my other car and I'm a fan. They remind me generally of when I had Hankook RS4s, on the GTI but certainly not an apples to apples comparison. Very consistent but with 10 days they are certainly heat cycled out and don't quite have the same peak grip. I estimate about another 2 days a left in them tread-wise. Got mine from trackdaytire.

Last edited:

MQB_7.5R

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R(s)
I started shopping around for a good 200TW tire for my Golf R (245/40/18). Currently looking at Falken RT660, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS, and Hankook RS4. Unfortunately, I just missed the $100 rebate with the RT660s. These tires would be for spirited driving and street use. I'm not too concerned with them wearing out fast, as my car doesn't get driven much.

Would anyone have a top choice from these 3 options, or is there a better option I am missing?

Going on a set of APEX VS-5RS Forged 18x9" ET42

1696684560744.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I started shopping around for a good 200TW tire for my Golf R (245/40/18). Currently looking at Falken RT660, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS, and Hankook RS4. Unfortunately, I just missed the $100 rebate with the RT660s. These tires would be for spirited driving and street use. I'm not too concerned with them wearing out fast, as my car doesn't get driven much.

Would anyone have a top choice from these 3 options, or is there a better option I am missing?

View attachment 292957
200s are a bit of overkill for street use vs. a summer. RS4 will at least last the longest.

Last edited:

MQB_7.5R

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R(s)
200s are a bit off overkill for street use vs. a summer. RS4 will at least last the longest.
My entire car is kinda overkill for what I use it for (LOL). It was driven about 1,500 miles last year due to me being away at college.

I plan to eventually do a track day with the car in the future. I just purchased a set of KW V3's and Vorshlag camber plates and plan to install them this summer.

After having a mk6 GTI with plenty of random issues, I now follow the "buy once, cry once mindset."

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

View attachment 292957
MPS4S will be better on the street and have more grip than a 200tw most of the time. You never get 200tw tires up to temp on the street.

MPS4S have more grip at the lower temps you'll see on the street.

It's like putting racing brake pads on your car and expecting better braking on the street.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
MPS4S will be better on the street and have more grip than a 200tw most of the time. You never get 200tw tires up to temp on the street.

MPS4S have more grip at the lower temps you'll see on the street.

It's like putting racing brake pads on your car and expecting better braking on the street.
Exactly/this. A set if PS4S or ECS are fantastic tires which also work just fine for occasional track use. Why suffer with a rough loud ride and low use life on the street? If you are having traction issues on the street on those tires there are other issues. These are world-class sports car tires.

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R

View attachment 292957
Potenza Race could be a nice option, similar to a Cup 2 which I like for street.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
My entire car is kinda overkill for what I use it for (LOL). It was driven about 1,500 miles last year due to me being away at college.

I plan to eventually do a track day with the car in the future. I just purchased a set of KW V3's and Vorshlag camber plates and plan to install them this summer.

After having a mk6 GTI with plenty of random issues, I now follow the "buy once, cry once mindset."
If you're thinking about a single track day, one of the good summer tires are the best option. PS4S or ECS 02 IMO.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
MPS4S in 235 3518 vs my RT660 in 255 40 17, the MPS4S has more grip for braking, acceleration and cornering on the street. I've driven my buddies IS38 GTI with that size MPS4S and was astounded so the grip. I'd need quite a bit of heat in the RT660's to get more grip. Also, I've been DDing my RT660's this year, since I only drive it 100 or so miles a month. If it's cool out, no grip.

I haven't dailied MPS4S, but I have dailied MPSS. Fantastic in all conditions and did great on track, BUT putting 18 autocrosses on them in Florida summer heat cycled them out at 50% tread depth.

Again, tires are like brake pads, they're designed to work in specific heat ranges.

For a street only car, you can't do better MPS4S. Even the Cup 2's like some heat.

So be honest with yourself with how hard and how hot you're really going to get the tires.

Me personally, I won't drive more than 7/10ths on the street. Cars are just so fast and capable today, that at 10/10ths, a mistake can kill you or another driver. For me, I just don't get the RT660's warm enough to surpass the MPS4S grip levels. Add the MPS4S being guieter, better in the R rain, and longer wearing, it's a no brainer to me..

We did a night autocross last month. The dude on Conti ESC was slowest during the heat of the day by about .7 sec in our class. He was by far the fastest at night. I had zero grip. Car was skating all over at night. @mrmatto got a rerun and was able to do back to back runs and got close to the guy on Contis with his V730's.

It's all about the heat.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
MPS4S in 235 3518 vs my RT660 in 255 40 17, the MPS4S has more grip for breaking, acceleration and cornering on the street. I've driven my buddies IS38 GTI with that size MPS4S and was astounded so the grip. I'd need quite a bit of heat in the RT660's to get more grip. Also, I've been DDing my RT660's this year, since I only drive it 100 or so miles a month. If it's cool out, no grip.

I haven't dailied MPS4S, but I have dailied MPSS. Fantastic in all conditions and did great on track, BUT putting 18 autocrosses on them in Florida summer heat cycled them out at 50% tread depth.

Again, tires are like brake pads, they're designed to work in specific heat ranges.

For a street only car, you can't do better MPS4S. Even the Cup 2's like some heat.

So be honest with yourself with how hard and how hot you're really going to get the tires.

Me personally, I won't drive more than 7/10ths on the street. Cars are just so fast and capable today, that at 10/10ths, a mistake can kill you or another driver. For me, I just don't get the RT660's warm enough to surpass the MPS4S grip levels. Add the MPS4S being guieter, better in the R rain, and longer wearing, it's a no brainer to me..

We did a night autocross last month. The dude on Conti ESC was slowest during the heat of the day by about .7 sec in our class. He was by far the fastest at night. I had zero grip. Car was skating all over at night. @mrmatto got a rerun and was able to do back to back runs and got close to the guy on Contis with his V730's.

It's all about the heat.
Preach.