GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
the seals don't leak oil into the can, you'll see more smoke out the exhaust from the turbine seal or valve seals, and eventually leaking below from the RMS. as well as the weeping from the timing cover and oil cap.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
There is some data to show that the APR plate puts positive pressure on the crankcase. That's a certain from the way it is designed.

What is more ambiguous is if it is TOO positive. Is it positive enough to damage seals? Under what driving conditions? That's all a little less clear, and also depends a lot on use case. Plate style CCs are probably fine for track cars, but probably not good for cars that spend most of their time idling in traffic. Where is the break even point in the middle? Not clear.

Also there is something to be said for a "failed" OEM experiment ruining a track day, vs a failed plate experiment ruining all your seals. I got tired of getting black flagged at the track with smoke screens, so I got an APR plate, but this isn't my daily anymore.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Exactly! So then why aren't there more people using them instead of wasting money on trying different versions and combos of the OEM stuff?
Mine has certainly solved my my smoking issues. Absolutely none with the APR plate and can, my only issue is that I seem to consume oil with the APR plate and catch can. I cannot confirm that is it a direct cause, but it seems to be hand and hand in my case. So that is one thing I am trying to figure out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
As @DerHase smartly pointed out, where the catch can is actually needed is where the pcv dumps into the combustion chamber. A smarter design could be made with fewer drawbacks…

scrllock

Autocross Champion
My first reason for going back to the OE pcv was just wanting a solution I can drive in the cold without needing to worry about frozen lines or draining the can. Then I started having seal problems on the APR plate. Low mileage motor.
The first BL plate blew out at 31psi. The second or third BL plate still smoked a bit under throttle. 495B plate has been problem-free. Current unknown is how it will behave at 29-30+ psi if I go back to a big turbo. Really hoping the radium solution checks all of the boxes, particularly having normal AOS functionality without needing to rely on an in-line can.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Smoke fest at track day yesterday. Got 2 laps in before I was booted. I guess I was hoping it would self resolve. Lol.

You can see the cloud even after half a lap

1000012389.jpg

I'm going to order another MK8 PCV and try it before going back to the Mk7

Does FCP have them yet?

Last edited:

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Smoke fest at track day yesterday. Got 2 laps in before I was booted. I guess I was hoping it would self resolve. Lol. I'm going to order another MK8 PCV and try it before going back to the Mk7

Does FCP have them yet?
You might have other issues going on and it might be difficult to trace and find out.
In your shoes, I would want to get some leakdown information from rings. Getting some idle crankcase vacuum numbers to compare with what is known and asses if there might be a leak keeping the PCV vacuum from essentially sealing the system, Then a run across the rpm range to gauge when you aproxímate ambient pressure or move past it. What pushes oil up is a crankcase that operates close to or above ambient pressure, it also makes blowby oil less dense. Your starting vacuum would also make you run vacuum over a smaller window within the RPM range, specially at the switch over between vacuum sources. The ability of the PCV to do its job is entirely dependent on properly managing the pressure differentials across it. We only see smoke as the symptom, but it isn't the sickness if you will.