GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESC Automatically Turning Back On

SneakyDeeky

Ready to race!
ISSUE: After I fully disable ECS Traction Control, it will automatically turn itself back on during aggressive driving.

BACKGROUND: I've been autocrossing my car since I bought it new in 2015 and had no issue with the TC staying completely off. However, a few months ago it started turning itself back on during an autocross run. It's increased in frequency to the point that it happens every time now, whereas it was previously only 2-3 times in a day of 12 timed runs. My suspicion is that it's connected to the fact that I replaced the DCC dampers with KW V3 coilovers a few months ago (as it started a few months after this). I have iSweep ECS delete modules installed at each corner to avoid the dash error codes.

Anybody else have this issue?

Other ideas:
- Faulty wheel speed sensors
- Something with the ABS / brake module / sensors

My car is heavily modified, but the mods are all years old except for the coilovers. I'm debating removing them and going back to the DCC with Eibach Pro Kit springs and Ground Control camber plates that I had before.

Link to list of mods (see bottom of first post): https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/sneakys-mk7-golf-r-build-thread-driving-adventures.7235509/

Screenshot_20221112_075654.png

Screenshot_20221112_080146.png

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I’m not completely knowledgeable on all the systems connected to the ESC.

A few things come to mind though, first any codes seen during a scan? Often times there can be a issue that doesn’t trigger the CEL.

Next if it happened after the coilovers, I’d be more inclined to start looking at the sensors that could have been damaged during install. Removing your DCC alone shouldn’t t cause this, so I’d start looking at the ABS sensors, plugged in, looking good? You can test them individually, or might be able to check them while driving.

How’s your battery condition?

Really just some basic things I’d start with if it were me.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Might be an issue with the ride height sensors. The cancelers mimic the electronic shock valves. However with potentially more compression travel on your coilovers the height sensors might run out of travel or it needs a new ride height calibration. Could very well be that this fault gets communicated to the ESP Ecu.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Why not code out DCC instead of buying the cancellers? I suppose using them makes it easy to go back to DCC but the coding is much less work than actually swapping suspension.

Reactions: krs

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Coding and re-wiring of rear ride height sensor necessary to keep autoleveling of headlights working.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
From what I remember my wiring diagram showed rear level sensor going directly to the headlight range module. And then DCC was coded to pull that info off the can bus.

Could also be the opposite, it's been a while, haha. That being said I do have facelift Golf R schematics on my desktop.

Edit: OP's car is a 2015, so pre-facelift. I have those schematics also and it's kind of strange. They show the rear left level sensor wired directly to the DCC module in the DCC section. But every other place where that sensor (G76) is shown it's connected to headlight range module and the BCM.

Last edited:

SneakyDeeky

Ready to race!
Good info and ideas, guys. Keep it coming. I take my car to Metric Autosport in Huntington Beach and they checked the ABS sensors and scanned with VCDS. Only codes were for adjustable headlights which has been an issue for years (intermittent wire somewhere), and wheel damping code.

SneakyDeeky

Ready to race!
I went ahead and had the coilovers removed. Next autocross is in 4 weeks so I wont be able to test if this fixed the issue until then.

For reference, the issue acts up and cuts power anytime I tried accelerating with steering angle input. Once I straighten the wheel out, it gives me the power I asked for. Fingers crossed it’s fixed now.

Last edited:

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
your issue is that your car is too low. i bent the level sensor arms and you need to raise the car bit by bit until you don't get the error.

i can almost 100% guarantee that's the issue

scrllock

Autocross Champion
From what I remember my wiring diagram showed rear level sensor going directly to the headlight range module. And then DCC was coded to pull that info off the can bus.

Could also be the opposite, it's been a while, haha. That being said I do have facelift Golf R schematics on my desktop.

Edit: OP's car is a 2015, so pre-facelift. I have those schematics also and it's kind of strange. They show the rear left level sensor wired directly to the DCC module in the DCC section. But every other place where that sensor (G76) is shown it's connected to headlight range module and the BCM.
DCC cars have it wired to the DCC module. If you do a full DCC delete, in addition to coding changes you have to rewire the AFS sensor to the BCM.

Given his issues I'd assume a bad DCC canceler. Or just poor wiring routing that's being stretched a bit too far and with too much steering angle it opens the circuit and causes a damping fault.

SneakyDeeky

Ready to race!
Off topic, but do you autocross with scca as well?

I might be moving to Las Vegas, looks like about 3.5-4 hr drive over to some of the so cal venues for racing. About what I drive to get to the San Francisco region events already.
I do from time to time, but now that I'm on the PCA board I attend each of our monthly events. AutoX more than once a month is tough to swing with my wife and kids. I'm blessed to be able to get out and drive as regularly as I do. Lots of my friends do both and I sim race with a bunch of the SCCA guys... small world of car nuts. :)
In general, PCA tries to make courses that are a little more high speed and like a small track (favors Porsches over Miatas), but there's only so much you can do in a parking lot. Plus, Miatas are king of autox.
I'd love to have some more VWs out at our events. Hope you can make it. If you're doing an SCCA event near me, shoot a message and I'll try to make it so we can meetup.

Reactions: krs