GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI 122 cambelt row

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you - so it seems like the technician at my franchise was used to servicing only the MK6. Now we still have the issue of of VW removing the cambelt change from their service computer and the pricing of my service.

Now as more and more MK7 will be reaching their cambelt changed date I think VW should issue a service notification to their franchises. Basically as they've removed the service interval from their maintenance computer it is causing confusion.

I think VW UK are a bit dim too and are probably still looking at old recommendations for past models.

However if it is a beltcam can it possibly be for life?

pcr

Ready to race!
When I bought this car VW were saying the cambelt lasted for the lifetime of the car, now they are saying change after 5 years. Also, they appear to warranty the belt only, not the cost of any remedial work should it break, so effectively not worth a jot.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi this whole saga is very confusing - I think some incorrect data has trickled down through the VW systems. I am going to write to VW in Wolfsburg as my franchise still indicated that they thought it shouldn't be changed.

When I had asked them what would happen if the cambelt broke - the girl who books cars in for services just shrugged her shoulders and giggled.

I'm also unhappy that I was charged £530 for the cambelt only as they had originally said that this included the water pump.

Is it the case now where you have to get the timing belt and the belt that the water pump runs off plus the water pump itself paid for separately - if so it's going to cost a fortune.

pcr

Ready to race!
When I come to change the cambelt my car will have only done 25000 miles, I do not anticipate changing the water pump or cambelt tensioner.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi this whole saga is very confusing - I think some incorrect data has trickled down through the VW systems. I am going to write to VW in Wolfsburg as my franchise still indicated that they thought it shouldn't be changed.

When I had asked them what would happen if the cambelt broke - the girl who books cars in for services just shrugged her shoulders and giggled.

I'm also unhappy that I was charged £530 for the cambelt only as they had originally said that this included the water pump.

Is it the case now where you have to get the timing belt and the belt that the water pump runs off plus the water pump itself paid for separately - if so it's going to cost a fortune.

No the mechanics get the right info the front of shop lot don't see this stuff as deemed to technical for them..they are only concerned with finance & brochure info...

Basically its supposed to be "lifetime" as not scheduled for the main timing belt as per one of my posts on this thread.

However there have been numerous cases in the past where VW has had to climb down from these types of statements.....previous VAG car was 6yrs...& when others hit 5yrs the belts were going like mad...so they changed to 4yrs 60,000miles...

Do it as & when you see fit for piece of mind...

what does the invoice state on it??? scan or photo it & upload the jpeg on here?

Just had a quick look at the procedure & you still have to remove the engine mount on that side to remove the belt & tensioner...

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi for some reason they didn't put a copy of the invoice I had originally signed in their end of service pack - the pack just had computer printouts of what they'd done.

I'm going to email them for a copy to to see if the original quote was for the cambelt and Water pump - if so I'll be able to hold them to it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi for some reason they didn't put a copy of the invoice I had originally signed in their end of service pack - the pack just had computer printouts of what they'd done.

I'm going to email them for a copy to to see if the original quote was for the cambelt and Water pump - if so I'll be able to hold them to it.

??...

computer print outs of what they had done with prices eg parts, labour, etc, should be the invoice....my dealer always gives me one...

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
No sorry when I dropped of the car they gave me hand written note with the quote and what they intended to do.

The computer printout showed what they had actually done.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
No sorry when I dropped of the car they gave me hand written note with the quote and what they intended to do.

The computer printout showed what they had actually done.

So what does the computer print out say?...or is this piece of paper you did not get a copy of?

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
The computer printout which I did get a copy of just listed the price of the cambelt parts and the labour charge. Tooth belt - tensioner screws - bolts - roller & labour.

However my original service request was for a cambelt and water pump change (not knowing at the time of the different configuration of the engine) and i think this is what the handwritten note said which i signed to agree with the quote.

It is this I need a copy of as they omitted to put if with the computer generate invoice

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The computer printout which I did get a copy of just listed the price of the cambelt parts and the labour charge. Tooth belt - tensioner screws - bolts - roller & labour.

However my original service request was for a cambelt and water pump change (not knowing at the time of the different configuration of the engine) and i think this is what the handwritten note said which i signed to agree with the quote.

It is this I need a copy of as they omitted to put if with the computer generate invoice

You paid the invoice which should add up correctly ....the hand written note is just a rough idea based on previous golfs....& there for wrong info....they have a get out...don't bother trying to chase this....yes there has been a mix up but if you paid the invoice which is 100% what they have done, then no fraud etc has taken place...

Mechanics would have access to official VW manuals so they go by that & what it says...& a book time is suggested for the job...so you will get charged that amount of labour...2.5hrs I recon....

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok thank you but if the VW recommend the water pump be changed then it's an additional cost.

Another franchise quoted me £490 for both the water pump and cambelt - whereas my dealer charged £530 for just the cambelt. I've yet to find out how much the WP replacement service is - but it can't be much less than £100.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually agree because I could claim I was misled and wouldn't have signed it if the water pump wasn't included.

It all hinges on the copy of it I'm going to request - I'm pretty sure it did say the WP was included.