GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb AP dynos/pro tune thread?

afman916

Ready to race!
you will most likely want a bigger turbo soon anyways. :D

The number of times I waver on this is mind-boggling. I just always run across someone who's recently done even an IS38 swap that says "some of the low-end punch is gone but it more than makes up for it on the top end!".

Trouble is, I'm the opposite. Give me more low-end haha. Get me to 80,90,100 literally as fast as possible but then I'm good. Give me a mountain road over a highway run any day of the week. I know I've got the wrong drivetrain for busting through switchbacks but you can't check every box...

afman916

Ready to race!
There's too many variables to give you estimates of power stage 1 VS a dyno tune. What mods, turbo etc. All I can say is that it was certainly worth it to me.

For the sake of the conversation - IS20 on good pump 93 w/ DP, intercooler, TIP, K&N drop-in. Are we talking 5-15 hp/tq difference b/w OTS and protune or 30-40?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
For the sake of the conversation - IS20 on good pump 93 w/ DP, intercooler, TIP, K&N drop-in. Are we talking 5-15 hp/tq difference b/w OTS and protune or 30-40?
That depends on the fuel, if the gas where you live is similar to what EQT has safely dialed in the OTS tune to there is not much left in it. But I could run their 93 OTS tune on Swedish 95 ron(us91) without knock this winter.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I would say +35 for the protune and +55 for E30.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Good to know as I shop around...

So this has got me thinking though, on a $/hp scale - is protuning really "worth" it if judged solely by that metric? Obviously you can't discount the safety factor in having your car tuned to it's specs and parameters, and I'm in no way discrediting protuning as I wholly intend to go this route but, as a thought experiment...

You can catch an OTS tune on sale from EQT right now for, what, $75? I think that's what I read on the thread. A full-on dyno custom tune would be EQT's base price of $500 plus the dyno time, so let's say 4 hours at $125 (split the middle b/w $100 and $150). So $1,000 vs $75, right?

What's the gain there in terms of hp and tq? I honestly have no idea. I'm just a numbers guy and enjoy breaking things down like this. This also doesn't value your time spent going back and forth if doing the etune. So there are other variables at play, but I'm just having fun looking at it from the pure "cash outlaid" standpoint.

I'm still going to shell out the cash just because this is the first car I've ever modded and I really enjoy the process, and I've never "tuned" a car beyond JB4. So I'm looking forward to my badge of honor from getting strapped to the dyno for the first time and getting tuned.
Getting caught up in the #'s game is really moot @afman916. If can obtain 50-55whp is that worth $1000? If you already have an AP and could do that for just 25% of the cost would it be worth it?
Since this is your first vehicle you are considering tuning - as JB4 is really an OTS, then get custom tuned (Dyno or Street / your choice).
Just do some research with the various Tuners that are available and go ahead and take a look at the HP/TQ claims; to include what power mods are included with each (if any). Those numbers are "guidelines", not absolution.
Also, understand that each tuner's #'s are specific to:
The platform they use (Dyno), the environment, technical savvy, installed parts, and most importantly the health of the entire vehicle.
The benefits of a "street tune / pro-tune" are:
Feedback, Preference (do you want more throttle response down low, less torque down low, even how you prefer the vehicle to behave in the manner you share with the tuner. Yes, this takes a bit more time based on logs as you are walked in - but it can become a tune that suits more of how you drive, rather than a simple mash of the pedal feeling.
If you are aiming for Stage 1 on Pump - you'll just want a high flow drop-in filter (at a minimum).
When opting for an E30 file, you can always not opt for the highest possible power figure - you can just use that as the Ultimate Knock Control (or cooling factor). It will make a difference when IAT gets beyond optimum. If you can hold the positive timing for longer, even when the IAT gets warmer - you will only be that much stronger and safer for it. It is the "Road Less Travelled"

I didn't look back to see if you are M/T or DSG and I would recommend an upgrade for the clutch or opting for the DSG Flash. That is a something to consider if you want reliable delivery & prolonged use.
You will also obtain addt'l safety and smoothness of power delivery if you opt for +1 Colder Plugs.

No need to race to the finish you hope to achieve, it all is really a marathon.

Renovimus

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Is there any advantage to etune vs live tuning on a dyno? Assuming with etune I just log a couple 3-4 pulls, send in, tweak, rinse and repeat a few times?

Whereas live dyno I reserve time at a local shop, then FaceTime or similar Ed and he makes corrections in real time?

Is there an inherent advantage to one over the other? Other than the benefit of having some dyno charts with the live version?

A comprehensive dyno tune would include tuning part throttle as well as full throttle in multiple gears. Remote tuning, dyno or street, is typically in a single gear at full throttle. The remote dyno saves you from making high speed pulls on the street, but otherwise is providing similar data.

afman916

Ready to race!
Feedback, Preference (do you want more throttle response down low, less torque down low, even how you prefer the vehicle to behave in the manner you share with the tuner. Yes, this takes a bit more time based on logs as you are walked in - but it can become a tune that suits more of how you drive, rather than a simple mash of the pedal feeling.

A comprehensive dyno tune would include tuning part throttle as well as full throttle in multiple gears. Remote tuning, dyno or street, is typically in a single gear at full throttle. The remote dyno saves you from making high speed pulls on the street, but otherwise is providing similar data.

These two quotes pretty much encapsulate why I'm inclined to go with a true blue protune. I'd like for the tune to be specific to my car and my driving style...

So it sounds like an in-person (or "live") dyno tune is about the only way to go about this? Seems like I either grab an OTS and be fine with it, or go all out.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So it sounds like an in-person (or "live") dyno tune is about the only way to go about this? Seems like I either grab an OTS and be fine with it, or go all out.
Don't discount the protune through email....if you can't line up a dyno and don't want to spend the money, through email has been super simple and the result is the same.