GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant silica bag, to remove or not?

penrod

Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 GolfR
I know this is an old thread, but I just now saw it and figured I would add some input from a high mileage MK7 (2015 with 249,000 miles). independent mechanic who works on Euro cars only, had no idea what the bag was. He joked it was a bag of meth:). I mentioned it to the local VW mechanic at the dealer when they did a routine diagnostic check on my car today and they gave me a strange look also. Anyway, it was removed about 5k miles ago/ 4 months ago (don't put the mileage on it like I used to). coolant is dark murky brown with no evidence of oil in the system or water in the oil. I doubt that is due to the bag removal. likely need to do an additional flush or multiple flushes to get all the gunk out of the system due to mileage. coolant reservoir bottle has been 'not clear' for a while now. I plan on replacing that with new also.
Oh, first water pump replaced at about 245K miles! nobody wants to touch my OG timing chain and tensioners. gonna drive it till it dies, but she's still going strong.
22 Golf R is my new daily driver.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I know this is an old thread, but I just now saw it and figured I would add some input from a high mileage MK7 (2015 with 249,000 miles). independent mechanic who works on Euro cars only, had no idea what the bag was. He joked it was a bag of meth:). I mentioned it to the local VW mechanic at the dealer when they did a routine diagnostic check on my car today and they gave me a strange look also. Anyway, it was removed about 5k miles ago/ 4 months ago (don't put the mileage on it like I used to). coolant is dark murky brown with no evidence of oil in the system or water in the oil. I doubt that is due to the bag removal. likely need to do an additional flush or multiple flushes to get all the gunk out of the system due to mileage. coolant reservoir bottle has been 'not clear' for a while now. I plan on replacing that with new also.
Oh, first water pump replaced at about 245K miles! nobody wants to touch my OG timing chain and tensioners. gonna drive it till it dies, but she's still going strong.
If you are filled with the new g13 coolant and didn't remove all the old coolant it changes color, it doesn't cause any problems

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan

Wow that is impressive mileage for VW turbo 4-banger…what are all the things you had to replace along the way?

penrod

Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 GolfR
Wow that is impressive mileage for VW turbo 4-banger…what are all the things you had to replace along the way?
Very little, surprisingly.
I was getting the injectors walnut blasted every 80k or so, regular DSG service as well. I changed my own oil regularly. Only on my second set of plugs and second set of brakes (LOTS of highway miles). I think the 16 months of 1,000 miles per week (100 mile commute each way) helped keep the wear and tear down. When I do drive it, I still drive it in sport mode with agressive shifting, never really babied it. I'm not the most diligent at care care, not one of those that washes/ details it every weekend. I mean, with that kind of durability, reliability and long term use how could I NOT get another VW?