GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Woody_in_MN

1. Woody_in_MN

Golf 1.8 AT APR Stage 1 Diary

MD, yes. I am aware there is an APR tune for the A5. On the Golf I waited until the basic warranty expired, then did the tune. I may do the same with the A5. I have no regrets going with APR.
  2. Woody_in_MN

Final Entry. So kids. I wanted to do a final entry on this thread, as I will be signing papers on my next car, a 2019 Audi A5 Sportback, probably Monday or Tuesday next week. My Golf TSI with APR stage 1 tune is now at 39,000 miles. I have had zero. Zero issues with the tune. No error messages...
  3. Woody_in_MN

Why "Change Oil" Message at 34,000 miles

Had my 2015 Golf TSI for 4 years almost to the day. A couple of weeks ago I started seeing the Change Oil in 14 Days" message. So far I have had oil changes done by the dealers. Curious as to why I started getting this change oil message at about 33,500 miles. Does it calculate based on time as...
  4. Woody_in_MN

MK7 TSI with 17" Wheels & VWR Sport Springs

Just had Racing Line VWR Sport springs installed on my 2015 TSI . Lowering springs installed yesterday. Only 2 trips on the new springs, but so far, love them. Still has a comfy ride, but tightened up suspension. The drop is so conservative, I think most people wpu;d think this is factory. I...
  5. Woody_in_MN

H&R Sport Springs on Golf

Howdy, So I am thinking about doing lowering springs on my MK7 TSI w/ 17 inch wheels. Are any of you guys running H&R Sport springs on your MK7? If so, how do you like them? My goal is to lower the car about 1.25 inchs, still have a comfortable daily driver, and if possible get a mild bump in...
  6. Woody_in_MN

Recommend Shop in Twin Cities

Looking for a recommendation on a shop for a lowering spring install on my Golf. I lnow, I know, I coulld probably do this myself, but I don't want to. Any shop recommendations for Minneapolis or North Metro atea? Thanks in advance. - W
  7. Woody_in_MN

2018 Mazda 3 Touring HB - Puzzling Road Test

Some background. I drive a 2015 VW Golf TSI 1.8 as my daily driver. About a month ago I had Stage I APR tune done. Another car I have thought about from time to time is the Mazda 3 in a hatchback. With some time on my hands, I saw a big discount ($5,000) on a new, but 2018 model Mazda 3...
  8. Woody_in_MN

MK7 Golf vs MK7 A3

I'm in no rush to trade my Golf, but wondered if any of you have driven the MK7 A3? If so, how do they compare? Thanks, - w
  9. Woody_in_MN

Golf 1.8 TSI Soundaktor?

Does the Golf S 1.8 have the soungaktor like the gti?
  10. Woody_in_MN

As reported in the gen topics section, I got a stage 1 APR tune on Wed this last week. I have had the golf for about 3 1/2 years, and about 31,000 miles. I thought I would start a diary to post my impressions since the tune. Day of Tune 03.27.2019: On the commute home after the tune, I could...
  11. Woody_in_MN

MK7 TSI 1.8 APR Stage 1 - Scheduled

All, After a lot of thought, and some research I have scheduled a APR Stage 1 tuning on my 2015 Golf TSI 1.8 . If anyone feels obligated too talk me out of this - now's the time. For what it's worth, I don't plan on track days, or drag racing. I'm in my 60s and am looking for a bump in power...
  12. Woody_in_MN

Switching from stock 15 inch Wheels to 17 inch - Initial Impressions

So today I made the swap out of stock 15 inch wheels to 17 Drag wheels, and Continental Extreme Contact dws 06s. I did not have a chance to do much spirited driving, and hard cornering, but my impressions so far are: 1) Wheels and tires look great. The Drags in 2 shades of grey look nearly...
  13. Woody_in_MN

Weight of stock 15" wheels?

Does anyone happen to know the weight of the stock 15" golf wheels? Thanks, - w
  14. Woody_in_MN

Help me pick some 17" Wheels

Here are 3 17" wheels I'm looking at. Help me decide. My Golf 5 door is Platinum Grey in color. I am trying to go subtle, not just a gowdy "hey! Look at me!" First is Voxx Como in grey https://www.carid.com/ic/voxx/wheels/voxx-como-gloss-black-machined-face_6.jpg Second is Drag DR67 in grey...
  15. Woody_in_MN

Going from 15" wheels to 17" on Golf

Not sure if this should go in the wheel forum, but has anyone gone from stock 15" to 17" wheels? If so how did it change the ride? Did it slow acceleration? Harsher ride? Talk to me. Thanks, - w