GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Blind Spot Assist / Side Assist

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... I thought the 2Q0 cameras had component protection.

What was it you needed to do in ODIS? Just the calibration? And for that you needed to choose a 2020 Tiguan (presumably that's what your camera came from)?

Did you end up using the new heater too or was you trimmed one okay?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
It does have CP, the version of odis with post data i have i guess isnt new enough. There was no option to remove CP anywhere i could find. I thought it would go away when i put the gateway and removed CP for that. But it didnt, but doesnt seem to hamper the operation and hasnt set codes in any of the other modules that have CP

I used the new heater, i removed like a cunt hair from the new heater. i had removed way too much of the old heater. I took like 5 or 6 ribs off. Then i read the drive2 article again and dude removed like 1 rib.

marianowadel

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 TSI
Hey guys, coming here out of desperation. Nice thread you got going on here! I bought the aliexpress kit a while ago and installed everything last week.
After some messing around I got the blind spot thingy to work, the RCTA too, but I still got several u112100 in the cluster, central electrics and gateway. Also I'm seeing an AFS error and obd eleven doesn't list 55 headlight regulation (which I can't remember if it was there or not before). I'm this close to pulling the battery to clear all errors but any other ideas? My car is a 2016 with no ACC or any adas, just 8 sensor PDC. Thanks.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you have VCDS post an auto scan, or I guess whatever the equivalent is in OBD 11. You may find that pulling the battery It's just going to create more faults 🫣 although they will clear. But it won't solve the faults you have now.

It sounds like something has been missed in your coding.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, Just finished installing the Blind spot kit I got from Aliexpress, checked every connection, again and again but Module 3C is not recognized, anyone has any idea what to do?

I Tried everything, checked every wire, It has a proper ground, 12v and gateway is connected, what am I missing?

Was concerned about the modules not having parameters but now I wish they will just work.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Are you certain you don't have the modules swapped, on the wrong sides? The Erwin manual shoes J1086/1087 on different sides in two different places. I don't remember which is actually correct.

But the pinout for each module is different so they won't work swapped. Power/ground and the cross-talk pins are the same. But on J1086 pins 3/4 go to the gateway, while on J1087 pins 3/4 go to the mirror indicators.

You will not likely have damaged anything with them swapped (as power/ground are the same), but J1087 will not talk to the gateway. It is a slave of J1086 and only "talks can bus" on cross talk pins 6/7.

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Are you certain you don't have the modules swapped, on the wrong sides? The Erwin manual shoes J1086/1087 on different sides in two different places. I don't remember which is actually correct.

But the pinout for each module is different so they won't work swapped. Power/ground and the cross-talk pins are the same. But on J1086 pins 3/4 go to the gateway, while on J1087 pins 3/4 go to the mirror indicators.

You will not likely have damaged anything with them swapped (as power/ground are the same), but J1087 will not talk to the gateway. It is a slave of J1086 and only "talks can bus" on cross talk pins 6/7.
Thought about that and swapped them, same thing.

Where should the main loom come from? Driver or passenger side?( LHD )

Mine comes from the driver's side.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
When I put in my BSM modules, I was doing TPMS and parking sensors as well, so ran everything down the LH (driver side in NAR) side of the car; at least one of those, though, has the factory installation running down the RH side of the car - can't remember if it was parking or the BSM.
I did have that same issue, though - Module 3C not getting recognized when I plugged everything in. I even tried a different set of modules (used), but had the same issue. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the resolution was, but it did have to do with wiring because I remember cutting into the harness and using butt-connectors to swap the wires.

Which....now that I'm typing this....I think that it indeed was my running the BSM harness down the driver side that caused the issue.
As @Cuzoe laid out: If you ran the wiring harness down the driver side of the car, then the "near" connector is connected to the slave controller, but due to wiring differences between the two controllers, that "near" (shorter) connector needs to plug into the master controller. (Wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure the even-numbered module (ends in 6) is the master controller and needs to be where even-numbered parts go - RH side of car).

Pro tip: If you do determine that to be the problem, don't just take the big diagonal cutters to the harness between the modules and cut the whole thing - there are a couple of wires that are the same color and sorting out which brown 0.5mm wire is supposed to go to which on the other side you cut...not fun (at least for a novice wiring diagram reader such as myself). Go one wire at a time.

I would've pulled the wiring harness back and run it the correct way up the RH side of the car, but it was already taped and wrapped to the other two wiring harnesses and tied down to the existing wiring along the sills so that looked like it was going to be way more work.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Both BSM and parking should run down the right hand side of the vehicle. I think it was retrofit parking harnesses that are wired to be run down the left hand side even though that's not OEM routing.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I think my best option would be to just buy a new harness and run it the correct way, hope the modules are fine.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I remember, too, ending up with like 8ft of extra harness at the driver footwell because I ran the harness down the wrong side of the car. 🤦‍♂️
exactly what happend to me, the weird thing was that the gateway and power connectors (if ran correctly in the Right side of the car) end up just at the passenger footwell, and the gateway isnt there, that's what made me think the wiring should be on the left side.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I ran them on the right hand side of the car and still felt I had some extra length on everything. I've yet to have to extend a retrofit harness.

I came closest to needing to extend the Kufatec heated seat harness, which coincidentally is also the most expensive harness I've purchased 🤷🏿‍♂️.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Hey, Just finished installing the Blind spot kit I got from Aliexpress, checked every connection, again and again but Module 3C is not recognized, anyone has any idea what to do?

I Tried everything, checked every wire, It has a proper ground, 12v and gateway is connected, what am I missing?

Was concerned about the modules not having parameters but now I wish they will just work.
Are you sure can high and low on the master unit are going to can high and low on the gateway, and the correct can network? Ive had aliexpress harness come with pins in the wrong spot

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Are you sure can high and low on the master unit are going to can high and low on the gateway, and the correct can network? Ive had aliexpress harness come with pins in the wrong spot
Tried flipping those Aswell, I tapped into the TPMS module, saw no reason make more mess in the front of the car If I already have extended gateway in the rear.
Are you sure that If the connecter were flipped then it couldn't cause damage to the radars? I'm Planning on taking the modules out to my bench setup to test them, They might be fried.