GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1,800 mile oil change

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Just change it. And continue to do so every 5,000 along with a new oil filter.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
What's with all of these low mileage R's. I put 2000+ miles on my car every month (and use a company car for about another 1000).

Why buy an R if you aren't going to drive it.

Nothing wrong with owning a car that you don't drive much.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
The problem comes from the fact that the engine hasn't sealed completely and the oil is taking on all sorts of blowby crap. The soot, break-in particulate, and all the other junk is floating around in it (which is good) until drained
Yeah, that's what I figured. Must be a VW engine thing as I said I have not encountered this in my previous cars. That's really what I'm looking for - is this a VW thing? Sounds like maybe it is.

I did my 17' Golf-R's first oil change earlier this Spring at around 2800 miles or so (one year bought new) and it was pretty dark. I didn't think much of it and just did the change (LiquiMoly 5w40). I've not had any issues.
Thanks. I don't expect issues as I am well aware dark oil is not a sign of poor oil performance but I was not expecting it to be so dark and opaque after such a short amount of time because, based on past experience, I've not seen this before.

What's with all of these low mileage R's. I put 2000+ miles on my car every month (and use a company car for about another 1000). Why buy an R if you aren't going to drive it.
My daily commute is 6 miles round trip and I run errands on the weekend. This is why my mileage is so crappy - 15.6 so far. That's just the way it is for me. But I do drive it every day. Just not that far.

Just change it. And continue to do so every 5,000 along with a new oil filter.
Yeah, that's pretty much the plan and what I've done with all my cars. I've used Mobil 1 for over 30 years and every car I've owned has never had a problem even when I happened to go 10,000 between oil changes.

adam1991

Banned
Please don't start this B.S. again. That's not what I said. If that's your interpretation of what I said, then make sure you clarify that. Don't restate my simple questions as your flawed understanding of the English language.

I don't have a flawed understanding of the English language. But perhaps you have a flawed understanding of how to express yourself. To wit:

But at less than 2000 miles TOTAL, this oil was a mess especially for a brand new car.

Why did you come here and start a thread about your oil, and use the above words, if you aren't worried that there's something wrong with your oil?

What does "a mess especially for a brand new car" mean if it doesn't mean "I think something's wrong"?

Do tell.

Oh--and you qualified your remarks later with:

I know the color of the oil matters 0% in the effectiveness of the oil to lubricate the engine but it's surprising to have it that dark and thick and opaque after less than 2000 miles. It should have looked more like dark iced tea and not chocolate syrup.

So in a SECOND post you continued to express your thought that the oil is not looking like it "should"--ergo, that "something's wrong".

Please don't blame the reader for inferring exactly what I inferred.

tl;dr--one shouldn't have to ask you to clarify on a forum like this whether you're simply being conversational when you express what you did, or whether you're worried that "something's wrong".

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I don't have a flawed understanding of the English language. But perhaps you have a flawed understanding of how to express yourself. To wit:

Why did you come here and start a thread about your oil, and use the above words, if you aren't worried that there's something wrong with your oil?

What does "a mess especially for a brand new car" mean if it doesn't mean "I think something's wrong"?

Do tell.

Oh--and you qualified your remarks later with:

So in a SECOND post you continued to express your thought that the oil is not looking like it "should"--ergo, that "something's wrong".

Please don't blame the reader for inferring exactly what I inferred.

tl;dr--one shouldn't have to ask you to clarify on a forum like this whether you're simply being conversational when you express what you did, or whether you're worried that "something's wrong".
You are an idiot. Please stop reading and replying to my posts.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Wait, we have to change the oil?

Only if you drive a black VW, no other colors require them and don't listen to these "Stealerships"

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
My take is that constant short trips ("My daily commute is 6 miles round trip" so that is only 3 miles per drive) means that the engine is never running at an optimum temperature. This type of usage is very hard on oil and combustion byproducts can accumulate in the oil. An oil analysis may confirm that is what is happening to the oil.

I would suggest changing it every 6 months, even though the mileage is very low.

In cold weather my Golf R can take up to 20 minutes of (gentle) driving to get the oil properly warmed up.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
My take is that constant short trips ("My daily commute is 6 miles round trip" so that is only 3 miles per drive) means that the engine is never running at an optimum temperature. This type of usage is very hard on oil and combustion byproducts can accumulate in the oil. An oil analysis may confirm that is what is happening to the oil.

I would suggest changing it every 6 months, even though the mileage is very low.
I'll definitely keep a close eye on it for sure. Thanks.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Saying never gets old, drive more, worry less

You want to know why your oil was black, get a used oil analysis and see what they say... maybe there was more soot then usual in the oil... since the introduction of direct injection in gas engines, soot has become more of a problem (also the same problem which causes the carbon build up on valves). This is just my 2 cents