GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 Doors vs 4 Doors GTI... Let's debate!

2 Doors or 4 Doors GTI?

• Total voters

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
No enthusiast buys a 4-door VW unless it's an R.
Oh man I thought I was an enthusiast until you made that statement, what other life wisdom can you teach us? I Guess R guys with DSG are non enthusiasts also right?

sent using Pide Piper middle out compression app

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
What is an enthusiast to do when VW goes full retard and cuts the 2 door option to the states? R is not an option when they're selling for over msrp around here.
I got so lucky with my 2dr. There is a VW dealership right down the street from my office. The day I went in there to check out the inventory, they had literally just delivered a 2016 PW 2dr 6MT GTI. It had no PP or LP but I didn't care because 2dr's were so hard to find. Shortly after I bought my 2dr, VW announced no more 2dr's for the USA.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone ever considered trading their mk7 for a different door configuration? It would be nice to switch without taking a hit. I have a late build 2015 2dr, S equipped with PP, DSG and LP. Tuned with APR stage1 for 15k out of 19k miles.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

LastDragon

Ready to race!
I will be hated for this but... I feel like if I'm going to lose practicality and go for a 2 door, the car would either have to be alot faster (gtr, zo6, r8) or unique/rare(ish) (mk5 r32, dolrean lol).... the gti is not quick enough to get rid of the convenience of a 4 door... for me at least. It's definetaly zippy, agile, decent mpg, beautiful interior, well priced, easily modifiable, but the 4 door keeps it practical on top of all of that.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I will be hated for this but... I feel like if I'm going to lose practicality and go for a 2 door, the car would either have to be alot faster (gtr, zo6, r8) or unique/rare(ish) (mk5 r32, dolrean lol).... the gti is not quick enough to get rid of the convenience of a 4 door... for me at least. It's definetaly zippy, agile, decent mpg, beautiful interior, well priced, easily modifiable, but the 4 door keeps it practical on top of all of that.
Depends how tall you are when speaking of practicality for the driver. There's a huge difference when comparing 2 vs 4 door in a small car like the golf.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

surrealjam

Ready to race!
It's all personal preference but I think the MK7 looks better in a 5 door. It looks like that's how it would have been designed originally and then "converted" to 2 door rather than the other way around.

It would have made more sense for VW to put the 2 door on the shorter wheel base, similar to how Audi did for the 3 door A3 and also (in Europe at least) SEAT did with the 3 door Leon. The Leon in particular looks good in both 5 door and 3 door because they actually made an effort to re-design the physical shape. It also impacts the driving characteristics on these cars because the shorter wheelbase alters the handling and the performance (as they are lighter). With the Golf, there is no discernible difference in how the 3/5 door performs.

Comments like "no enthusiast buys a 4-door VW" are wrong on lots of levels... not least because VW is a brand that makes several models that only come in 4 door.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Seriously? With the 2 door to get the kiddo in the back it takes one flip of a seat lever and easy pull forward. Boom. Probably more room to slide in than the 4 door models. Lol. I just do not like the mini van look with 4 doors. People are going to debate/defend what they have spent their money on regardless.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Seriously? With the 2 door to get the kiddo in the back it takes one flip of a seat lever and easy pull forward. Boom. Probably more room to slide in than the 4 door models. Lol. I just do not like the mini van look with 4 doors. People are going to debate/defend what they have spent their money on regardless.
Not sure debating the convenience of the 4 door vs the 2 door is much of a debate regardless of how one spends their money, having had the 2 door and now the 4 with 2 car seats in the back is a no brainer. I also don't get the mini van thing? I have a few friends with Honda mini vans and I don't see the resemblance at all, its funny they look at my car like its a sports car, lol[emoji41]

sent using Pide Piper middle out compression app

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
4 doors. Much easier for passengers and my dog to hop in the back. Also much easier for me to put items in the back seat.

surrealjam

Ready to race!
If people think that a 2 door VS 4 door Golf is making people go from "that's a minivan" to "that's a nice sports car" then I think they might be kidding themselves :D

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So to summarize the last 100 posts in 1 post.

2dr : Only true gti, so they shouldn't even offer a 4dr. (With that reasoning, shouldn't offer a turbo or an automatic either). Looks better. More armrest room on door (probably the best argument)

4dr : More practical, especially for families/ car seats / car pooling. ¿Less armrest on door?.

That's all I got. Moving on...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
What is an enthusiast to do when VW goes full retard and cuts the 2 door option to the states? R is not an option when they're selling for over msrp around here.

Agree. I called every major VW dealer in the state, told them to call me if they came across a used 2 door PP mk7, and waited....no call in 3+ months. So ridiculous.

I owned only 2-door cars until the R. And I only drove manual cars when I was younger. Marketing 4-door cars like the R and other brands to enthusiasts sucks. If I didn't need the hatchback capacity I would have looked at a Camaro SS.

I would widen my search. Look on cars.com. I was unaware R's were going for over MSRP. I only saw that from 2 dealers when I searched a year ago.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
If people think that a 2 door VS 4 door Golf is making people go from "that's a minivan" to "that's a nice sports car" then I think they might be kidding themselves :D

Excellent.
The cars have the same exact profile - roofline, hatch...
I fail to see how some people think the two door looks like some kind sports coupe relative to the four door. :confused:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I owned only 2-door cars until the R. And I only drove manual cars when I was younger. Marketing 4-door cars like the R and other brands to enthusiasts sucks. If I didn't need the hatchback capacity I would have looked at a Camaro SS.

I would widen my search. Look on cars.com. I was unaware R's were going for over MSRP. I only saw that from 2 dealers when I searched a year ago.

Marketing four doors to enthusiasts sucks?
Did you miss the whole European sports sedan thing the past few decades?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Marketing four doors to enthusiasts sucks?
Did you miss the whole European sports sedan thing the past few decades?
It would seem that the American mentality says the following:

"it's not a sports/sporty car unless:
-2 doors only
-lacks any kind of practicality
-better have a manual transmission
-sits so low that it's hard to get out of
-lacks rearward visibility
-V8, 'cuz it's America Dang it!"

Then I look at cars like Ferrari and Porsche who seem to be moving to the dual-clutch transmissions that shift way faster than I ever could.

BMW, who pioneered the sports sedan with their M5.

Volkswagen, who gave life to the term "hot hatch" (super practical!)

And many makers have turbo 4 & 6 bangers that kill NA factory v8s in both performance and gas mileage.