GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
sounds more like an issue with the pedal or the booster than the fluid, though the noise when you lift off seems normal. sounds a little off when you press it down. maybe spray some silicone lube on the pedal joint?
Worth a shot -- appreciate it!

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Worth a shot -- appreciate it!
Could also be air still in the system if the ABS module wasn't triggered during the bleed, I've heard of this in older VWs as well where you bleed, go trigger ABS a few times, then rebleed. BUT I think that's only a thing if you're bleeding the traditional way, if you were to vacuum bleed I think that prevents it?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I went ahead purchasing the one you recommend from Harbor Freight. It’s kinda heavy no lie lol. The speed setting 2 seems pretty fast. It goes Minimum, 1 then 2 and so on til speed 6. Should 1 work fine or 2 is recommended?
Speed 3 is what I use for most jobs, speed 5 for 5 seconds on heavy scratches. Contraire to common belief, the DA WILL burn through paint as easy as a rotary if you are not careful. The main goal is to move at a constant speed and not over heat the paint. That could lead to delamination in the future.

Polish in small sections at a time, around 2'x2'

Some informational videos, mostly from Yvan LaCroix, who is considered now as one of the Top Detailers in the US. I received my certification on one of the courses he taught at Opti-Coat in 2019. He left Opti-Coat a few years back and created his own company, DIY Detail.
https://youtube.com/shorts/cZQJ0aYb1H8?si=1dapVKUknPMlWqQr

This video is an explanation on ceramic coatings by the CEO of OptiCoat, Dr G. He is one of the first inventors of ceramic coatings and worked with DuPont to create them to protect clear coats.

As in the 3inch. I ended up purchasing an adapter to attach to a power drill for the small areas that are needed.
Go very slow with this. I do my final pass with a Flex rotary, and I set it to where it starts to run, which is a tick before it reaches speed 1 on the dial.

Found a local shop that was about a 30minute drive and got the Graphene Ceramic Coating. They didn’t have the spray. I’ll throw mayb one coat and put a 2nd coat an hour later. If you think it’s necessary. Picked up some sued pads they recommended to use in applying the ceramic coating.

Adams video on Graphene application.

I think they do recommend an hour before applying a second coat. Do take into consideration that all this coatings are in a solvent base carrier. When you apply, the coating sets on the surface as the solvent evaporates. SiO2 and graphene coatings simply lay on top of the paint while most SiC coatings actually bite into the paint and create a permanent bond. If you re-apply graphene too soon, you will remove part of the coat that you already applied, same if you push too hard while applying your second coat. This is why Optimum don't recommend their Hyper Seal until 7 days after the coating applications, because the solvent in the spray will diminish the performance of the coating. While Opti-Seal is a deferent type of ceramic and will not damage the coating, it will just lay on top of it.

I would recommend to ensure you apply a decent coat overlapping the way they show on the video, and not worrying about a second coat. Later down the road order their spray Boost, or Detail Spray. I think either the Detail Spray or Boost would be a great addition to maintain the coating. Detail Spray can be used as a drying aid, but their Boost should be used indoors after washed and dried, as if you were applying the coating.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/ceramics-graphene-master

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I went ahead purchasing the one you recommend from Harbor Freight. It’s kinda heavy no lie lol. The speed setting 2 seems pretty fast. It goes Minimum, 1 then 2 and so on til speed 6. Should 1 work fine or 2 is recommended?

As in the 3inch. I ended up purchasing an adapter to attach to a power drill for the small areas that are needed.

Purchased the Yellow Rupes Foam Pad for the compound (blue bttle) and Finish it with the White Foam Pad (yellow bottle)

Found a local shop that was about a 30minute drive and got the Graphene Ceramic Coating. They didn’t have the spray. I’ll throw mayb one coat and put a 2nd coat an hour later. If you think it’s necessary. Picked up some sued pads they recommended to use in applying the ceramic coating.

I will be starting tomorrow early morning 7am. Will try my best to get it done all in one shot and leave it in the garage for a night and about a day and a half. My Dad uses it for his C8 so I won’t have the garage long. Weather this week has been super cloudy due to the winter storm up north I believe.

I’m excited as fuck to do this job.
I never done this before but have an idea on what to do.

Thanks for all the help.
Will post a picture once it’s all done.

View attachment 297619View attachment 297621View attachment 297622View attachment 297623View attachment 297624View attachment 297625
I use the same Rupes products, Watch the speed on the polisher when using their cutting compound. Can't wait to see your results.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Could also be air still in the system if the ABS module wasn't triggered during the bleed, I've heard of this in older VWs as well where you bleed, go trigger ABS a few times, then rebleed. BUT I think that's only a thing if you're bleeding the traditional way, if you were to vacuum bleed I think that prevents it?
Yeah I'm almost tempted to just have it re-done somewhere that can confirm they're doing it the "right" way. I'd be inclined to try doing it myself but sadly no access to a garage, tools, etc.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yeah I'm almost tempted to just have it re-done somewhere that can confirm they're doing it the "right" way. I'd be inclined to try doing it myself but sadly no access to a garage, tools, etc.
I think with VCDS you can trigger the ABS pump during bleed procedures, but I've never done it. I'll probably DIY it, but I'm thinking vacuum bleeding is the best way to go, since any other method would involve (in theory) pushing air through the system. I dunno though. There are a couple VW performance shops near-ish to me, so it might just go there.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
During rain while driving for long periods without using the brakes.....

I've noticed that over the past 3 days (lots of rain in VA), when I first step on the brake.....it almost doesn't grab at all......takes me pushing hard to finally get the pad to bite. Happened again this morning driving to work in rain. Stopping perfectly normal when dry or in stop/go. Seems to creep up with long distances of not using them.

Is this simply water building up on the rotor and in between rotor/pad?

Last edited:

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Speed 3 is what I use for most jobs, speed 5 for 5 seconds on heavy scratches. Contraire to common belief, the DA WILL burn through paint as easy as a rotary if you are not careful. The main goal is to move at a constant speed and not over heat the paint. That could lead to delamination in the future.

Polish in small sections at a time, around 2'x2'

Some informational videos, mostly from Yvan LaCroix, who is considered now as one of the Top Detailers in the US. I received my certification on one of the courses he taught at Opti-Coat in 2019. He left Opti-Coat a few years back and created his own company, DIY Detail.
https://youtube.com/shorts/cZQJ0aYb1H8?si=1dapVKUknPMlWqQr

This video is an explanation on ceramic coatings by the CEO of OptiCoat, Dr G. He is one of the first inventors of ceramic coatings and worked with DuPont to create them to protect clear coats.

Go very slow with this. I do my final pass with a Flex rotary, and I set it to where it starts to run, which is a tick before it reaches speed 1 on the dial.

Adams video on Graphene application.

I think they do recommend an hour before applying a second coat. Do take into consideration that all this coatings are in a solvent base carrier. When you apply, the coating sets on the surface as the solvent evaporates. SiO2 and graphene coatings simply lay on top of the paint while most SiC coatings actually bite into the paint and create a permanent bond. If you re-apply graphene too soon, you will remove part of the coat that you already applied, same if you push too hard while applying your second coat. This is why Optimum don't recommend their Hyper Seal until 7 days after the coating applications, because the solvent in the spray will diminish the performance of the coating. While Opti-Seal is a deferent type of ceramic and will not damage the coating, it will just lay on top of it.

I would recommend to ensure you apply a decent coat overlapping the way they show on the video, and not worrying about a second coat. Later down the road order their spray Boost, or Detail Spray. I think either the Detail Spray or Boost would be a great addition to maintain the coating. Detail Spray can be used as a drying aid, but their Boost should be used indoors after washed and dried, as if you were applying the coating.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/ceramics-graphene-master
Noted. I started washing the car at 9am. Started claying at 11am. I been taking my time claying and spraying a section then wipe down. Then I’ll repeat this again a 2nd time to make sure I get every single decon to make the body smoother than glass. It just hit 2PM and I just finished doing all the panels with the clay bar. Labor extensive. The hood, roof and hatch were the worse ones.

This is just the front passenger corner.
IMG_4840.jpeg

Rear hatch passenger side. this corner only in the photo
IMG_4843.jpeg

Taking a lunch break now.
Going to watch the videos you recommended as the next step is cutting and then polishing. Hope to get everything done by 10PM.

Been working in a single closed car garage since its been super windy today and the trees, flies and dust get all over the car. Will post updates once I’m done.

Are the polishing safe to use in an enclosed place single car garage? should i wear a mask to b safe or maybe during the ceramic.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I use the same Rupes products, Watch the speed on the polisher when using their cutting compound. Can't wait to see your results.
I will using the low speed to be safe. Will follow up forsure. Going to leave the MK7 in the garage tonight. Won’t take it out til tmrw night so the ceramic has 24 hours to bond.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Noted. I started washing the car at 9am. Started claying at 11am. I been taking my time claying and spraying a section then wipe down. Then I’ll repeat this again a 2nd time to make sure I get every single decon to make the body smoother than glass. It just hit 2PM and I just finished doing all the panels with the clay bar. Labor extensive. The hood, roof and hatch were the worse ones.

This is just the front passenger corner.
View attachment 297649
Rear hatch passenger side. this corner only in the photo
View attachment 297650

Taking a lunch break now.
Going to watch the videos you recommended as the next step is cutting and then polishing. Hope to get everything done by 10PM.

Been working in a single closed car garage since its been super windy today and the trees, flies and dust get all over the car. Will post updates once I’m done.

Are the polishing safe to use in an enclosed place single car garage? should i wear a mask to b safe or maybe during the ceramic.
Wow man that is a lot of contaminants in that clay ! I would say check each panel then check again ! I generally polish outside the garage, but also in the shade. I check correction progress with a portable LED light, then when all looks good, I finish with ultra-polish and a fine pad. Last step wool pad with light spritz of warm water mist a panel at a time. If you see a hazing effect wait a few minutes and with a spare wool pad, lightly buff to remove the haze. The result should be nothing short of stunning.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
During rain while driving for long periods without using the brakes.....

I've noticed that over the past 3 days (lots of rain in VA), when I first step on the brake.....it almost doesn't grab at all......takes me pushing hard to finally get the pad to bite. Happened again this morning driving to work in rain. Stopping perfectly normal when dry or in stop/go. Seems to creep up with long distances of not using them.

Is this simply water building up on the rotor and in between rotor/pad?

More than likely yes.

There is a setting you can enable through VCDS/OBDEleven that helps mitigate this.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...isk-drying-does-it-harm-wear-the-pads.376896/

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
@EpicTech @Maiden69

It’s 7:35PM and I just finished polishing the entire car. My back is on fire and exhausted is an understatement. I did the compound as a two step I guess you call it in the detail in world. I pass one time wiped saw some iffy spots and ran it a 2nd pass. As in polishing I only went one pass. The roof was a pain in the ass holding the machine up. When I started I did a smal 2x2 section and as I got more used to the machine I started doing large areas. It was dark when I started doing polishing. I had to use a large flash light to wipe down the residue. I tried taking some before and after pictures.

Scratch on the hood before.
IMG_4844.jpeg

After (barely visible at all after polish)
IMG_4856.jpeg

After compound and polish
IMG_4857.jpeg

IMG_4858.jpeg

Eating some dinner at the moment. Will remove the left over oils with a spray before I begin the ceramic coating. Car will be left in the garage for 24 hours exactly.

Won’t know the results til I take it out in the sun or under bright gas station lighting.

EDIT: Finished at 12am. Job took about 15 hours. She’s sitting in the garage. All came out good coming from someone who’s never done this before. Will post some pics on What you did to your mk7 forum.

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
EDIT: Finished at 12am. Job took about 15 hours. She’s sitting in the garage. All came out good coming from someone who’s never done this before. Will post some pics on What you did to your mk7 forum.
Good job!
Good work! That looks a lot better! Your back aching is the exact reason I don't use a battery polisher. As much as I hate dealing with the cord, I hate a broken back more, lol.
Well, to be honest this all depends on the technique. When I first started I used to get neck and back pain, once I did the detailers course with Yvan I realized I was the one causing all the pain. Death grip on the machine, tight shoulders while polishing, etc... Yvan not a young dude and he polishes a car in less than 1/2 the time most "professionals" do, with no pain. Once I started to relax and let the machine do the work my pain as 90% gone. I used to grip the tool as if it was going to fly out of my hands, now I barely grip it. I set the speed lock and just glide it where it needs to go.

Also, in comparison, my old electric DeWalt rotary weighs more than the new DeWalt battery rotary with a 5aH battery on. The DeWalt battery rotary weighs almost the same as my Flex PE 14-2.

I didn't see this till now... I'm old, so I rarely use a mask when doing this. This said, the Adams Graphene does smell a little stronger than the other brands I mentioned. There are guys that use a mask, Larry (from AMMO detailing) use a freaking 3M filtered mask like the ones I use for spraying urethane paints, a little overkill in my opinion. Also to note, I use a wash pad between panels, so my polisher really don't create any dust.

Last edited: