GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 Rigid Collar / TyrolSport Deadset Subframe Alignment Kit

Navi

Autocross Champion
Wrong.

From the product description, which I didn't need to look up but I did it for you...

"034Motorsport's MQB Front Subframe Locking Collar Kit eliminates subframe shifting and precisely locates the front subframe on Volkswagen MkVII Golf/GTI/R models."

"Precisely locates", that's centering the subframe.
Hahhaha

get it together.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Which kit did you get?

Tyrol Sport Dead Set kit. Front and recently rear but rear not installed.
I delayed on the front kit being worried about alignment but from anyone who has installed and my experience, I have never heard of and issue being able to align after install. Normally it helps.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
the VWR worries me because it says fits both Audi(aluminium Frame) and MK7(steel frame). They are different and people have had issues.

EDIT: VWR confirms it fits mk7. I pulled the trigger from urotuning. Says it shipped already since it was in stock.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
the VWR worries me because it says fits both Audi(aluminium Frame) and MK7(steel frame). They are different and people have had issues.

EDIT: VWR confirms it fits mk7. I pulled the trigger from urotuning. Says it shipped already since it was in stock.

Keep in mind it doesn't come with bolts and you'll want to use all new ones.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
tyrol kit is well worth the extra money in my opinion because it uses far stronger ARP bolts, and the billet aluminum brackets are massively stronger than the stock ones. if i was doing the rear only though i would not pay up for the tyrol kit. for the front I think the extra strength of the tyrol kit is money well spent if you're picky about your car like I am

you will need an alignment afterward. I did the super pro bushings at the same time as the tyrol kit on the front, but the steering improvement and braking feel and overall feeling of strength of the car are massively improved. and squeeking of chassis over bumps also reduced a good bit.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
So yesterday I got an email from 034 saying my order has shipped. I emailed their web order support asking if they miraculously found another set. No response yet.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I am going with the Racingline complete kit for front and back. Should stabilize everything for the suspension and front end refresh.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Here is a video from Spoon Sports which explains the purpose of the rigid collars.

I got these for my MKV R from Spoon Sports Europe years ago, many companies later dropped their version.

The way I think of how they work is like a Lego, the fitment is direct/tight. Collars allow an improved subframe mounting solution which increases chassis stiffness that you can feel through the wheel.

The VW subframe changes for the MK7 reduced the previous generation movement issues although the bracing and ease of centering makes for what I think is still a worthwhile mod for some

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
Wrong generation for our cars I believe. How would you expect aluminum is different than steel for sub frame material and potential movement.? If there is space to move around the mounting bolts and sufficient force applied movement is not material dependent. Only potential for deformation vs flex or distortion would be different based on material, and of course design of the structure in question. I think I am okay with the sub frame alignment and "locking" kit based on the Spoon video information and the power my car is making now.

JT

Last edited:

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
The idea that the steel subframe would have any tighter engineering tolerances or that they wouldn’t shift as easily doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. If anything, I’d expect the aluminum to deform more easily when compressed by the bolts (no idea what the compressive strength of the aluminum used vs. steel, so who knows).

Very curious to hear more on the logic behind this or see some data.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
The idea that the steel subframe would have any tighter engineering tolerances or that they wouldn’t shift as easily doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. If anything, I’d expect the aluminum to deform more easily when compressed by the bolts (no idea what the compressive strength of the aluminum used vs. steel, so who knows).

Very curious to hear more on the logic behind this or see some data.
Yes I would agree, from the work I have done with aluminum vs steel structures and assemblies the natural damping of steel is better and less likely to permanently deform from strain. As for anchoring I would expect the aluminum could not handle the same clamping forces without being impacted.