GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 Street Density Dogbone pucks larger than OE

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
I picked up 034 dogbone pucks in the hopes taking some slop out of shifting without introducing much NVH. Lo and behold, they are about 1.5mm larger than OE. The Revo installation tool started bending, even though I'd carefully prepped the subframe and even increased the chamfer on the new puck to try to get it started. (The OE puck came out without drama.)

I contacted 034 about this and they said that's the way they are:
"I can confirm that our pucks are slightly larger than OEM but will still install and function perfectly. The pucks will compress when installed; be sure to take care to ensure that the pucks are evenly pressed in."

and...

"I am unsure of the exact design reason why our pucks are larger than the OEM units. Since we introduced these pucks years ago now, we have not changed the sizing and they are dimensionally unchanged. We have successfully installed thousands of these units in customer cars. We recommend a shop press or similar to press these bushings in. The bridge" section may protrude a bit when you get to that part, but this can be carefully coaxed into place with a small prybar or flathead."

Anyone encountered difficulty installing due to the pucks being larger? What would be the benefit of oversizing?

Thanks.

Lower dogbone puck original copy.JPG

Lower dogbone puck 034 copy.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I run them, don't recall any commentary from the shop installed them about this?

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
I was in a bind and needed the car the next day, so I shaved them down a bit with a strip disc. Obviously not ideal. But they seem to be OK for the moment.

I had actually put them in the freezer, but then realized the chamfer was on the wrong end for installation beneath the car. By the time I'd handled that, things had warmed up. I ordered the Velt Sport (Urotuning) version for $40 and they are basically identical. Freezing them made them 1mm smaller than room temp. If my hack job doesn't hold up, I'll install the Velt ones, or at least the lower. Otherwise, I'll remove the subframe and install with a press when I replace the clutch.

Seems like a decent upgrade with the little bit of driving I've done. Very slightly more NVH than stock, and clutch takeup is smoother versus the inserts I'd used previously. There's still more movement than I'd prefer, though this is a family car where there isn't much appetite for NVH tradeoffs, and my 1.8T Stage 1 is relatively a pussycat.

Now avoiding 034, because in addition to their CS being snarky and not providing any service, some of their stuff is just white label goods with a mark up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I was in a bind and needed the car the next day, so I shaved them down a bit with a strip disc. Obviously not ideal. But they seem to be OK for the moment.

I had actually put them in the freezer, but then realized the chamfer was on the wrong end for installation beneath the car. By the time I'd handled that, things had warmed up. I ordered the Velt Sport (Urotuning) version for $40 and they are basically identical. Freezing them made them 1mm smaller than room temp. If my hack job doesn't hold up, I'll install the Velt ones, or at least the lower. Otherwise, I'll remove the subframe and install with a press when I replace the clutch.

Seems like a decent upgrade with the little bit of driving I've done. Very slightly more NVH than stock, and clutch takeup is smoother versus the inserts I'd used previously. There's still more movement than I'd prefer, though this is a family car where there isn't much appetite for NVH tradeoffs, and my 1.8T Stage 1 is relatively a pussycat.

Now avoiding 034, because in addition to their CS being snarky and not providing any service, some of their stuff is just white label goods with a mark up.
My shop would have used a press so makes sense. This reminds me of the BFI "RS3" LCA bushings there is a post about here where they were slightly larger than stock and gave a user some drama installing them. I wouldn't call their response in your OP snarky, they just didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Well, that wasn't the whole thread. They didn't seem bothered that a customer had trouble installing their parts. At the very least they could have confirmed the expected size (is it 91mm?) or suggested freezing them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well, that wasn't the whole thread. They didn't seem bothered that a customer had trouble installing their parts. At the very least they could have confirmed the expected size (is it 91mm?) or suggested freezing them.
Ah well you didn't post that part!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I live 20 mins away and was just at their facility for their Winterfest event over the weekend, but I don't do business there for the same reasons @Goodbar. They just never seemed to give a shit in person or in email and I know lots of people who've had failed crap from them, myself included.

They were pretty crappy when I contacted them for a quote on timing chain job for my R32 as well.