GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Is the EQT and others emissions legal in all 50 states?
They’re making it so, and apr isn’t technically either. I say this because the previous comment said “you shouldn’t be comparing our turbo” when reality is we should be and we will be.

Last edited:

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
As a seasoned pricing professional and someone who frequently works with private equity companies (double whammy), I think APR's DTR6054 is a brilliant offering for those upgrading from IS12 or IS20 (someone said this already). Even more so if you are trying to stay emissions compliant (obviously). Purchasing the base unit from FCP Euro with WG actuator is going to cost around $1800 before tax and shipping and it comes with a tune and lifetime hardware warranty through FCP Euro. APR has already laid out a clear upgrade pathway using various fueling options, and they will have many of their customers locked up in its ecosystem until other tuners jump in with their own OTS tunes. Believe me, APR will also offer (or at least attempt to offer) an OTS tune for this specific turbo with APR's own downpipe and APR's fueling upgrades over time. It's going to be so much easier to come up with an OTS tune for a hybrid turbo if all other factors are controlled. I am not trying to present APR as the big bad corporate wolf. Instead, for those who are ready for a turbo upgrade now but want more headroom in the future, I think this turbo is a solid option as long as you are not looking for reliable 450-500 whp.

Is this the right turbo (not the overall package) for you? I haven't seen enough documented results and feedback so we should probably rely on known numbers and physics for now.

Golf R IS38 stage 1 93 octane tune high torque (more fair comparison vs DTR6054; APR's numbers estimated from graph)
@ 2000 rpm -> 205 wtq
@ 2500 rpm -> 295 wtq
@ 3000 rpm -> 345 wtq
@ 3500 rpm -> 355 wtq

Golf R DTR6054 93 octane tune (APR's numbers estimated from graph)
@ 2000 rpm -> not provided
@ 2500 rpm -> 220 wtq
@ 3000 rpm -> 300 wtq
@ 3500 rpm -> 360 wtq (looks to be when it hits peak boost)
Obviously with larger compressor and mostly larger turbine, DTR6054 is going to maintain boost better at higher rpm range than IS38 (or IS38+)

Golf R GT2260S Stratified tune (estimated from Stratified's youtube video; looks like CTS Turbo open intake, downpipe, fuel quality unknown, etc; obviously difficult to compare dyno vs dyno and OTS tune vs custom tune)
@ 2800 rpm -> 360 wtq (looks to be when it hits peak boost) and pretty linear after that
This turbo is easily my favorite on paper for my needs and presents so much value. The only thing that prevented me from buying this has been consistent feedback from multiple tuners regarding boost control difficulties. The majority of tuners I spoke to do not sell their own turbos.

Golf R Vortex Standard (estimated from a EQT's website; 91 octane, HPFP, downpipe, etc; again difficult to compare dyno vs dyno and OTS tune vs custom tune)
@ 2000 rpm -> 150 wtq
@ 2500 rpm -> 200 wtq
@ 3000 rpm -> 250 wtq
@ 3500 rpm -> 370 wtq
@ 3800 rpm -> 430 wtq (looks to be when it hits peak boost)

I think the choice between IS38 (or IS38+) vs DTR6054 comes down to your driving style and preference. If you do mostly city driving, then IS38 is probably going to be easier and better to live with. But if you do a lot of driving on highways or B-roads and you frequently let the horses run wild, then DTR6054 is likely a better choice over IS38 (or IS38+). Then you might think that Vortex Standard appears to cross over with DTR6054 around 3500 rpm. However, this is comparing no downpipe vs downpipe and more conservative OTS tune vs more aggressive custom tune. I would guess DTR6054 with downpipe and HPFP on 91 octane would make close to 400 wtq @ 3500 rpm and the two curves would cross over closer to 3700 rpm. So maybe when it comes to DTR6054 vs Vortex Standard, it looks like yet another step change in trade off between responsiveness and power. Does anyone have data to display transient response of these turbos for comparison?

I know I am not the only one who is looking for a turbo with IS38 responsiveness but with slightly more power potential and ability to maintain boost past 5000 rpm. If such a turbo exists, then please let me know. What is the closest in your opinion?

J

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Screenshot_20220626-145418_dragy.jpg
got jons dragy in the mail the other day. Just took it on a few quick runs. Not very impressive obviously. Its 75 degrees out, pretty nice day. Still stock intercooler.

The first two runs, launch control at about 4k, left in auto sport mode.
The first run felt strong. The second run the 1-2 and rhe 2-3 shifts felt really harsh. Not sure if it was the transmission, the mounts, maybe my downpipe smacking the undercarriage, or the awd enabling and somethings wrong or what that was all about.
The third run i shifted manually and probably a little short on all shifts.

Screenshot_20220626-144646_dragy.jpg

Screenshot_20220626-144651_dragy.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Wow. And 8.5 seconds does FEEL quick but 7.5s gotta be awesome, and on a GTI!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Im pulling timing thats for sure lol.
On a plus side though all runs were similar so considering my first run was with the car berely up to operating temp its not like each run got slower with the stock intercooler.

And sorry @Wastegate13 i was going off your avatar alone to think that run was for a gti

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
The second run the 1-2 and rhe 2-3 shifts felt really harsh. Not sure if it was the transmission, the mounts, maybe my downpipe smacking the undercarriage, or the awd enabling and somethings wrong or what that was all about.
Wow. My car does the exact same thing! I had the exact same thought process of "what the hell was that"
I actually got a video of it happening:

Makes me feel better that its not just my car. It's never done that before the DTR but when it happens it feels like the engine is falling out of the car and you can feel the shudder through the whole car. Not a fan.

Here is my theory on it. It doesn't happen when the car is in kill mode (less then 90F IAT's) It only happens when the IAT's are well above 100F. So I think the ECU is pulling so much timing, and pulling so much HP, that when the TCU shifts, it's expecting much more power and uses too much clutch pressure and causes the nasty shift. Just a theory. Would love APR to look into this too.

@timmyturbo That's absolutely hilarious. I still haven't heard back from APR from over a month ago about my slow track performance. Clearly with the dragy results I posted on the street in comparison, something isn't quite right. It's been pretty warm lately and you can tell the car doesn't feel 100%. I was actually heading towards the MPI e85 option until I reached out to another person currently running it and he took his car to the track recently and I won't go into further detail with it, but isn't want I was expecting and I'm sure it wasn't what he was expecting either. I'd love to do more with this kit and show you guys the DTR is a great option, but without further troubleshooting support from APR I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

Also, just a quick update on the emissions monitors, on the one screen it says 0000000 as in all monitors are good, yet on the other page it still says the fuel monitor isn't set. Weird.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
As a seasoned pricing professional and someone who frequently works with private equity companies (double whammy), I think APR's DTR6054 is a brilliant offering for those upgrading from IS12 or IS20 (someone said this already). Even more so if you are trying to stay emissions compliant (obviously). Purchasing the base unit from FCP Euro with WG actuator is going to cost around $1800 before tax and shipping and it comes with a tune and lifetime hardware warranty through FCP Euro. APR has already laid out a clear upgrade pathway using various fueling options, and they will have many of their customers locked up in its ecosystem until other tuners jump in with their own OTS tunes. Believe me, APR will also offer (or at least attempt to offer) an OTS tune for this specific turbo with APR's own downpipe and APR's fueling upgrades over time. It's going to be so much easier to come up with an OTS tune for a hybrid turbo if all other factors are controlled. I am not trying to present APR as the big bad corporate wolf. Instead, for those who are ready for a turbo upgrade now but want more headroom in the future, I think this turbo is a solid option as long as you are not looking for reliable 450-500 whp.

Is this the right turbo (not the overall package) for you? I haven't seen enough documented results and feedback so we should probably rely on known numbers and physics for now.

Golf R IS38 stage 1 93 octane tune high torque (more fair comparison vs DTR6054; APR's numbers estimated from graph)
@ 2000 rpm -> 205 wtq
@ 2500 rpm -> 295 wtq
@ 3000 rpm -> 345 wtq
@ 3500 rpm -> 355 wtq

Golf R DTR6054 93 octane tune (APR's numbers estimated from graph)
@ 2000 rpm -> not provided
@ 2500 rpm -> 220 wtq
@ 3000 rpm -> 300 wtq
@ 3500 rpm -> 360 wtq (looks to be when it hits peak boost)
Obviously with larger compressor and mostly larger turbine, DTR6054 is going to maintain boost better at higher rpm range than IS38 (or IS38+)

Golf R GT2260S Stratified tune (estimated from Stratified's youtube video; looks like CTS Turbo open intake, downpipe, fuel quality unknown, etc; obviously difficult to compare dyno vs dyno and OTS tune vs custom tune)
@ 2800 rpm -> 360 wtq (looks to be when it hits peak boost) and pretty linear after that
This turbo is easily my favorite on paper for my needs and presents so much value. The only thing that prevented me from buying this has been consistent feedback from multiple tuners regarding boost control difficulties. The majority of tuners I spoke to do not sell their own turbos.

Golf R Vortex Standard (estimated from a EQT's website; 91 octane, HPFP, downpipe, etc; again difficult to compare dyno vs dyno and OTS tune vs custom tune)
@ 2000 rpm -> 150 wtq
@ 2500 rpm -> 200 wtq
@ 3000 rpm -> 250 wtq
@ 3500 rpm -> 370 wtq
@ 3800 rpm -> 430 wtq (looks to be when it hits peak boost)

I think the choice between IS38 (or IS38+) vs DTR6054 comes down to your driving style and preference. If you do mostly city driving, then IS38 is probably going to be easier and better to live with. But if you do a lot of driving on highways or B-roads and you frequently let the horses run wild, then DTR6054 is likely a better choice over IS38 (or IS38+). Then you might think that Vortex Standard appears to cross over with DTR6054 around 3500 rpm. However, this is comparing no downpipe vs downpipe and more conservative OTS tune vs more aggressive custom tune. I would guess DTR6054 with downpipe and HPFP on 91 octane would make close to 400 wtq @ 3500 rpm and the two curves would cross over closer to 3700 rpm. So maybe when it comes to DTR6054 vs Vortex Standard, it looks like yet another step change in trade off between responsiveness and power. Does anyone have data to display transient response of these turbos for comparison?

I know I am not the only one who is looking for a turbo with IS38 responsiveness but with slightly more power potential and ability to maintain boost past 5000 rpm. If such a turbo exists, then please let me know. What is the closest in your opinion?

J
I’ll update you on my gt2260 results when I get it on. Looking forward to it.