GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I guess I'm confused if this is a new issue you're having or you're just now looking into it. If this was a from-the-factory thing, it should have bothered you a while ago.
I had heard it once in a while but assumed it was just road texture. The issue has become much more pronounced lately so I assume my tires have worn to a point that it’s accentuating whatever in the car is resonating, making it worse.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I had heard it once in a while but assumed it was just road texture. The issue has become much more pronounced lately so I assume my tires have worn to a point that it’s accentuating whatever in the car is resonating, making it worse.
Y’all are straight deaf if you can’t hear that hum 😂 Or maybe pop on some headphones.
I hear it, but I don't think it's out of the ordinary. I just replaced my tires after being on the car for 5 years and about 40k. The new ones are exponentially quieter than the ones I replaced (same tire, just the newer version). They all get louder as they wear unless maybe the cushiest of touring tires.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I hear road noise on those videos as well and I cranked up the speakers (4.1). I get a humming on specific parts of highway, 50+mph, between expansion joints (resurfaced 3yrs ago). Strangely, the sections changed when I got rid of the OEM tires put new ones on.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I hear it, but I don't think it's out of the ordinary. I just replaced my tires after being on the car for 5 years and about 40k. The new ones are exponentially quieter than the ones I replaced (same tire, just the newer version). They all get louder as they wear unless maybe the cushiest of touring tires.
That's just not acceptable noise. Maybe in a Honda Fit or a 90s Tercel. But not a car at this price point. I will try some sound damping in the wheel wells (I already added some in the hatch, under the rear seats, and on part of the subframe). There's gotta be something resonating that can be quieted down. After that, all that's left is to try different tires I guess (these aren't even 10k mi old).

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I hear road noise on those videos as well and I cranked up the speakers (4.1). I get a humming on specific parts of highway, 50+mph, between expansion joints (resurfaced 3yrs ago). Strangely, the sections changed when I got rid of the OEM tires put new ones on.
Yeah the expansion joint humming/ringing is not the most abnormal part. But the fact that the same frequency hum occurs on multiple road surfaces at multiple speeds (including below 25mph), is really strange and kinda janky. It's something resonating that the VW engineers didn't bother to address. I can hear it throughout most of that test drive video.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Maybe in a Honda Fit or a 90s Tercel. But not a car at this price point.
Lol it's a souped up Golf for high 20's/low 30k. Idk how many miles you have but in a couple more years it'll be a 10 year old car. Not exactly the pinnacle of luxury.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Lol it's a souped up Golf for high 20's/low 30k. Idk how many miles you have but in a couple more years it'll be a 10 year old car. Not exactly the pinnacle of luxury.
I think it's reasonable to expect a little better than the road noise of cars 2/3 the price (and 500 lbs lighter).

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Well I guess the good news is it isn’t a wheel bearing. I just need to pop a Valium when I drive 😆

Reactions: krs

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The plus of knowing this isn’t a mechanical issue is that it significantly narrows down what I should be looking for.

Today, I noticed the rear wheel well area (specifically the left side) has a metallic ring when you knock on it. That’s also seemingly where I’ve been hearing the hum from, so it’s a possible source of that or other resonance. So I pulled back all the interior trim and carpet around the rear wheel wells and added butyl sound deadening there and thereabouts. I also pulled out the rear wheel well liners on the outside and sprayed some Boom Mat on the back of the liners and the metal panels.

So far after a couple of drives it seems to be an improvement, but I need to drive around a few more days to be sure.

(I deadened the hatch floor and under the rear seats previously.)

One thing I keep coming back to when I’m under the car is that left rear spring though. It definitely rings and hums at the same pitch. If I tap on any part of the left rear suspension, it makes the spring ring and hum. Grabbing the spring stops it. I might get ahold of another OEM spring for comparison if this additional deadening doesn’t do the trick. Or maybe try a set of the 034 spring sleeves (https://www.034motorsport.com/coil-spring-sleeves.html). 🤷‍♂️

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
One thing I keep coming back to when I’m under the car is that left rear spring though. It definitely rings and hums at the same pitch. If I tap on any part of the left rear suspension, it makes the spring ring and hum. Grabbing the spring stops it. I might get ahold of another OEM spring for comparison if this additional deadening doesn’t do the trick. Or maybe try a set of the 034 spring sleeves (https://www.034motorsport.com/coil-spring-sleeves.html). 🤷‍♂️
There are a bunch of part numbers for springs for the various models, so make sure you get a matching set for the rear or figure out which ones, with color dots (I may be thinking of the front on that), that you have exactly.

As an example, this is what my car has on it:
Front: 5QM 411 105 AC (1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Blue)
Rear: 5QM 511 115 AB (Weight Range 4)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
There are a bunch of part numbers for springs for the various models, so make sure you get a matching set for the rear or figure out which ones, with color dots (I may be thinking of the front on that), that you have exactly.

As an example, this is what my car has on it:
Front: 5QM 411 105 AC (1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Blue)
Rear: 5QM 511 115 AB (Weight Range 4)
Did you have any part numbers printed or engraved on your springs? Or did you just go by the dot colors

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I know a guy that has a full set of DSG R springs.

Be cool if we put them on your car.