GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Is it really fucking fast?
It's definitely noticeably quite fast. Though I have been in faster small cars in my life, especially pretty recently..
It's as powerful as I was willing to go just for a budget boredom project and especially to prolong lifespan of a daily driver I'd like to keep for at least a few more years / 30k miles.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's definitely noticeably quite fast. Though I have been in faster small cars in my life, especially pretty recently..
It's as powerful as I was willing to go just for a budget boredom project and especially to prolong lifespan of a daily driver I'd like to keep for at least a few more years / 30k miles.
I don't even know you, but I am so happy for you man. (y) (y)

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Yeah this is the 4th time since last March my trans has been dropped...felt the same as you before and paid a dealer tech to do it the first 2 - times lol.

But in the end I just feel better knowing exactly and personally how each step of the project was performed.

I'm usually the exact same way. I try and do everything on my car that I can. I only like to take my car to a shop for inspections, body work, or tires being mounted. However, even though this is my eighth VW, it's my first clutch replacement. The shop I took it to specializes in VW/Audi and has all 5/5 reviews online (not even one 4/5). I've seen the shop recommended by people on Facebook, Vortex, and here, so I figured for only $600 plus tax, I'd give it a shot. It did end up taking a little longer than expected due to my LSD. He said it's the first clutch he's done on a GTI with the LSD and he didn't have a tool he needed so it took an extra day. He didn't charge me any extra or anything though. I'm about 70 miles in and can finally feel the clutch getting a little softer.

Maybe next time I'll try it myself. 😁

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
That's the rate for clutches - I paid for mine as well. I don't have a garage and a driveway clutch install... not right.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It did end up taking a little longer than expected due to my LSD. He said it's the first clutch he's done on a GTI with the LSD and he didn't have a tool he needed so it took an extra day. He didn't charge me any extra or anything though.
Yeah was probably this, lol.

The 6mm Allen bolt that holds that Axle cup to the diff is super super deep in a narrow hole that regular extensions Cannot fit inside, the last time I did it I had to use 6mm bit driver on a 1/8th 6” extension connected to a 1/4” 12” extension, connected to the 1/2” extension 😂😂. And since the 1/8th is so small it behaved as a TQ stick so it was still a Bi*** to get free. This specific CTA 1/2” 14” bit made light work of it for sure.

569C129C-54D0-40F1-9FB4-951EB59C1304.jpeg

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn

The 6mm Allen bolt that holds that Axle cup to the diff is super super deep in a narrow hole that regular extensions Cannot fit inside, the last time I did it I had to use 6mm bit driver on a 1/8th 6” extension connected to a 1/4” 12” extension, connected to the 1/2” extension 😂😂. And since the 1/8th is so small it behaved as a TQ stick so it was still a Bi*** to get free. This specific CTA 1/2” 14” bit made light work of it for sure.

Yep that was it. He said instead he dropped the subframe and then dropped the transmission with the LSD still attached.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I ordered a set of Continental DWS-06+ tires...now the waiting game begins.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

View attachment 210891

I thought dropping the subframe was the preferred method? I'm not going to unbolt the bevel box and instead am going to just drop the subframe. Doesn't look like it would be much (if any) harder and you get a lot more room that way too.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I thought dropping the subframe was the preferred method? I'm not going to unbolt the bevel box and instead am going to just drop the subframe. Doesn't look like it would be much (if any) harder and you get a lot more room that way too.

I think it just gives you the room where you don’t have to turn the trans 90 degrees towards the sky where the diff housing has to get above the subframe. Still a shitty amount of room between the frame rail and the engine though.

Plus dropping the frame you need to get the alignment re-done unless you have the guide tool the dealers use.

I will say this thing without the vaq attached was already a bear to handle already without the extra weight and length of the vaq connected.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm good, thanks. That wheel hub not so much. I can't thread any bolts in 2 of the holes :/

I was driving about 70mph on the highway when I started getting vibrations. I thought at first that it was bad/scraped pavement, but then it got worse to where the car was shaking. I thought maybe I had a flat, but the TPMS didn't go off (which incidentally is kind of weird as I would have thought that vibration would have tripped the sensor...). So I pulled over just as the 4th bolt fell off (found within 5 feet of car) and the wheel mashed into the brake caliper as I stopped. Pretty shitty luck but also spectacularly lucky at the same time.

I normally do the wheels myself when I swap winter/summer wheels, but had some work done recently and the shop that put the wheels on will be hearing it from me on Monday. This crap always happens at the front end of a weekend... :sigh: I guess I should be thankful it isn't long weekend.

Stupid question - how dumb/dangerous would it be to drive around with only 3 bolts on a wheel (all on one side)?
I always retorque after someone works on my wheels.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I think it just gives you the room where you don’t have to turn the trans 90 degrees towards the sky where the diff housing has to get above the subframe. Still a shitty amount of room between the frame rail and the engine though.

Plus dropping the frame you need to get the alignment re-done unless you have the guide tool the dealers use.

I will say this thing without the vaq attached was already a bear to handle and without the extra weight and length of the vaq connected.

Well, I guess I'll find out in the next few months lol. From what I've seen though, most people on the wagon group are just dropping the transmission straight out with the bevel box attached. I'm going to get the deadset kit as well and will install coilovers at the same time so an alignment will be done either way.

I have a transmission jack so I'm hoping it will be somewhat doable with everything attached.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Did my first bi yearly oil change. Shout out to LiquiMoly/ECSTuning for including this free bottle cap opener with my order. I was like, what the hell is that (they had it taped around the oil handle), and was like, oh damn sweet!

Using the schwaben fluid extractor, I had it done in around 20 minutes or less. I swear, I could wear a suit and do an oil change with that thing. It's too easy.
Got that with my last order, too. Biggest key chain dangling thing I've ever seen.