GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Gasoline Leak Problem

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
FINAL UPDATE: Got a surprise call from the dealer today around 4PM that they sourced the part early and the car was ready. Got out of the office early to pick it up and can confirm all is well once more. They replaced the suction pump, charcoal canister, and N80 valve (as well as purging the lines). All covered under the extended warranty for the suction pump and "consequential damage".

Feels great to have the car back! Lesson to anyone who may be affected: do your homework and see if you qualify for any additional warranties or assistance.

Lol just kidding. Car gave me a CEL today after about 50 miles since filling up last night (with no issue). Took the gas cap off today and noticed the same suction sound as before. It's running great and not leaking gas right now, but that's probably because the charcoal canister is new and empty.

Back to the dealer she goes... :cry:

UPDATE: Took it back to the dealer and scanned the code - turns out it was an intermittent short circuit for the fuel level sender. Cleared the code and it hasn't come back, though if it does we'll want to check the connection and/or replace the part. Also, the suction noise I hear when opening the gas cap is normal - I've apparently had a small EVAP leak for a while then since I haven't heard that sound in forever lol. All is well - relieved that the work they performed isn't an issue. What a rollercoaster...

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
So the CEL came back on Wednesday after another 50-60 miles of driving, but turned off yesterday on its own. Its remained off today as well, and the fuel level has been showing correctly the entire time.

Has anyone else experienced an intermittent CEL related to the fuel level sender after getting any suction pump/charcoal canister work done? Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow so they can check it, but of course they will want to just replace the sender. Wondering if maybe something just needed time to recalibrate or cycle.

Aside from that small hiccup, car is running great. I confirmed I'm still able to add fuel as well, so suction pump and canister definitely were the issue (vs. the entire tank).

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
So the CEL came back on Wednesday after another 50-60 miles of driving, but turned off yesterday on its own. Its remained off today as well, and the fuel level has been showing correctly the entire time.

Has anyone else experienced an intermittent CEL related to the fuel level sender after getting any suction pump/charcoal canister work done? Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow so they can check it, but of course they will want to just replace the sender. Wondering if maybe something just needed time to recalibrate or cycle.

Aside from that small hiccup, car is running great. I confirmed I'm still able to add fuel as well, so suction pump and canister definitely were the issue (vs. the entire tank).
Ok, so we're finally squared away. The CEL was only for the fuel level sender which was clearly getting old/worn. I was likely going to have that CEL sometime soon anyway, but disturbing it while performing the other work probably caused it to have some intermittent issues now. You can see how worn it had gotten after 8.5 years:

1667100920152.png

Replaced the level sender (unfortunately not under the extended warranty the other work was covered under) and all is 100% back as it should be.

Glad this is all finally resolved lol. Hope my ramblings might help someone else in the future!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

Pic taken from another thread. USPS shows I have (what appears to be) the same letter from VWoA arriving today. Wow, thanks VWoA! Assholes lmao

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Pic taken from another thread. USPS shows I have (what appears to be) the same letter from VWoA arriving today. Wow, thanks VWoA! Assholes lmao

You got one for a 2020 GTI.. makes me want to check for a 2017 GTI now Just in case

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3

What are the odds that my car triggered these letters to go out? Lol. Nobody knew about this warranty until I called Customer Care last month.

1667918456215.png

You got one for a 2020 GTI.. makes me want to check for a 2017 GTI now Just in case
My car is a 2015 and qualified, so you will likely too

Last edited:

pdotmunz

Car(s)
mk7
I had the same issue on my 2017 GTI. Sadly volkswagen denied my reimbursement claim. I got en email from them over the weekend that stated:
Each warranty extension covers a specific component. This warranty extension covers a replacement of the fuel tank suction jet pump, should a diagnosis confirm it failed due to a manufacturing defect. The rollover valve that caused the concern on your vehicle is a different component, and is not covered under this campaign. Therefore, I am unable to meet your expectation of reimbursement for this repair.
Here's the diagnostics notes from my repair:
Upon Inspection of vehicle, gas odor present, Lifted vehicle and found wet spots on PR fender liner of fuel. Removed PR wheel and fender liner. Disconnected lines from Evap canister and found fuel inside. Rollover valve for fuel tank stuck closed, not allowing vapors to escape keeping pressure in fuel system preventing refueling.Must replace evap lines due to fuel in lines and associated parts including oil separator and evap
And here's the parts that were replaced:
  • Installed 5WA201055C : TANK
  • Installed 5Q0201160AQ : BREATHER
  • Installed 1J091913313 : WASHER
  • Installed N 90693804 : BOLT
  • Installed N 91229601 : BOLT
  • Installed 5Q0201797L : EVAPCANIST
  • Installed N 90994201 : POP-RIVET
  • Installed N 91068501 : NUT
Kind of bummed, because the repair cost me over $3,000.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I had the same issue on my 2017 GTI. Sadly volkswagen denied my reimbursement claim. I got en email from them over the weekend that stated:

Here's the diagnostics notes from my repair:

And here's the parts that were replaced:
  • Installed 5WA201055C : TANK
  • Installed 5Q0201160AQ : BREATHER
  • Installed 1J091913313 : WASHER
  • Installed N 90693804 : BOLT
  • Installed N 91229601 : BOLT
  • Installed 5Q0201797L : EVAPCANIST
  • Installed N 90994201 : POP-RIVET
  • Installed N 91068501 : NUT
Kind of bummed, because the repair cost me over $3,000.
Yikes.

Had this problem on a 2016 1.8 TSI - got a used tank - parts and labour $700 CAD.

pdotmunz

Car(s)
mk7
Yes, it wasn't a cheap (or quick) repair.

I've been trying to understand this issue a bit more. I found this youtube video

from what I can tell the rollover valve may have been stuck in the closed position because the fuel tank suction pump wasn't pulling the check ball valve (?) down.

Is it possible that a stuck rollover valve could be a symptom of a faulty suction jet pump?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Tbh you should've been grilling the dealer with those types of questions before you paid up... seems like your attitude was more along the lines of "it's a bummer but it is what it is", which is what VWOA hopes for

pdotmunz

Car(s)
mk7
Tbh you should've been grilling the dealer with those types of questions before you paid up... seems like your attitude was more along the lines of "it's a bummer but it is what it is", which is what VWOA hopes for

Yeah, I definitely should have grilled them at the time. Expensive lesson learned I guess.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
2016 Golf R here with the same fueling issues. However, I do not smell any fuel near the canister, nothing is wet or damp neither does it look like it's had any fuel leaking out. Going to buy the suction pump and give it a go sometime soon.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
2016 GTI
My last fuel up the pump wouldnt let me put in more than a half gallon at a time before it would shutoff so I moved to another pump and the car let me fuel up like regular and I didn't think much of it. A couple days later I was driving and noticed a weird sputtering and knew something was wrong. After I got home I noticed fuel in my driveway coming from the passenger rear wheel well. I took wheel and fender liner off and found it was coming from my evap cannister.
I'm guessing it was from me overfilling but I'm not certain since there was a recall on this exact issue.

I ended up changing the suction pump in the fuel tank, the evap cannister and the evap purge valve just to be safe. So far no leaks and the car seems to be driving like normal.

Part number for the suction pump is 5Q0 201 029
I thought it's in the fuel tank & you have to replace the whole tank?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Experienced this issue on my car for the second time now. First time was back in 2015 before the recall was issued - got the entire fuel tank and evap system replaced under warranty. This time, I'm well out of warranty but still opted to go through the dealer on the off chance that its still covered as part of the recall, etc. Helps to have a paper trail and parts/labor guarantee too.

Not much luck to begin with - it was looking like $1000+ for the suction pump, charcoal canister, N80, and labor. But after contacting VW Customer Care, it turns out there is a factory extended warranty on the suction pump - 15 years/150,000 miles. Waiting to hear back from the dealer as they look into this further. Frustrating that I had to do the legwork (and even more frustrating to have this stupid issue for the second time), but fingers crossed it gets covered. I miss my car lol.

All that said - if this happens on your car, be sure to look into the factory extended warranty on the suction pump (and "consequential damage" coverage for the charcoal canister, etc). VW clearly knows this is a weak point.
Just curious. Do you have the documentation that this is covered up to 15 years & 150,000 miles.

I went to fill up today & it started spitting up fuel. Had to fill very slowly. I'm thinking I have this issue.

I looked up my VIN & despite it being a 2016, didn't show that it was part of the recall.

Also, what kind of questions should I be asking the dealer if they try to say it's something else & should I take to my indie shop first?