GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18x8.5 with 225/40/18 stock suspension

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

Before I do something stupid, I wanted to consult the wisdom of the forum. So I came across some new in box MB 18x8.5 ET35 wheels. I'm still on TSI stock 16x6.5 ET46 Dovers. No plans to drop or modify suspension. If I go with 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ the fitment calculator shows a 0.1" height difference and a 0.83" (21mm) outside increase. Since guys are using 20mm spacers on OEM wheels, seems like I should sit pretty flush.

Is there something I'm missing? It's an aggressive change, 6.5" to 8.5" and the OEM 18" wheels are 7.5". But with a 225/40 tire and ET35 offset, it should work, right? I scanned the forum and see some guys going even bigger. Any thoughts or Advice?

Here are the wheels:
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/wto/d/rims-wheels-for-amg-mercedes/6654976638.html

Thanks in advance!

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I think your outside rim edge is out
25.4mm ( 1/2 of rim width change) + 11mm (change in offset) = 36.4mm.

attach a penny to a piece of tape and let the tape hang from the inside edge of fender. Room for 36.4mm?

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for your quick reply and the tip with the penny and tape. I ran outside and tried it. A ruler from the widest part of the rim to where the tape drops is about an inch (25.4mm). So that means the rim will stick out from the fender 11mm? How bad is that? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Will it stick out more than the photo taken with the 20mm BMS spacer?

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks nype, so the site says:

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 1.3mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 26.7mm more than before.

So I guess the answer is no, they won't fit. At least they won't look stock. I am a bit curious how they would ride though.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
I recently was debating 18x8 ET35 vs 18x8 ET48 (mostly b/c I wanted OZ Leggeras and they only come in those 2 offsets for our bolt pattern)... I really wanted to get the ET35 b/c I know the rears would look great as that, but everytime I measured the front I feel it might be sitting out slightly so I'll probably slap some 10mm spacers on the rear with ET48

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
I ended up going with some "like new" 17" VW Valley wheels off an Alltrack. They are nice and light. The price was amazing and they were plug and play. Plenty of tread but I'm eyeing some Michelin pilot sport 4S with 225/45/17. Which should be a good contact patch for better grip.

I recently was debating 18x8 ET35 vs 18x8 ET48 (mostly b/c I wanted OZ Leggeras and they only come in those 2 offsets for our bolt pattern)... I really wanted to get the ET35 b/c I know the rears would look great as that, but everytime I measured the front I feel it might be sitting out slightly so I'll probably slap some 10mm spacers on the rear with ET48