GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine swap

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
So been looking around and I'm not finding much.
What are the most common engine swaps done in these golf's? LS? K20? Rs3 2.5L I5 swap? 3.0? Etc...

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Daza and VR6

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
They're not common because the ea888 is a damn good engine. If you want to make power on this platform get yourself a turbo and a tune.

If you insist on swapping the engine the DAZA swap is popular with those who can afford it. $40k was the last average price I heard for that swap?

Some people have done vr6 swaps.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
^ Facts.

The EA888 motor is well engineered and responds well to upgrades. One would only swap to another motor because they can? You wouldn't really gain anything other than the unique sound the swapped motor makes. It is smarter to invest that motor swap money into a turbo upgrade and supporting mods.

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
^ Facts.

The EA888 motor is well engineered and responds well to upgrades. One would only swap to another motor because they can? You wouldn't really gain anything other than the unique sound the swapped motor makes. It is smarter to invest that motor swap money into a turbo upgrade and supporting mods.
So do they make stroker kits for our 2L?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
The 40k quote in the DAZA swap is stock turbo and tune(inclusive of donor car) making roughly 400hp. If you’re looking to go full frame on that, expect another 25-30 because you’ll also need the standalone ECU, built engine, turbo kit, tune etc.

At that point, not sure there’s any way to keep the power to the ground and make the car move.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
They're not common because the ea888 is a damn good engine. If you want to make power on this platform get yourself a turbo and a tune.

If you insist on swapping the engine the DAZA swap is popular with those who can afford it. $40k was the last average price I heard for that swap?

Some people have done vr6 swaps.
As @messrock mentioned, $40K is the bare minimal that you will spend with a DAZA swap. If you want it done right with big power, like 900+ whp, then you are looking at spending $100K, or more, for everything which includes labor.

What are the most common engine swaps done in these golf's? LS? K20? Rs3 2.5L I5 swap? 3.0? Etc...
Not really worth it, in my opinion. You'll be spending a crazy amount of money when you can get big power just from slapping on a big full frame turbo and building the engine with this platform.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
VR6 is the way to go if you want really big power. Blocks are cheap and stronger than the aluminum 2.5. Drops in with minimal fabrication besides a custom bell-housing.
There's at least a couple k-swaps out there, main obstacle there is finding a standalone which already has chassis integration figured out.
It would be pretty silly but I'd like an ea888.4 swap. Block off the PCV sensor, relocate the DV harness.
2.5TFSI swaps are cool but way more expensive than youtube would have you think. Salvage cars skyrocketed in price. There's no evidence of any in the US making more than 400-500hp. A couple in the EU have ran 8s. Meh.

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
Well an LS is 27in long that's with the pullies on it and 23in wide with out headers. Height doesn't matter persay. Just from a quick measuring and my super accurate eyes ans measuring tape the LS will fit with a few inches to spare longitudinally. Width wise there is room for days after you relocate the battery. Main obstacle as far as fitment would be is getting the 4l80e to fit and everything it takes to make it a rwd set up. Needless to say I've also wanted a golf and a LS powered one so I think mk7 isn't the choice unless I hit the lotto. So mk1 or mk2 would definitely be the way to go. If I went that route it would be a dedicated drag car for sure. My brother and I have been looking for a vehicle to put the 4.8 in...