GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by nosmirk

1. nosmirk

Windshield Replacement: OEM or Aftermarket?

I've posted this before, if the Safelite tech wants to put their sh*t on your hood. Don't let'm. If they insist, take a close look at the hood before the tech leaves or better yet take photos before and after. Tech put his vacuum pump on the hood on my MINI for a crater/crack fill and left...
  2. nosmirk

Pulling Water Pump, replace or reinstall?

mine started to leak at 23k, being replaced under warranty as we speak. I'd say replace it since you have it off.
  3. nosmirk

**Gun Enthusiast Thread**

The first couple rounds to cook off will likely bust the can open, after that this video is a good demonstration of what happens after. NSSF video for firefighers
  4. nosmirk

Is this normal for a stock 7spd DSG?

The gear display can be changed w/ ODB11 (iirc) so that alone isn't a sign it's tuned. guess I remembered wrong. Reset the DSG adapation, it may help with the rough shifting. ACC on (engine off), depress accelerator pedal to kick down position and hold for 20sec. Might hear whirring from the...
  5. nosmirk

Is the GTI considered Rare?

The only GTI/R I'd consider remotely rare is the R that was painted the wrong color from the factory and has documentation from VW. In 50 years, an unmolested GTI like yours might be considered rare and valuable depending on how many survive and their conditions, you'll have to wait til then to...
  6. nosmirk

**Gun Enthusiast Thread**

*Looks at 'nest egg' safe full of k98 (mostly matching), CMP Garand, Enfield and mum'd Arisakas* I feel attacked.
  7. nosmirk

Insurance Rates Shooting Up

I have a legacy Farmer's policy, my rate actually went down $1.68, now paying ~$124/month. I go thru an independent agent so they'll find me the best policy w/ multiple companies. Wawanesa is another good one if you have a good record and they serve your state, USAA if you can get it, Costco...
  8. nosmirk

SOLD! 2019 White GTI ‘Rabbit Edition’ Pristine with $17,714 in Mods and Upgrades. Asking $24,000.

My B18 Acura needed 6 trannys, sunroof and a half shaft. My R56S MINI almost qualified as a lemon, but my coworker got hers a week before and had 0 problems. So far my GTI has been the most problem free vehicle I've had. Other than the recalls and one trip to top off of the coolant @ 150 miles...
  9. nosmirk

SOLD! 2019 White GTI ‘Rabbit Edition’ Pristine with $17,714 in Mods and Upgrades. Asking $24,000.

Unfortunately, the geography where the vast majority of the population lives traps air pollution. The summer sun creates more pollution and heat dome effect just makes it worse. Pain in the ass if you want more power, yes. Clean snot and not needing an asthma inhaler is a bonus the younger...
  10. nosmirk

Have I been wasting $ on premium for years?

We have 89 here as an option, what if I got the APR 87 tune and ran 89. :unsure: Sounds about right, I did a round trip LA -> SD almost all cruise control ~75mph (10E, 710S, 5S, 805S, 8E, 15N, 10W loop) that got me 34mpg. My normal commute only on the 10 and city driving gets me about...
  11. nosmirk

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Didn't show up on Waze til we were within sight of him. I've seen them park on that median so many times, I just slow down automatically as I approach the curve in the road. And this time it was an all white car and not the usual panda, so it was harder to see against the concrete. And...
  12. nosmirk

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Moved over and slowed to let a Model X pass as we approached a spot CHP likes to hide w/ the Lidar out. :sneaky: 🚨
  13. nosmirk

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

I hear road noise on those videos as well and I cranked up the speakers (4.1). I get a humming on specific parts of highway, 50+mph, between expansion joints (resurfaced 3yrs ago). Strangely, the sections changed when I got rid of the OEM tires put new ones on.
  14. nosmirk

In process: Alibaba GTI build

Columbia, i'd carefully open the cardboard box, rip the CDs, re-glue the box and write return to sender. Took them 3 years to cancel me. Meanwhile I was selling custom mix CDs/Tapes to school friends. Got myself a whoopie cushion and some sea monkeys from those Boy's Life ads. :LOL:
  15. nosmirk

Top Tier Gas

Italian tuneup helps remove loose deposits. DI engines are the main cause of the buildup, as I understand it.