GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Gasoline Leak Problem

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Just curious. Do you have the documentation that this is covered up to 15 years & 150,000 miles.

I went to fill up today & it started spitting up fuel. Had to fill very slowly. I'm thinking I have this issue.

I looked up my VIN & despite it being a 2016, didn't show that it was part of the recall.

Also, what kind of questions should I be asking the dealer if they try to say it's something else & should I take to my indie shop first?

I discovered the warranty extension after calling VW Customer Care. Your dealer should be able to see this extra coverage in their system when they pull up your VIN - there's a section within their system for warranty extensions, etc. Keep in mind this is separate from the recall, so you should be covered regardless.

If they're having trouble finding it, instruct them to call their VW warranty/service line and they can assist.

Your symptoms sound exactly like suction pump failure, so hope they can get you sorted!

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well here were are...

20230220_095219.jpg

Was driving in for my appt to check it out. Started sputtering & died on the side of the rode.

Progression was slight sputtering a few weeks ago. It was very minor. Happened during steady state cruising usually. Then it'd go away. Then I filled up & really had to fill up slowly otherwise it would overflow. Then yesterday, had gas leaking from behind the wheel well.

And today, here we are. Had to push it back up this driveway. 🤣

Edit : just had it towed. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I just replaced the suction pump on my R and I'm able to refill my tank now. It is a royal pain in the rear to do because of the confined space within the gas tank and that you're only working by feel. If you're going to attempt it yourself, do yourself a favor and empty as much of the fuel as you can so you don't splash around and have your interior smelling like a gas station.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I just replaced the suction pump on my R and I'm able to refill my tank now. It is a royal pain in the rear to do because of the confined space within the gas tank and that you're only working by feel. If you're going to attempt it yourself, do yourself a favor and empty as much of the fuel as you can so you don't splash around and have your interior smelling like a gas station.
Well according to the posts above, it should be covered. If not, will take it to me Indie & have then replace just the suction pump, instead of replacing the whole fuel tank which is what the dealer will do.

I got it to just into the red on the fuel gauge in anticipation to make their life easier

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Update:

Just got a call from the dealer. It's the suction pump. They're replacing gas tank, charcoal canister etc all under warranty. Didn't even have to ask them about it.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just got it back.
They replaced tank with suction pump, N80 valve, charcoal canister.
Only had to pay $15 for gas because I delivered it below E 🤣

Running great again. Filled up no issues

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
So I'm having this issue with gas leaking out onto the ground on my 2018 GTI. Took it to the dealer and they want to replace the charcoal canister and fuel cap, no mention of the jet pump. And none of it covered by the warranty extension because according to VW Canada the jet pump isn't the issue. There's no way I'm paying to replace the charcoal canister if the root cause is the faulty jet pump and it will just happen again. I think I may replace the jet pump myself, dry out the charcoal canister, and see where I end up.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So I'm having this issue with gas leaking out onto the ground on my 2018 GTI. Took it to the dealer and they want to replace the charcoal canister and fuel cap, no mention of the jet pump. And none of it covered because according to VW Canada the jet pump isn't the issue. There's no way I'm paying to replace the charcoal canister if the root cause is the faulty jet pump and it will just happen again. I think I may replace the jet pump myself, dry out the charcoal canister, and see where I end up.
Get details. How are they so sure it's the charcoal canister and not the fuel pump? If they're making that statement they should be able to explain how they made that determination- don't just take it at face value

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
So I'm having this issue with gas leaking out onto the ground on my 2018 GTI. Took it to the dealer and they want to replace the charcoal canister and fuel cap, no mention of the jet pump. And none of it covered by the warranty extension because according to VW Canada the jet pump isn't the issue. There's no way I'm paying to replace the charcoal canister if the root cause is the faulty jet pump and it will just happen again. I think I may replace the jet pump myself, dry out the charcoal canister, and see where I end up.
I'm told the charcoal canister weights roughly 5 lbs when good and dry. Above 6 lbs I hear it is gas soaked powder, even when no liquid is present.
Check to see its weight and if you hear any liquid inside. The jet pump as uncomfortable to replace as it is, is much cheaper than the canister.
Might be of use to double check the repair manual, I seem to recall the above info from a VW Tech, but it might also be present in the book and if so, would be nice to confirm it as accurate.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They're wrong. Push for suction pump replacement.

Is it leaking where the fuel filler is or under the car?

If former, suction pump.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Had another chat with the dealer and it's totally a mis-diagnostic by the tech. I told them that if you were to replace the charcoal canister, I'll be back here in a couple weeks with the same issue but out the almost $2000 you want to charge me to replace the canister. They're not budging so I'm going at it on my own. I've ordered the suction pump and will attempt the replacement once my fuel tank level gets low enough.

I've found the pdf of the procedure for replacing the pump from the former '15-'16 recall and it doesn't look too bad (as long as I don't break anything lol). But if any of you guys that have replaced the suction pump before have any pointers, please share!

Last edited:

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Get the fuel in the tank as low as possible so you don't splash it around. Take your time. If you have big hands like me, you will get frustrated but just relax and go by feel. I removed the fuel float prior to pulling the whole pump assembly out. It just made it easier for me. Take pictures to remember how you took things off.

My biggest issue honestly was getting the fuel line off and then getting it to stay back on. It was me not being patient and almost yanking the hose off. Don't be like me.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Get the fuel in the tank as low as possible so you don't splash it around. Take your time. If you have big hands like me, you will get frustrated but just relax and go by feel. I removed the fuel float prior to pulling the whole pump assembly out. It just made it easier for me. Take pictures to remember how you took things off.

My biggest issue honestly was getting the fuel line off and then getting it to stay back on. It was me not being patient and almost yanking the hose off. Don't be like me.
Thanks for the tips!

The procedure calls for a special tool to remove the fuel pump but is that really necessary or can it be removed by hand?

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Thanks for the tips!

The procedure calls for a special tool to remove the fuel pump but is that really necessary or can it be removed by hand?
There is no special tool for fuel pump removal.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Just curious. Have a buddy that took this line off and it never really clicked back in. How'd you get it?