GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant silica bag, to remove or not?

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
As the title says, is this a recommended thing to do?
I've seen a couple of videos and things on Instagram where people have opened there coolant tank and removed the silica bag with some long nosed pliers. Apparently there's no set interval for the coolant to be changed so the bag is there to improve longevity of the coolant. But people have said that after a couple of years the coolant bag has split and it wrecks the cooler matrix which apparently costs £1000 to fix and involves removing the whole dash.

So I'm in two minds really, I knew nothing about it other than this little online bit that I've been seeing lately. So surely if the bag fails, VW must have some responsibility to fix it. However you know how dealers are with wangling out of repairs.
So.. bag, to remove or not to remove?

Here's a photo I nabbed from someone's insta[emoji6] :

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Good question, if it's easy to get out, might as well. I'm gonna have to look into that now.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I have wondered about this myself .......following

I would save bag in case any coolant related issue, because paranoia

Last edited:

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
The way these cars are losing coolant I would say topping them off every now and then will keep the coolant fresh, so little bag of silicon is useless.

xxxxxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Car
I removed mine. Just siphon out the tank, disconnect the hoses and take the tank out of the car. Then if it splits while you’re taking it out (it’s tight) you can just flush the tank and no chance of it entering the coolant.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
The heater core on mk7 isn’t hard at all to replace, 20 minutes max.

Last edited:

sar316

Passed Driver's Ed
The coolant has silicate additives to prevent corrosion and the bag is there to replenish them. Personally I'd trust the engineers on this one and leave it alone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Although I KNOW the engineers are smarter than I am, sometimes they make things more complicated than they should be. Germans do have a reputation for over engineering things