GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is20 - - > is38 upgrade question

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Skip upgrading your turbo if you're going to be limited to all seasons. The power will be worthless
Don't listen to jay745....

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have the s trim so it's the standard diff. I think that's what you meant. Also, I'm trying to find or build a list of all the tools I'll need. It's months away but I fully feel the research. Would you be able to shoot over a link to the oring kit?

If you're still around RI, my quickjacks, hands, and tools (including a 2x4) are always available free of charge. I have all the tools needed for a turbo swap.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
If you're still around RI, my quickjacks, hands, and tools (including a 2x4) are always available free of charge. I have all the tools needed for a turbo swap.
I will absolutely take you up on that when it happens my friend. Thank you

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
How long does a swap usually take btw? It will be my first time doing something this in depth lol. I'm honestly excited, nervous, but ready for the intercooler swap but the turbo seems like another step up. Any recommendations on the odds and ends I need? (example: enough coolant to drain and refill? Or any other things people don't think of?)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
How long does a swap usually take btw? It will be my first time doing something this in depth lol. I'm honestly excited, nervous, but ready for the intercooler swap but the turbo seems like another step up. Any recommendations on the odds and ends I need? (example: enough coolant to drain and refill? Or any other things people don't think of?)

When I put in my Vortex, it was maybe 7 - 9 hours? Doing the swap the second time, putting my IS20 back in, it was 4 - 5 hours or so. That was completely solo without a second set of hands, which would definitely make it go quicker. The hardest part is the oil return line, I followed FCP's guide and left it on the turbo for removal, but took it off the block. That was an absolute bitch to get off.

Coolant & oil. Turbo primer. Turbo install kit. Since you plan on reusing the wastegate actuator, an actuator harness so the wastegate can be adjusted off the car, which is supposed to make it leagues easier. I don't know if that's one of @StorableComa's offerings maybe? Full disclosure, I've never adjusted a wastegate, when I got my Vortex I paid for a precalibrated/preinstalled one.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
When I put in my Vortex, it was maybe 7 - 9 hours? Doing the swap the second time, putting my IS20 back in, it was 4 - 5 hours or so. That was completely solo without a second set of hands, which would definitely make it go quicker. The hardest part is the oil return line, I followed FCP's guide and left it on the turbo for removal, but took it off the block. That was an absolute bitch to get off.

Coolant & oil. Turbo primer. Turbo install kit. Since you plan on reusing the wastegate actuator, an actuator harness so the wastegate can be adjusted off the car, which is supposed to make it leagues easier. I don't know if that's one of @StorableComa's offerings maybe? Full disclosure, I've never adjusted a wastegate, when I got my Vortex I paid for a precalibrated/preinstalled one.
Okay, So I'll buy the recalibrate one so we don't have to deal with that stuff. Everything else makes sense. I'll snag a liquimoly oil kit, a full coolant kit, install kit, etc...

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

The is38+ kit with the waste gate and waste gate tuning, plus the intercooler comes to be like $2,239.06. It looks like it comes with that install kit too
https://eqtuning.com/products/eqt-is38-turbocharger?variant=42660257693947

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Now this entire conversation is dependent solely on the Christmas bonus I'm getting from work. It could be $50 or $2500 (I've heard it's closer to the top end) but I'm either getting both the intercooler and turbo... Or just the intercooler 😂. Fingers crossed.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

https://scskunkwerks.com/products/wastegate-adjustment-harness

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I was debating between IE and do88. However, people have also been saying just go with FMIC for cost savings but yeah itl either be IE or do88 if I go stock mount. I'm trying to figure out whether to go FMIC or stock location
From the description you've given for your use of the car, I think the G-Plus will be fine. I just recently removed that from my GTI (IS38+) and it worked fine (detailed results). I've tried over two dozen different IC setups (including IE and do88) and very few have been noteworthy for performing significantly differently from the norm, with the stock GTI and R ICs being the "poorest" performing. I haven't found the difference between stock location and front mount to be significant enough to worry about with the comparison methods I've used.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
FMIC looks badass. I have the BAUN Performance fmic from @GTI Jake. biggest fmic you can fit without cutting anything major.

@EpicTech you mentioned an EQT is38 running 32 psi?! Obviously he’s custom tuned. I have the OTS IS38 tune and turbo from EQT and I’m right at 29 psi. It embarrasses many V8s in town.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI