GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Blind Spot Assist / Side Assist

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I ran them on the right hand side of the car and still felt I had some extra length on everything. I've yet to have to extend a retrofit harness.

I came closest to needing to extend the Kufatec heated seat harness, which coincidentally is also the most expensive harness I've purchased 🤷🏿‍♂️.
Heh, I used the Kufatec harness when I retrofitted OEM heated seats and I remember also that there was no length to spare! I think I had to reroute it a couple of times to get it to reach the passenger seat. I also had to re-pin the harness wires into the car's original connector at the door sill by the seat. The EU and US connectors are the same through 2016, but the US connector changed for 2017, and Kufatec only sold the older / EU version. Did you run into that problem?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Tried flipping those Aswell, I tapped into the TPMS module, saw no reason make more mess in the front of the car If I already have extended gateway in the rear.
Are you sure that If the connecter were flipped then it couldn't cause damage to the radars? I'm Planning on taking the modules out to my bench setup to test them, They might be fried.
And your TPMS is working properly? I mean, when having an issue like this, maybe there's a reason there's the "right" place to do the wiring connection. I've also had pins from AliX harnesses be wrong.

From what I've heard from a number of techs is that the VW modules are fairly robust - can withstand significant "wrong wiring".
Not unheard of that a person could fry one, but just saying....when I was convinced that my modules were bad, I bought another set and....well, some not-insignificant time spent re-wiring later, they magically "fixed" themselves.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
And your TPMS is working properly? I mean, when having an issue like this, maybe there's a reason there's the "right" place to do the wiring connection. I've also had pins from AliX harnesses be wrong.

From what I've heard from a number of techs is that the VW modules are fairly robust - can withstand significant "wrong wiring".
Not unheard of that a person could fry one, but just saying....when I was convinced that my modules were bad, I bought another set and....well, some not-insignificant time spent re-wiring later, they magically "fixed" themselves.
Yes its working perfectly fine while the 3C module wasn't recognized, I'd have to agree with that, I Tried to be smart and make the job easier. should have just followed the wiring.

I really hope that's the case, Sending the radars back and waiting for new ones will easily take over two months.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Tried flipping those Aswell, I tapped into the TPMS module, saw no reason make more mess in the front of the car If I already have extended gateway in the rear.
Are you sure that If the connecter were flipped then it couldn't cause damage to the radars? I'm Planning on taking the modules out to my bench setup to test them, They might be fried.
Ya it won't mess up the modules. What can network ilare the radar modules supposed to be on? I'm not sure off the top of my head, but if the radars aren't on the correct network they won't be regonized.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ya it won't mess up the modules. What can network ilare the radar modules supposed to be on? I'm not sure off the top of my head, but if the radars aren't on the correct network they won't be regonized.
Even if the can wires were flipped? and modules are flipped?
Extended can, pins 7 and 17, why would that not work? same network, no?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Even if the can wires were flipped? and modules are flipped?
Extended can, pins 7 and 17, why would that not work? same network, no?
I’ve flipped can wires before, didn’t damage anything. Depending what pins the power wire is having the modules flipped could be bad. Say of the master units power was pin 1 and the slaves was pin 2. If you plugged in the slave to the master connector that would damage it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
From what I recall the connectors are the same, assuming that is correct...

I would start out worrying about the connector that goes to J1086 (master, on the right hand side of the vehicle) only.

You need only the following there to get the system show up on the can bus...
Pin 3 - Extended can high
Pin 4 - Extended can low
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 8 - Power

Even if you don't code anything VCDS (and I suspect OBD 11 although I don't know) should see the module on the CAN bus and allow you to select it.

I don't remember which part number should be J1086 but you can try plugging in both because they both receive power/ground on the same pins. And as @xabhax said, swapped can lines won't break anything, you just won't get communication.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
From what I recall the connectors are the same, assuming that is correct...

I would start out worrying about the connector that goes to J1086 (master, on the right hand side of the vehicle) only.

You need only the following there to get the system show up on the can bus...
Pin 3 - Extended can high
Pin 4 - Extended can low
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 8 - Power

Even if you don't code anything VCDS (and I suspect OBD 11 although I don't know) should see the module on the CAN bus and allow you to select it.

I don't remember which part number should be J1086 but you can try plugging in both because they both receive power/ground on the same pins. And as @xabhax said, swapped can lines won't break anything, you just won't get communication.
686 is the master, should be on the passenger side

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve flipped can wires before, didn’t damage anything. Depending what pins the power wire is having the modules flipped could be bad. Say of the master units power was pin 1 and the slaves was pin 2. If you plugged in the slave to the master connector that would damage it.
Well after looking back at all the different wirings I tried, it seems that I accidently connected 12V to one of the can lines that goes to the radars, Pretty sure Ground wasn't connected but that might have done something, and its weird cuz I remember triple checking that everything is in the correct place.

What's even weirder is that TPMS still worked even though power and one of can wires were flipped( I made a piggy back connector setup).

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
UPDATE: got the radars out of the car and connected to my bench setup, They work just fine, guess that teaches us that these modules are pretty idiot proof.

From this screen is there a way to know if its calibrated?(already uploaded missing dataset)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
UPDATE: got the radars out of the car and connected to my bench setup, They work just fine, guess that teaches us that these modules are pretty idiot proof.

From this screen is there a way to know if its calibrated?(already uploaded missing dataset)

I think they calibrate themselves, although there is a procedure to calibrate them. I’ve never had to do it with used units.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Given that they're the "B" suffix, I'd guess they're used and thus already have a dataset loaded (if necessary). When I was shopping a couple of summers ago, the "B" had been superseded by the "C" suffix in the parts catalogue ("B" no longer available).

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, Installed everything and I have one problem.

only module I cannot code is the park assist module, byte 2 bit 6, it says function not available, On xagico's guide he says park assist module needs to be model F or superior, mine Is K.

Any advice on that? whenever I try to enable it via the Infotainment it just says function not available.