GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the final word on the Dogbone mount

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I currently have the PF hybrid puck in my stock steel subframe, but I bought an Audi aluminum one from a crashed A3 to upgrade. It has a different dogbone mount, so I have to move to a different solution. I'll probably be doing that whole front end swap before I get engine/trans mounts, because I have half the parts for it already.
The mount is the same, but there are two type of Dogbone insert based on the mounts. More than likely you had version 1 and this is version 2 or vice versa.
1668637389844.png

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
The mount is the same, but there are two type of Dogbone insert based on the mounts. More than likely you had version 1 and this is version 2 or vice versa.
View attachment 265778
Correct. The bushing shape is different, so I can't move my current hybrid puck over. I was just exploring the options and seeing if I could lower the NVH of the hybrid puck with a different mount. Otherwise, I like the PF puck.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I get you. I'm not against trying this thing, but these aftermarket parts don't get much testing, especially with all the different combinations of mounts, power levels, tires, etc. My concern is that the upgraded engine/trans mounts are helping control the transaxle movement and preventing the type of twisting forces that could cause the case to sheer.

Thanks. That's the setup I'd like to get to, but I'll probably do the PF puck, arm, and subframe before I get the BFI mounts.
The one case the “sheered” wasn’t even able to confirm that his bolts didn’t back out… in reality I’m sure that’s how his case broke cause the arm was now able to slide on them bolts and act as a slide hammer.

The rock euo arm does indeed flex and bend during the twisted forces that you were concerned of though.

I’ve run this arm with 2 different types of pucks and with both the full bfi billet mounts and some velt (o34/cts) stock style mounts with rubber with sticky 200 treadwear 265/35 tires. And have yet to be a dog wagon scenarios.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Honestly if you’re really concerned about nvh… I wouldn’t even do an insert or puck at all. Esp on an automatic car. My passat gt with the DSG and all stock mounts is already enough for me to notice that annoying vibration that it gets right when it’s engaging to drive.

And when I put one of the metal inserts I had sitting around (did barely anything to me GTI when I installed it years back) cause such an annoying about of NVH on my 21 Tiguan that I removed it after taking the car on 1-2 drives.

The autos deff. Have a lot more vibrations than the manual, that’s for sure. So for me I personally doubt I would be about to put up with an insert and the roc arm on a DSG golf.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Are there install instructions for the Roc-Euro arm? Mine didn't come with any, and I didn't see them on the product page. Mostly looking at things like torque spec\loc-tite stuff, since the actual install is pretty straight forward.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Has anyone ever removed these poly dogbone inserts after 50k+ miles? I’m curious if they hold up or should be replaced periodically.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Has anyone ever removed these poly dogbone inserts after 50k+ miles? I’m curious if they hold up or should be replaced periodically.
If anything it's the stock bushings themselves that should be replaced. They get tore up something fierce, especially with road crap that gets in between the bushing and the insert, slowly chewing it up.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
That's easy enough. Did you use loctite because you reused the bolts or that was with new ones + loctite? Also, is this with stock engine/trans mounts or upgraded? Sorry it's a lot of questions, but an $80 part's potential to cause a several thousand dollar repair is stressful. That's why I asked if people had experience with arms that have a bearing and if they had a similar effect with the PF puck.
When installed mine the bar came with new hardware and I also used BlueLoctite along with safety wire to be safe. Checked the bolts after a few hundred miles and after an oil changed and the torque marks were still lined up. I am running this with BFI Stage 1 engine and transmission mounts and the PowerFlex hybrid puck. It’s an excellent combo.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
The one case the “sheered” wasn’t even able to confirm that his bolts didn’t back out… in reality I’m sure that’s how his case broke cause the arm was now able to slide on them bolts and act as a slide hammer.

The rock euo arm does indeed flex and bend during the twisted forces that you were concerned of though.

I’ve run this arm with 2 different types of pucks and with both the full bfi billet mounts and some velt (o34/cts) stock style mounts with rubber with sticky 200 treadwear 265/35 tires. And have yet to be a dog wagon scenarios.
When installed mine the bar came with new hardware and I also used BlueLoctite along with safety wire to be safe. Checked the bolts after a few hundred miles and after an oil changed and the torque marks were still lined up. I am running this with BFI Stage 1 engine and transmission mounts and the PowerFlex hybrid puck. It’s an excellent combo.
Thanks for the impressions. I think I'll probably give the RocEuro arm + PF hybrid a try when it comes time to change my subframe. I almost never launch my car anyway.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
We installed it ourselves and put the correct bolts into the correct spots (sorta critical) and also used blue loctite on the 2 trans bolts.
Definitely loctite. Changed an LSD because a loose trans bolt diagnosed as bad LSD. Definitely felt like it.