GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb AP dynos/pro tune thread?

afman916

Ready to race!
Is there a comprehensive thread with AccessPort dynos/pro tune results somewhere that I'm missing? I think I found one last night but last post was well over a year ago.

Bottom line is I'm trying to get a sense of what the max levels are when sticking to IS20, on both E30 and 93. Thinking of going with EQT for tuning, but am really open to whatever tuner "knows best" with our platform. If there's a local NC tuner (I'm in Raleigh) that I could go to (when safe and allowed), that'd be great too. I'm offloading the JB4 and trying to hit the ceiling with the IS20 for a little bit while I toss around the idea of going IS38 or larger...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Probably about 325 HP on 93 and 350 HP on E 30 with a protune or dyno tune.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Well, this is going to force me to go get dyno'd. I'm Stage 2 protuned from Ed with an IS20 and have been contemplating doing it.....this plus Drew egging me on...might have too.....for posterity's sake.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well, this is going to force me to go get dyno'd. I'm Stage 2 protuned from Ed with an IS20 and have been contemplating doing it.....this plus Drew egging me on...might have too.....for posterity's sake.

Do it.

afman916

Ready to race!
Thanks ya'll. Welcome any additional dynos for posterity's sake too haha.

Assuming there's a noticeable butt dyno difference going from (Stage 2) Map 6 JB4 to protune AP?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Assuming there's a noticeable butt dyno difference going from (Stage 2) Map 6 JB4 to protune AP?

you have no idea. Ed is a master and his first version trumped my Uni stage 2

afman916

Ready to race!
you have no idea. Ed is a master and his first version trumped my Uni stage 2

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm thinking this will be a nice stop gap for the next 6 months or so. Are you running a 93 or E30 file? My plan is to offload JB4, get AP with a 93 protune, run that for a while, then after that starts feeling "normal" pony up for an E30 file. Then when that gets boring...who knows.

Really trying to drag this out though because the low-end punch perfectly suits my driving style. That is, until I get my ass handed to me on my way to work. It's after those encounters where I find myself back on the "Aftermarket Turbo Options" thread...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
93. I don’t have a corn station anywhere me, FML

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sucks to hear man, but also good to know that even a 93 tune is noticeably stronger than what I can achieve with my JB4.

It not only will produce more power but be extremely smooth. I agree Ed is a master tuner.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

I have a FBO/hybrid is38 set up that was pretty much maxed out with JB4 custom map 6 and i had upgraded fueling * meth injection.

i installed my AP last Thursday and flashed a infamously crappy COBB OTS that's for a regular is20 to make sure the car would flash for the protune with no issues... i also ran a log for the hell of it, and I'm already blown away with how much smoother the AP is from idle to 4k VS the jb4.... I'm going to flash my baseline pump gas tune tonight to start the revisions.

https://datazap.me/u/elbigoteaj/cobb-ots-stage-3-93?log=0&data=1-2-3-7-8-12-16-20-21-22-23

afman916

Ready to race!
Is there any advantage to etune vs live tuning on a dyno? Assuming with etune I just log a couple 3-4 pulls, send in, tweak, rinse and repeat a few times?

Whereas live dyno I reserve time at a local shop, then FaceTime or similar Ed and he makes corrections in real time?

Is there an inherent advantage to one over the other? Other than the benefit of having some dyno charts with the live version?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Is there any advantage to etune vs live tuning on a dyno? Assuming with etune I just log a couple 3-4 pulls, send in, tweak, rinse and repeat a few times?

Whereas live dyno I reserve time at a local shop, then FaceTime or similar Ed and he makes corrections in real time?

Is there an inherent advantage to one over the other? Other than the benefit of having some dyno charts with the live version?

remote etuning is Ed will send you a version...you upload and do a 3rd gear WOT pull. log it, send it in. He sends you v2, repeat.

I'm on v4 with probably one more. PM JerseyDrew as I know he did a dyno tune with them. That takes a little more to coordinate, as you pay for every 30 minutes on the dyno.