GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In process: Alibaba GTI build

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
And it’s on “clearance”.

Honestly, looking back on this whole experience I got freaking lucky. When the engine went, I was at a loss what the next best move was. Talked to several engine builders and shopped around for used engines. I’m glad I didn’t just pull the trigger on a used engine and drop a cool ~8-9k total with parts to get said used engine built by an engine builder/machine shop.

I can’t remember how exactly I stumbled upon the AliExpress advert that prompted me to see the damn engine for sale. I guess Google Ads actually paid off here for once 😂.

Anyhow, I’m glad it worked out, and that y’all have an option for a ?reliable? engine replacement at a reasonable cost.

I’m still planning on shipping my forged engine parts to China to have them build me an engine ~

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
too bad there's no wealthy individuals on here who could buy the Zhong built engine so we could experiment with it.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Kinda toying with the idea of buying one to tear down and build up with all the goodies a crazy high hp seeker would want. This is the same method I used to teach myself the Toyota 2JZ engine. I bought another motor, tore it all down, then using a service manual thicker than any dictionary I have ever seen, I built it back up with lots of goodies. To me this makes sense as I plan to keep my GTi and I want a built motor. Might be a bad idea because JZ engines are easy to understand, I have no idea about the EA888 though. Cheaper than paying someone plus I get bragging rights that I built it lol. If the built motor grenades, I can swap the original motor back in while I try again with the built motor.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
anyone with money to burn is going to have a reputable builder in the US do the work
Let me rephrase: rich dude who loves to gamble

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Oil change after 3k ish miles

Engine has ~4k miles now. Still running strong . No mechanical issues yet while on the E85 hybrid turbo setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 143

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Oil looks good, but the underside of the car is nasty. What is up with that?

That oil leak at the lower oil pan I was fighting earlier. Haven’t cleaned it up well yet so it looks nasty nasty

It still very very slowly seeps oil at one of the bolts despite tightening it up, although much slower than before. Honestly haven’t had time to really dig into it but my guess is a stripped bolt or a shitty gasket. Stripped bolt or hole because that bolt doesn’t tighten up quite as well like the others ~

golfRdaddy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17R / 16R
I almost have my motor out. With the weather, I haven't spent much time on it. Still haven't been able to get my front wheels off.. I lost the lug key. Just need to disconnect the rear axle now and then it should come out.
Can anyone help me find the right lug key?

Another question I have is .. I was reading someone bought a built motor for their R but it was originally in a GTI. He had issues with the swap because of a port that was open on the head or block. If anyone has any info on that please share.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 57
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg
    181 KB · Views: 56

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
I almost have my motor out. With the weather, I haven't spent much time on it. Still haven't been able to get my front wheels off.. I lost the lug key. Just need to disconnect the rear axle now and then it should come out.
Can anyone help me find the right lug key?

Another question I have is .. I was reading someone bought a built motor for their R but it was originally in a GTI. He had issues with the swap because of a port that was open on the head or block. If anyone has any info on that please share.
Do you still have your clamshell case that the key and lugs came in. Key number will be inside that case...

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
That oil leak at the lower oil pan I was fighting earlier. Haven’t cleaned it up well yet so it looks nasty nasty

It still very very slowly seeps oil at one of the bolts despite tightening it up, although much slower than before. Honestly haven’t had time to really dig into it but my guess is a stripped bolt or a shitty gasket. Stripped bolt or hole because that bolt doesn’t tighten up quite as well like the others ~
My old a3 had this issue when it was new as well. Ended up having to tap the hole and replace the bolt.