GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. R

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

Yeah, I'd at least wait until you're above water in the new used one before you start modifying.
  2. R

Mk8 GTI passenger impressions

It's not differentiated enough from the MK7 to interest me.
  3. R

Oil temp at 232 degrees. is that a little high.

I've seen 230-235 on the hottest days here in PHX in rush hour traffic. I wouldn't worry until you see 270-280.
  4. R

Buy now or wait for Mk8? Sarah reviews the 2020 GTI S

Remains to be seen. I don't think the MK8 is going to be any better mechanically than the MK7.5. Now, you'll probably get the digital gauge cluster and some other interior upgrades, but it's up to you how much of a difference that actually makes.
  5. R

Buying used 2016 Golf R with possible mechanical issue

These things aren't rare enough to take a chance on a flyer like this. Keep looking.
  6. R

To R, or not to R.... that is the question....

Most if not all states don't require a test until the car is 4-6 years of age, depending on the state, which is why I'm wondering why a two year old car was emissions tested.
  7. R

To R, or not to R.... that is the question....

Why would you emissions test a two year old car with 2800 miles on it?
  8. R

Buy used 2017 GTI Sport with only 7K miles?

I would clarify what happened to the car and how it was repaired.
  9. R

Nightmare dealership experience documented at TTAC - 2019 Sportwagen

That's the local Toyota dealership where I bought my other car, a 4Runner. My wife took it in for warranty work on the door locks and they advised her she needed new brakes and an alignment all for the bargain price of $900. I knew something was up as the brakes seemed fine as well as the...
  10. R

Nightmare dealership experience documented at TTAC - 2019 Sportwagen

Sounds like my experience with Ford with my last car. Own enough cars and you'll run into it. Luckily, it seems like it was mostly the dealer's fault and not VW's.
  11. R

2017 Golf R - Warranty & Mods Questions

The point is, if I wanted to go street racing or otherwise make stupid power, I'd have gone and bought a better platform to do it with. At some point, modifying a FWD car becomes a game of diminishing gains. Let's be honest, at the end of the day, these cars are tarted up econoboxes. There's no...
  12. R

2017 Golf R - Warranty & Mods Questions

I agree on all counts. My car is a commuter. I've never once said, "Gee, you know what would make rush hour traffic better? Another 80 hp!". Mods are a terrific waste of money and at this point, I have no desire to void my powertrain warranty. If I wanted a "beast", I wouldn't have bought a GTI...
  13. R

Can you tell if the turbo has been swapped from these pictures?

You'd be in the minority. I wouldn't want anything to do with a used, modified turbocharged car, let alone one that supposedly has a lot of warranty left on it. People do all sorts of dumb shit to cars, why take that risk? OP, just judging by the picture of the engine bay with that janky...
  14. R

Battery Dead - 19000 miles

I don't think you need the coding as long as it's the same size battery. Warm climates are hard on batteries. I live in Arizona and mine didn't even make it to the two year mark. I replaced it with one from Vatozone with a three year warranty for $150.
  15. R

Engine Issues - Advice

$14k is probably for a brand new long block, which you don't need. You should be able to get a rebuilt/used motor for a lot less than that.
  16. R

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

And they'll charge more for it too, because their profit margin is going to be the same. Do you want to pay more for an overbuilt car or one that's price competitive with its competition?
  17. R

Right? While we're at it, VW should build the motor much stronger in these cars too, because I want to make 600 hp.
  18. R

I didn't? The impression I'm getting is that this problem largely only happens to cars with upgraded aftermarket clutches, in which case you're going to get laughed out of court when you try to claim this is somehow VW's fault. Pay to play. If you're going to upgrade your car to make more...
  19. R

You guys are going to have an uphill battle considering it's aftermarket parts causing the problem.