GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I hate these "perks". Here's a perk, lower my rates. USAA isn't the only company guilty of this.

But thanks for the pointer.
I don't even use them for insurance, they couldn't beat my current provider. I have heard that USAA is great to deal with if you actually need a big claim paid out, though. Navy Federal, otoh, has had amazing rates. Shitty now, but always better than everyone else.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I've had USAA for about 15 years, rates are still great. I've had 2 claims in that time, one went very smooth, the other not so much. My friend was driving my car and totaled it, they flagged it for fraud and it went into a black hole. They finally settled it after 9 months of fighting with them.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
My rates are un fucking real/high now. I've been a member for 25 years with no real claims drama etc....it's so high I can't almost stomach it.
I was a USAA member for a lot of years, maybe 10+. I switched to State Farm and saved quite a bit, and they paid several thousand from the savings plan that I was unaware that I had. I loved USAA service but they were too expensive.

Reactions: krs

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I was a USAA member for a lot of years, maybe 10+. I switched to State Farm and saved quite a bit, and they paid several thousand from the savings plan that I was unaware that I had. I loved USAA service but they were too expensive.
I know I can save going to someone else but I'm afraid it will be an introductory rate that will go away after a year. USAA does have great customer service.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't even use them for insurance, they couldn't beat my current provider. I have heard that USAA is great to deal with if you actually need a big claim paid out, though. Navy Federal, otoh, has had amazing rates. Shitty now, but always better than everyone else.
I've had Navy Fed and USAA since I was young - dad was in the Navy. Navy Fed is my go-to for loans...USAA for insurance and actually I do my banking there too. Yes, USAA is actually good when you need to use the insurance.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I know I can save going to someone else but I'm afraid it will be an introductory rate that will go away after a year. USAA does have great customer service.
Yeah I hear you on that. State Farm has done well to drop our rates during Covid and only very slightly increased recently. I think with all insurance, you have to shop around every few years to keep rates low.

USAA wouldn’t insure our house, 10 years ago, due to the fact that we’re in a “high fire risk” area. Allstate was good until we had to get a new roof and State Farm came into play to drop rates back down. Now we’re bundled and all is well for a few years, hopefully.

Apologies for the deviation from tires in this thread.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
While it somewhat varies by state or even region. When I was working in the collision repair industry (doing ADAS calibrations), I was in and out of 20+ body shops in the Hampton Roads are regularly over the course of 2 years. The company I worked for was along the east coast with our sister company more down in the gulf coast area.

G**** and S**** F*** are by far the worst insurance companies to deal with if you want your car fixed correctly. While ALL insurance companies will end up in law suits now and then, they're by far the worst.

I touched on "DRP" or Direct Repair Program relationships in this article here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z8eThHyjZZxhwTATiKBmu8M2ERylfsay/view

Those two insurance companies are the easiest to get into a DRP with, because they are the largest and can promise say 25 cars a week guaranteed for their techs to work on. Problem is, they start squeezing estimates to use all non-OE parts, crappy Chinese aftermarket garbage parts, etc.

S**** F*** had a long-lasting lawsuit (3+ years) by trying to make a repair shop install a USED quarter panel (crumple zone, structural). There is a video in this article going over why this is impossible to do (correctly), yet they don't want to spend $7k more to do the proper repairs.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...ues-state-farm-in-used-quarter-panel-dispute/

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...e-lawsuit-over-payment-for-new-quarter-panel/

If you have G**** or S**** F***, they will NOT pay for any kind of diagnostic scans to be done to even SEE if anything else is wrong with it depending on the manufacturers position statement... this is industry standard for nearly every other insurance company. It's part of the process. VW does NOT have an official position statement, and even when quoting it being required out of a service manual, they would deny scanning the vehicle because they didn't want to spend the $50 or whatever it was.

Had a REALLY funny one once though - one of those two wouldn't pay for a pre-scan (done after collision, but before collision repairs start)... and the airbag light never got scanned for. Car was in simple rear end accident. Nothing major, nothing structural. Afterwards, I scanned the car because the shop wanted to make sure it wasn't part of the accident (basically they agreed to pay me, a sublet vendor, even if the insurance company did not)... battery had died (or was disconnected) while in the shop so any evidence of mileage set was erased from freeze frame data. I notated that it couldn't be known one way or the other, but the DTC was for internal SRS module failure. In reality probably not related to the collision, but without the pre-scan I couldn't say with certainty. Customer complained repeatedly to the insurance company (as they should assuming it wasn't on before the accident), and it ended up costing them another $3k in module replacement/coding/programming/initialization/etc. 🤣

For more fun, go to www.repairerdrivennews.com and use the "search" at the top to look for your insurance company.

Another good one to search for is "John Eagle Collision center vs S**** F***". The insurance company got off free because the insurer is not the "repair professional". But the insurance company is allowed to tell the body shop that "you don't need to weld the roof... just epoxy it" because "it's fine on other similar cars"... despite not being the Honda outlined repair procedure. :unsure: People die because of shitty insurance companies bullying repair shops to save a few bucks.

The biggest insurance companies are not posting record breaking profits because they repair your car correctly.

On the other hand USAA was excellent to deal with, and never had a single problem. They would require vehicles over X years old to be repaired with aftermarket non-structural body panels when available, BUT if the initial mockup proved they were unusable, they wouldn't squawk over just ordering OEM instead. Vs the others who would force the body shop to try 4 different shitty Chinese bumper covers that don't fit right until they find the one needle in a haystack that might look "okay enough" that the customer won't notice.

Get me drunk at a party and talking about how fucked up the collision industry is some time... I could go on for a LONG time. I've seen insurance adjusters trying to bribe body shop techs to pull out structural panels that are "replace only" per manufacturer repair procedures. They get compensated/upward promotion based on how much they don't cost their company. It's fucking bad.

*I will add there are exceptions to everything above of course. But generally speaking, everything above was what went down 90% of the time at the shops I worked with.

edit: I am currently with Travelers. I use a company called Goosehead (www.goosehead.com) to check regularly. I answer their questions and it cross shops everyone (except a few, USAA is one of them), and I pick one of the name brand carriers who aren't the two "big" ones above. I cross shop every year or so and sometimes switch, sometimes not. You don't save money by staying with the same company forever. Any weird "specific" coverages I just email my agent and she corrects it and sends new quotes. Same thing if I need to make a change to my policy like adding or selling a car, etc.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I've had Navy Fed and USAA since I was young - dad was in the Navy. Navy Fed is my go-to for loans...USAA for insurance and actually I do my banking there too. Yes, USAA is actually good when you need to use the insurance.
Same, Navy Fed for all financials, USAA for insurance.

But I do shop around once or twice a year for insurance, make sure I’m not getting bent over too bad.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Mounted.

20230923_170652.jpg
20230923_171740.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Chunky

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Heat cycled. Grippy and surprisingly quiet. Can't wait to get on the track with then this weekend.

20230925_105534.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Flip em. They'll be fine. /s