GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI 122 cambelt row

Jon2

Ready to race!
For what it is worth, I say that if a quote for work includes the replacement of something like a water pump and the work was carried out without that part being replaced, and the cost difference hasn't been taken into account, then I would be pretty pissed off too. These modern engines are designed to fail. The cam belt is a loaded gun against the head of the owner.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I've had a cambelt fail - but many many years ago - in a Citroen AX and although the engine was repairable - it was very expensive.

Another issue is that usually they change the water pump at the same time. I wrote to Honest John and they're wondering what would happen if the Water pump seized and jammed the camshaft - would that then affect the timing belt.

I still feel that VW should issue some clear service directives as the early MK7's are now reaching 5 years old. In another cambelt thread one contributor said that initially his MyVW service account said that his cambelt should be changed - and then this advice mysteriously disappeared.

I think VW may have initially said that it should last a lifetime and so didn't put it in their own service computer - hence the confusion at my franchise - but have now changed their minds - hence the advice from VW UK - although this doesn't explain why service advice disappeared from the contributors VW account I mentioned as it said service and then no service the opposite of VW UK's advice.

I dread to think how much the WP is going to cost if my franchise says it's now a separate item as it runs off a different belt.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
VW UK quote £449 for cambelt, £499 inc waterpump.

While here we all want to know everything about our cars, a customer should not expect to know the ins and outs of fixing stuff. That is what we pay dealers & garages for. Your car goes wrong, the dealer quotes you for the repair, if you agree, they fix your car, you pay the bill = everyone's happy. Seems to me the dealer owes the OP a water new pump and the fitting of....

Jon2

Ready to race!
Seems you were overcharged somewhat.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/...id_aud-384726207817:kwd-311111891911_&tc=sem-_[Range]_[All]_[None]_[Exact]_[EN]_[Eval]_[Servicing]_[Core]-UK-google-Core_[Exact]-e-vw%20service%20cost&kw=vw%20service%20cost&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9_LRBRDZARIsAAcLXjfp-UZZ6DBubpJA0vJQMDN1TvMq1wVpouKWRNl4v4U-5Xb4P_VxKTMaAqJmEALw_wcB&mkwid=sJtkDfzK7_201233201658_vw%20service%20cost_e_c&mtid=vdvv2y1xd0&slid=DEpVJqKc&product_id=

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Another issue is that usually they change the water pump at the same time. I wrote to Honest John and they're wondering what would happen if the Water pump seized and jammed the camshaft - would that then affect the timing belt.

II dread to think how much the WP is going to cost if my franchise says it's now a separate item as it runs off a different belt.

YOU LISTENING TO ANYTHING I SAY???....

Your engine like ALL 1.4lt in the MK7 Golf has the water pump on the opposite end of the engine from the timing belt....

VW did this because it reduces the loads & failures on the main timing belt....

Main timing belt only has camshafts & crankshaft.

IF the water pump seizes (main cause used to be impellor separating off spindle) then it will shred the belt between the exhaust camshaft & the water pump....that's why it's on its own...

When the water pump was on the main timing belt then it would shred the main belt which is why you changed the water pump with the belts..or every second belt swap...

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
YOU LISTENING TO ANYTHING I SAY???....

Your engine like ALL 1.4lt in the MK7 Golf has the water pump on the opposite end of the engine from the timing belt....

VW did this because it reduces the loads & failures on the main timing belt....

Main timing belt only has camshafts & crankshaft.

IF the water pump seizes (main cause used to be impellor separating off spindle) then it will shred the belt between the exhaust camshaft & the water pump....that's why it's on its own...

When the water pump was on the main timing belt then it would shred the main belt which is why you changed the water pump with the belts..or every second belt swap...
Good idea that ^^, not really looked into it, or looked at it, but maybe VW do know what they are doing....

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi it certainly looks that way. I wonder though if these prices haven't been updated to take into account the new MK7 - remembering that the first lot have just reached 5 years old and have reached their cambelt replacement time

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi it certainly looks that way. I wonder though if these prices haven't been updated to take into account the new MK7 - remembering that the first lot have just reached 5 years old and have reached their cambelt replacement time

Cambelt replacement NEVER included waterpump in the price or schedule...

Cambelt replacement has always been just that plus tensioner, tensioner bolt & maybe an idler pulley.

If you wanted the water pump replaced it was always a separate service item & you had to tell them..."I want the water pump done at the same time"...

Pricing is correct on computer as its based on official service schedule...

So what was the labour time units & charge & what was the items cost?

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi I stipulated both the cambelt and waterpump on my service request as - on the older models where the pump was driven off the cambelt - it was recommended to change both at the same time. I have a copy of the email confirmation.

Labour - 3.5 hours unit price 93.23 = £326.31
Parts £160.45

before VAT

Parts

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi I stipulated both the cambelt and waterpump on my service request as - on the older models where the pump was driven off the cambelt - it was recommended to change both at the same time. I have a copy of the email confirmation.

Labour - 3.5 hours unit price 93.23 = £326.31
Parts £160.45

before VAT

Parts

Sounds about right for timing belt...

Basically you asked for something the computer could not price as not service items...& they just did a manual rough guess based on MK6...

Your main timing belt:-

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2014-746/1/109-109053/

The new water pump which is actually a complete unit of pump & thermostat housing...expensive if you want to replace that...which is why its on its own & therefor no need to replace unless it fails..

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2014-746/1/121-121002/

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm yet the 2018 VW UK pricing guide says £499 for both the cambelt and the water pump.

I think they must have based this pricing on previous Golfs where the water pump ran off the cambelt so they recomended it to be changed at the same time as the belt.

However this of course means that the cost of replacing both the cambelt and the water pump in the MK7 will be far higher.

I'd better hope that the water pump in the MK7 is very robust. Thank you for your help

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hmm yet the 2018 VW UK pricing guide says £499 for both the cambelt and the water pump.

I think they must have based this pricing on previous Golfs where the water pump ran off the cambelt so they recomended it to be changed at the same time as the belt.

However this of course means that the cost of replacing both the cambelt and the water pump in the MK7 will be far higher.

I'd better hope that the water pump in the MK7 is very robust. Thank you for your help

I see that page, but I recon there's a load of "exclusions" which are not listed.

Best bet is to put your car reg in & see if it still wants to book you in for £499 for water pump & cambelt...if it does take screen shot & say to VW HQ you say £499 & accepted my car reg number...I paid £530 & just got the cambelt...

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
The VW UK prices £449 for cambelt, £499 inc waterpump show a bit of an increase on mid-year figures. I checked for a pal and prices then were cambelt £434, £485 with waterpump....

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so as my Franchise charge 520 (not 530 as I stated earlier) just for the cambelt then I have been overcharged.

VW UK have just contacted me so I'm explaining the issues - they think there's so incorrect maintenance schedule data in the system the franchises use.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ok so as my Franchise charge 520 (not 530 as I stated earlier) just for the cambelt then I have been overcharged.

VW UK have just contacted me so I'm explaining the issues - they think there's so incorrect maintenance schedule data in the system the franchises use.

What does the VW page say when you book your car reg in??..does it still say £499 as per their fixed price servicing?

This is the nub of the problem, not if the water pump requires changing as per older VWs as the design is totally different...