GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf vs MK7 A3

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
I'm in no rush to trade my Golf, but wondered if any of you have driven the MK7 A3? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks,

- w

MadMen

Ready to race!
I think you mean 8v A3. I had one as a loaner for a few days while my S3 was in for service. It was very lackluster compared to my former MK7 GTI or the S3. The GTI definitely had more character and soul - if that makes sense. Not sure about a base Golf though.

That said, once you mod, you can drastically change the character of the car, and I'm sure an A3 can become a great car. But stock vs stock, GTI all the way....

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I have got A3 as a loaner several times when i had my A4. I didn like any of the characteristics of that vehicle (ride, interior, comfort, looks, base engine, snob value).

For some reason it didn feel like an Audi in an aspect. Unless otherwise you really want to get into an Audi, i wouldnt find any reason to get one. Personally, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
I think you mean 8v A3. I had one as a loaner for a few days while my S3 was in for service. It was very lackluster compared to my former MK7 GTI or the S3. The GTI definitely had more character and soul - if that makes sense. Not sure about a base Golf though.

That said, once you mod, you can drastically change the character of the car, and I'm sure an A3 can become a great car. But stock vs stock, GTI all the way....

8 meaning 8th iteration? Anywho, I meant the 2016-2019 A3 sedan. I heard it was also based on the MK7 platform. They come with 1.8 or 2.0 turbo. Fwd or Quattro.

Thanks for your comments.

MadMen

Ready to race!
8 meaning 8th iteration? Anywho, I meant the 2016-2019 A3 sedan. I heard it was also based on the MK7 platform. They come with 1.8 or 2.0 turbo. Fwd or Quattro.

Thanks for your comments.

The MK7 Golf and 8v Audis are based on the MQB platform. :D

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Walked away fairly disappointed with my time in a 2.0 A3. Cabin layout left something to be desired (absolutely hate infotainment screens on top of dashboards), and driving dynamics were notably lacking.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Read up on some reviews. Sure you can get a AWD GTI in a A3 (power/engine wise), But the A3 is a softer version of the GTI. Test drive both and find the one that suites your needs :cool:

MadMen

Ready to race!
How about the S3 verses the GTI? Not intending to thread jack lol

They really are 2 very different cars. Maybe the same platform and driveline, but if you weren't told that, you would never know. S3 should be compared to the Golf R, not the GTI. Then it comes down to which style you prefer.

I traded my 3 month old GTI for a 3 year old S3 and have zero regrets. AWD is a game changer.

I'm a bit older too, so I realized the GTI, as fun as it was, was a bit too juvenile for me. If I were 20 years younger, I would have looked for an R.

For what it's worth, my wife didn't like the GTI at all, but loves the S3.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Totally different vehicles and one costs $18,000 more than the other. What's the point of comparing?

Lol.

Well because there are plenty of S3s available for the price of the GTI. That’s what I’d do. This wasn’t an option back in 2015/16.

Sent by raven from Castle Black

MadMen

Ready to race!
Well because there are plenty of S3s available for the price of the GTI. That’s what I’d do. This wasn’t an option back in 2015/16.

True. I got my '15 S3 for less than I could get an R. Not less than a GTI though.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
True. I got my '15 S3 for less than I could get an R. Not less than a GTI though.

Probably can get a 2017+ S3 (has the better dash, etc) for the price of a new Autobahn.

Last edited:

Subito

Ready to race!
Read up on some reviews. Sure you can get a AWD GTI in a A3 (power/engine wise), But the A3 is a softer version of the GTI. Test drive both and find the one that suites your needs :cool:

Yep, according to Neuspeed, the A3 and Golf 1.8 TSI have the same spring rates, so definitely softer than the GTI.